Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer

Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer (http://www.five12.net/index.php)
-   Five12 News (http://www.five12.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Controller updates: iPad 2, the Arduinome & Gridfestival (http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=1324)

jim 03-14-2011 02:25 PM

Controller updates: iPad 2, the Arduinome & Gridfestival

I managed to pick up an iPad 2 (16GB, Black, Wifi) last Friday before they sold out. Just for reference, I arrived at Best Buy at 4:30 (PM), got in line, somewhere around 70 people in front of me. I had a 'ticket' for the model I wanted by around 5:30 and was done with the purchase at about 6:20PM.

Of course, I'll be using it to control Numerology, and will be running some tests to determine what the best way to improve that experience...

Also, I recently found out about Gridfestival (http://gridfestival.com), which is a grid-controller (monome, arduinome, etc.) festival happening in Santa Fe early in May. I plan to go, and signed up to build an arduinome, so I'll also have a new grid controller -- bringing the total to 3: Launchpad, Livid Block, Arduinome. I've been looking for ways to bring some or all of the Launchpad mapping for Numerology to other grid controllers, so this will be a good opportunity to move forward in that direction.

BTW: If you are a monome user, drop me an email or post here. I am looking for some feedback on how to build a Numerology mapping for it. The Block isn't too hard, as it has some 'extra-grid' buttons to handle mode switching, but the monome is quite a challenge, as the mapping needs the whole grid for sequence editing, but I need at least one 'mode-switch' on top of all that...

Cheers,
Jim

Ray 03-14-2011 05:03 PM

Great.... but, is a Numerology App even possible?
Might be a blessing for those of us who still love our PCs.

amsonx 03-14-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim (Post 6080)
I managed to pick up an iPad 2 (16GB, Black, Wifi) last Friday before they sold out. Just for reference, I arrived at Best Buy at 4:30 (PM), got in line, somewhere around 70 people in front of me. I had a 'ticket' for the model I wanted by around 5:30 and was done with the purchase at about 6:20PM.

Of course, I'll be using it to control Numerology, and will be running some tests to determine what the best way to improve that experience...

Cheers,
Jim

i was thinking that i never buy an iPad : this change my perspective ..
great news jim, thanks.

tomoe97 03-15-2011 09:35 AM

Jim, be sure to check out StepPolyArp for your iPad. It's not as developed as Numerology, but it is by far the best step sequencer app to appear on the iPad thus far. Perhaps it will give you some ideas about how to port Numerology to the iPad.

jim 03-15-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6081)
Great.... but, is a Numerology App even possible?
Might be a blessing for those of us who still love our PCs.

Yes, something like Numerology -- obviously with some major changes in the UI -- is totally doable, but represents a very serious time commitment. In addition to re-designing and rewriting the UI, most of the internal algorithms would have to be modified to use fixed-point instead of floating-point math, so lots of time-consuming details, etc.

At this point I'm just focused on determining the best solution for controlling Numerology from an iPad --- it might involve a template for TouchOSC, or something else...

Cheers,
Jim

jim 03-15-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomoe97 (Post 6089)
Jim, be sure to check out StepPolyArp for your iPad. It's not as developed as Numerology, but it is by far the best step sequencer app to appear on the iPad thus far. Perhaps it will give you some ideas about how to port Numerology to the iPad.

Will do...

Cheers,
Jim

renderful 03-15-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomoe97 (Post 6089)

I'll second this.

renderful 03-15-2011 09:26 PM

Just had a StepPolyArp -> Network Midi -> Numerology Session with Launchpad. I can see so many possibilities... wow. Nothing too complex now, just a workflow-spark!

kodama 03-18-2011 10:23 AM

Excited for iOS possibilities! :D

A tablet running a N3 type of sequencer could bridge the hardware-computer divide for many people!

newgreyarea 03-20-2011 10:35 PM

Yeah, just the MIDI bits would be nice and the iPad should be powerful enough to run 16 channels of delicious MIDI I would think.
Preset/Mixer page would be needed as well. Maybe not the mixer but maybe the mute/solo parts.
Keep it simple and performance oriented.
-b

. ..... and a Launchpad alternative controller app for the computer version of Num would be ace.