Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer

Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer (http://www.five12.net/index.php)
-   Feature Requests (http://www.five12.net/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Customizing GUI (http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=2692)

PLaine 03-26-2014 03:20 PM

Customizing GUI
 
Hi,

Here's a request for having more options for adjusting numerology project's GUI and especially lengths:

Most typically, I'd like to have more space for Presets taken from Modules. This is usually when the arrangement is done and I am actually playing my arrangement. (Many times I've unconsciously tried to drag this line witch separates Presets and Modules, but of course with no success ;) This is how it's done in so many programs, you know….)

Other thing is Mixer GUI. Those stacks are so narrow that most of my screen is for nothing. For example if I have 8 stacks, still half of my 22 inch screen is empty. I think this is waste of space. In Mixer view I'd really like to adjust those stack widths and also font sizes. Now it's really difficult to see presets and stack names are quite often cut because of this narrow length.

I know well, we all use Numerology differently, in our own special way. That's the power of it. So in my opinion it would be also great to make it look how we like. More options the better.

thx,
P

jim 03-26-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLaine (Post 12329)
Most typically, I'd like to have more space for Presets taken from Modules. This is usually when the arrangement is done and I am actually playing my arrangement. (Many times I've unconsciously tried to drag this line witch separates Presets and Modules, but of course with no success ;) This is how it's done in so many programs, you know….)

Indeed -- and I turned that on to try it out, but there was going to be quite a bit of work to get all the details right, so I turned it off to keep scope under control for N4. Next time around, I'm planning a big UI overhaul that would include that and much more...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLaine (Post 12329)
Other thing is Mixer GUI. Those stacks are so narrow that most of my screen is for nothing. For example if I have 8 stacks, still half of my 22 inch screen is empty. I think this is waste of space. In Mixer view I'd really like to adjust those stack widths and also font sizes. Now it's really difficult to see presets and stack names are quite often cut because of this narrow length.

I know well, we all use Numerology differently, in our own special way. That's the power of it. So in my opinion it would be also great to make it look how we like. More options the better.

Indeed -- a more flexible layout would do much to make the program work better on large, wide screens, as well as on multiple screens. Interesting to hear that you'd like an option for fatter mixer channels -- I'd thought of something along those lines, but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested...

Cheers,
Jim

PLaine 03-07-2015 08:18 AM

Hi Jim and others too!

This is just a small reminder that to me customizing Numerology GUI would be the most important improvement. I've spoken elsewhere about special "Live mode" which would have just those items on screen that user needs and also chance to control sizes and color etc. Maybe this would be the best solution for both composing and live playing. I have my mac book pro 13 inch on stage with me and I must say it's very hard to see what I am doing with Numerology and there's so much unnecessary stuff on screen to make it more difficult. Also when I open a project in the middle of show, I need to go to certain stack and have too many mouse clicks to get the view what I want. All this takes time which is very valuable on stage, you know. Live mode would solve all these problems I believe.

Per Boysen 03-07-2015 09:35 AM

I too was quite concerned about this but since I started using the Ableton Push it hasn't felt that urgent. There are still parameters that are neither accessible for direct MIDI control nor for internal CV control - and I think fixing that is a higher priority (for example switching between manual and playlist control of stack preset changing). But of course, it would be super nice to be able to do stuff like setting up a screen with just one of the Triple XY grids to have a perfect visual feedback on the creeping Glide value... etc etc.

The ideal GUI I think is found in Apple's Mainstage; anything can me made visual in any format and color.

jim 03-08-2015 12:58 PM

A 'custom panel' solution is indeed on the list but for after 4.1. In the meanwhile, what I use is TouchOSC on the iPad, in combination with a couple Launchpads. I've also seen folks use the FaderBox & TripleXY…

Cheers,
Jim

PLaine 03-08-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim (Post 13724)
A 'custom panel' solution is indeed on the list but for after 4.1. In the meanwhile, what I use is TouchOSC on the iPad, in combination with a couple Launchpads. I've also seen folks use the FaderBox & TripleXY…

Cheers,
Jim

Wow! Any hint when we might get this 'custom panel'?

Btw, at the moment there's one small thing which really might help me to get those extra seconds on stage: if projects would remember the last view before saving… Perhaps this ain't very important thing to all of us but I believe nobody would be against that either.

jue 03-08-2015 11:05 PM

projects would remember the last view before saving
 
PLaine wrote:
projects would remember the last view before saving

second, third and fourth this
best
jue

and the import from stack in the VST plugin

Per Boysen 03-09-2015 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLaine (Post 13730)
projects would remember the last view before saving… Perhaps this ain't very important thing to all of us but I believe nobody would

With that functionality implemented I would like to also have an option for the opposite - because that's how I work with concert performance setups. If I fool around and make stuff up during a concert and then close the app without saving I'd like to be sure that the session opens up next time with no traces of whatever was going on at the last gig. All empty Gate Sequencers and everything else exactly the way I once have designed and saved it for a starting point.

One idea to meet user's varying needs could be to implement the preferences option to have Numerology start with a user template. Then we could set up different templates for different types of sessions. In the File Menu there could be also a "Save As Template" option that saves a copy somewhere inside the Mac OS user system folder.

jim 03-12-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLaine (Post 13730)
Wow! Any hint when we might get this 'custom panel'?

Not yet -- I haven't prioritized any new features yet after the big two for 4.1: MIDI Import & APC-something+LaunchControl 'mixer' support.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLaine (Post 13730)
Btw, at the moment there's one small thing which really might help me to get those extra seconds on stage: if projects would remember the last view before saving… Perhaps this ain't very important thing to all of us but I believe nobody would be against that either.

That's something I've been trying to address quietly here and there -- remembering which stack was last 'current', etc….

Jim

jim 03-12-2015 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jue (Post 13735)
and the import from stack in the VST plugin

:D:D:D


[Funny, the forum software wouldn't let me just post 3 smileys…]

Jim


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.