Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer

Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer (http://www.five12.net/index.php)
-   General Questions (http://www.five12.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   monome no ipad yes! (http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=1639)

ambientidm 09-25-2011 02:42 AM

monome no ipad yes!

hi jim

please don't spend your valuable time with n3 integration with the monome

spend that time on the ipad!

i have a gs128 and i was going to sell it until i found out that stretta is going to port this to m4l
http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=11887
plane is fricking brilliant for the monome
it's an amazing and unique way to sequence with a monochromatic grid

n3 needs something like the ipad to effectively utilize it's awesome power
maybe even an ipad native "performer edition" that just sends multi channel midi out
whitenoise genome has the right idea but i think n3 for the ipad could blow it away with coremidi ios

the only other grid i can see worth the effort would be the livid rgb stuff
hopefully a rgb block will be available soon

sincerely
jack

TwoToneshuzz 09-25-2011 02:52 AM

Nice with the ipad but we have the launchpad now!

I think the iPad is okay.. But now we have a launchpad that's just recieved a quite extensive upgrade intergration with Numerology..

I personally believe that the tactile inteface with buttons that respond to human pressure is more satisfying to use.. Yes the funcionality is limited and not so cameleon like as the ipad..

But then again the piano the flute or the violin are also fixed interfaces..

The thing that gets me with the iPad is that if I want to close my eyes or work with half closed eyes, while playing I would lose all sense of orientation..

With the launchpad with time..and practice. I could actually use the tactile feel of the grid to orientate myself.. I play piano with closed eyes all the time.

Ipad has it's uses exciting technology but tactile interfaces seem more instrument like..

The Ipad would of course be usable with eye's closed with kaos pad type use..

I think too for my own budget If I was going to drop the kind of cash for the ipad I'd prefer just to use it to get a macbook, and use my magic track pad for xy or whatever..

I frankly am getting somewhat tired of the audio eye candy, and just want my tools to work and then keep out of the way..

I'm a photorapher as well so I've got plenty of pretty pictures to look at if that's what I'm up to..

Wade

ambientidm 09-25-2011 03:11 AM

i get what you are saying about the tactile approach

but if n3 was simplified for performance sequencing with a beautiful interface to go along it could a tremendous upgrade over the launchpad that is worth keeping your eyes opened for :)

kaoss style stuff yes absolutely, omnispheres app shows that done to perfection with the orb

once again a special streamlined performer edition with a specialized gui could be revolutionary

amsonx 09-25-2011 03:31 AM

Well..i don't have an iPad but an iPod 2g that i've catch to see if the touch interface is for me, i like it but i find it too "cold" for me even in i like use it but as Wade as says the LP feel more as an instruments.

I'm much more curios in what a control surface as the Madrona Soundplane A (will be showed in the end of september) can interact with Numerology..

http://madronalabs.com/

TwoToneshuzz 09-25-2011 03:58 AM

Hope I didn't come of like dumb!

I know the iPad is probably the coolest when you have one and you want to expand it's uses..

As a portable sequencing solution for people on the go it would be great for sure..

My lifestyle at present is pretty routed so I'm just in my mini studio almost too much, so when I'm out the last thing I want to do is look at another computer screen.. But for live perfomance, on a sturdy stand or something, if would be really sweet.

Good luck Jack getting your dream setup up and running..

I have looked at the Madrona Sound plane.. Hmmm I'm a long time pianist so I'm so satisfied with banging on the keys but incombination with the keys this could be really sweet.. What I'm afraid with these featureless type expanses is that fine, detailed control is extremely difficult to acheive.. It takes years to learn to play the violin in part because it's fretless and every intonation inaccuracy is painfully apparent.. So the featurless interfaces have to be smart, to second guess what you want your gestures to do.. Difficult and time consuming to program such things to the indivduals specific intentions.

