Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer

Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer (http://www.five12.net/index.php)
-   Integration (http://www.five12.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   MidiFX timing off in Logic X (http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=2698)

kenric 03-28-2014 06:52 PM

MidiFX timing off in Logic X

Hi,
I am running three instances of N4 build 133 as MidiFX plugins in Logic X. When I press play on the transport the three instances are immediately out of sync. When I run one instance it seems to be fine. What is the preferred way to have multiple stacks running in sync with Logic?

EDIT: Ok, Rewire magically started working right after I posted this so I'm using that but the above still stands.

Thanks!

Kenric

jim 03-29-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenric (Post 12361)
Hi,
I am running three instances of N4 build 133 as MidiFX plugins in Logic X. When I press play on the transport the three instances are immediately out of sync. When I run one instance it seems to be fine. What is the preferred way to have multiple stacks running in sync with Logic?

The MidiFX plugin is the best option. I'll run some tests over here to see what might be going on w.r.t. sync. In the meanwhile, make sure all AU timing prefs are turned off-- "Enable Sample Accurate MIDI" and so on. Those prefs are not relevant for the MidiFX version and I'll be removing them in the next few days.

Jim

Per Boysen 05-03-2014 10:24 AM

I just mocked up a little piece of music in Logic X with the Numerology MIDI FX. I just ran the Kaleidoscopy Num Stack to get some note material for testing. When recording MIDI to the Logic track I found that all notes from Numerology are 46 or 47 tics late in Logic's sequencer.

So what I did to create a quartet piece was to set the Num Note Generators to spit out MIDI by four different MIDI channels and after having recorded one MIDI Region in Logic, and moved all note events 46 tics earlier, I did "split by MIDI channel" in Logic and started working on assigning playback synths for the four channels.

BTW, here's the recording:
http://looproom.com/audio/kaleidoscopic_numerology.mp3

Logic's summing track stacks are really useful when drivng multiple parts by different (Logic MIDI plugin) arpeggiators but I don't think there's a way to throw in Numerology as a central brain instead of those arps. One way is to open a Num MIDI FX on each one of the Logic summing stack's sub tracks. Then you loose out on the excellent general GUI of Numerolgy. It's hard to get the best side of every tool working together. If only the Num MIDI FX would report automation parameters to Logic we would have a powerful way to compose by Numerology's modularity through the Logic automation system on the summing track and its sub tracks.

ignatius 05-04-2014 12:10 AM

does the midiFX plug in show up only in certain versions of logic/OS X?

it's never shown up for me in logic proX in OS X 10.8.5

Groovetronic 05-04-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ignatius (Post 12491)
does the midiFX plug in show up only in certain versions of logic/OS X?

Yes, it only shows up in Mavericks.

jim 05-04-2014 01:25 PM

For some reason LogicX will load MIDI FX AUs on 10.8, but does not run them correctly -- confirmed by apple, so it is installed on 10.9 only...

Jim

Per Boysen 05-04-2014 01:41 PM

I did the test on 10.9.2.

jim 05-04-2014 01:43 PM

Yup -- I'll be testing that and some UI stuff on 10.9 all-day tomorrow...

Jim

ignatius 05-04-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim (Post 12496)
For some reason LogicX will load MIDI FX AUs on 10.8, but does not run them correctly -- confirmed by apple, so it is installed on 10.9 only...

Jim

such a bummer

jim 05-07-2014 11:38 PM

I've confirmed the latency issue w/ the MIDI FX version of N4 in LogicX --- it is directly related to the count-in (as far as I can tell). Turning off the count-in seems to fix it for now. I'll be looking into a fix later this week...

Jim