View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoroder View Post
Not for nothing but are you sure it's the AU timing that's at fault? I've found the AU to be incredibly accurate whereas most latency/jitter is introduced by USB midi interfaces. I've also discovered that the lowest buffer settings provide the most accurate MIDI handling. YMMV.
Thanks for the help. Yes i have been using the lowest buffer setting in Logic 9 (32 samples) and as i only use hardware, get by fine like this.
I've also tested midi jitter and latency within Logic 9 + Unitor8 Mk2 interface. As an example testing my Ensoniq SQ80, i've found it has a reaction time of around 3.1ms to incoming midi data. This is it's midi latency value. So i adjust Logic's track delay parameter by this amount, and I can more or less get the synth to record bang on the grid, with very minimal jitter... worst case is 1.7ms of jitter. By the way I found this to be TIGHTER than the mighty Atari. (where i ran the same tests)
Other hardware synths have different latency times to incoming midi data, and this value increases, due to midi being a serial protocol, as polyphony is added. So each synth will need a different "offset" value in its track settings to compensate.
To conclude, and from my own tests I found Logic 9 + Unitor8 Mk2 (which supports time stamping under OSX) to be very good timing wise.
But when I use Numerology AU to control my already tested tight SQ80, and i record audio, checking it in the sample editor, its all over the place. Late by 500 samples (12ms) so i adjust the AU timing offset, by this amount. Try again, and then it's too early. Adjust and try again... still no luck. Just can not get it to be accurate at all.
That's why i'm looking at syncing Logic to Numerology via IAC bus midi clock, or ReWire etc... whichever of these will provide the tightest timing.