Wade

ambientidm 09-25-2011 09:51 AM

i play keys as well my korg z1 and virus ti are fantastic but i love running lots of sequences too with much knob twiddling and fx tweaking and i see the ipad as perhaps the best current interface or this
endless configurations for tailored to the user setups

liines cliip app for ableton live is really great but it does not have the immense capabilities that n3 has

white noise genome midi sequencer looks pretty good

for me i like the blending of live performance and the studio
long collective improv jams in the cosmic realms is my deal :)
i was born in the seventies and i guess i just stayed there

as far as the soundplane goes i would wait for the completion of morphwiz midi
eric persing asked jordan rudess to design it for use with omnisphere and i guess he said yes
it's a muti-channel midi continuum type app with various scales for the ipad
it should be quite nice for performing with things like independent pitch bending

Zombitron 10-01-2011 04:03 PM

This joker is literally saying dont support interesting, flexible, independently developed hardware instrument/controller...Support a corporately designed, Chinese manufactured, focus group approved oversized phone. Tisk tisk...May as well say please stop developing Numerology and buy Live.

Please do support the monome, Livid, Midifighter, and Midibox64! Infact, Id love to see more direct support for things like the Livid builder and other DIY controller platforms.

The only big brand software I own is Reason. Numerology and Renoise is my favorite combo any day over Ablefags...I will admit I find $200 a little steep compared to Renoise, EnergyXT, and Reaper...But Infact, Im gonna submit a feature request right now that would make it worth every cent!

jim 10-02-2011 12:12 PM

I'm rewriting the Launchpad mapping to be grid-agnostic, at least as much as possible, so it will not matter whether the grid generates OSC (monome, or a grid in TouchOSC) or MIDI (Launchpad or Livid) -- except that monochromatic grids will be a bit harder to use, and grids other than the launchpad will require some 'extra-grid' controls (MIDI or OSC) to handle navigation.

Also, I have both a Livid Block & a monome 64 for testing -- and friends with larger monomes when I'm ready for them...

Cheers,
Jim

ambientidm 10-03-2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombitron (Post 7696)
This joker is literally saying dont support interesting, flexible, independently developed hardware instrument/controller...Support a corporately designed, Chinese manufactured, focus group approved oversized phone. Tisk tisk...May as well say please stop developing Numerology and buy Live.

Please do support the monome, Livid, Midifighter, and Midibox64! Infact, Id love to see more direct support for things like the Livid builder and other DIY controller platforms.

The only big brand software I own is Reason. Numerology and Renoise is my favorite combo any day over Ablefags...I will admit I find $200 a little steep compared to Renoise, EnergyXT, and Reaper...But Infact, Im gonna submit a feature request right now that would make it worth every cent!

this joker owns a monome
do you?
maybe you should read my thread
the monome is a very expensive way to do a few things and since it is monochromatic it greatly limits it's so called endless creative options
since n3 has numerous menus and step lanes please describe how a monome will utilize this properly without getting lost
since the ipad isn't good i guess you could buy a lemur for 2k but wait a minute their out of business aren't they

if you think 200 bucks is steep for n3 go research this http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm

ambientidm 10-03-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim (Post 7715)
I'm rewriting the Launchpad mapping to be grid-agnostic, at least as much as possible, so it will not matter whether the grid generates OSC (monome, or a grid in TouchOSC) or MIDI (Launchpad or Livid) -- except that monochromatic grids will be a bit harder to use, and grids other than the launchpad will require some 'extra-grid' controls (MIDI or OSC) to handle navigation.

Also, I have both a Livid Block & a monome 64 for testing -- and friends with larger monomes when I'm ready for them...

Cheers,
Jim

sounds like quite a task
i think if livid does an rgb version of the block along with it's menu buttons you will have winner
i really wish the step lanes of the mono and polynotes had independent lengths
that would a great way to generate evolving sequences in a user defined manner
an 8 step note pattern with a 3 step tie would give a 24 step pattern for example