View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 02:35 AM

Default A couple of points about the upgrade

I have chosen the iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz

The best value at present for the most processor power. 10 month old, 27% off new price, Not a BTO model which would have cost be around 30 percent more for a used one.

The Firewire 800 port, the 4 usb 2 ports are compatible with my present peripherals.

I experienced difficulty with waking the iMac up from sleep and after a hour or so research on the net I noticed that one user solved the problem by switching his usb hub from a 7 port to a 5 port model. I was using a 7 port hub so for now I've just switched my Maschine, Launchpad, Blofeld, and midi interface midiport 2 to the four built in usb ports and this solved this non waking up from sleep. The novation nocturn is orphaned in this scheme though so for now so I will use the Waldorf Blofelds midi output patching it into the midi in of the Motu Traveler mk3 then the nocturn will get patched to the iMac. I hate using money on these dongles (usb hub) that then become obsolete with a computer upgrade. NOTE: the Blofeld needs to be used with usb for loading a patches and firmware upgrades.

Computer setup migration was pretty easy. I had cloned my previous system which I had recently upgraded to Lion using SuperDuper! So I just booted from this, Reformatted the internal 1TB on the new iMac, and copied. Probably the easiest migration to a new system I've ever experienced. I know that some recommend starting from a clean install. But I only had the Snow Leopard disk that came with the new imac, also If it works it works, all this system tweaking to get the last 3 or 5% increase in perfomance is just two time consuming to make it worth it.. I'll use my time solving real issues like the usb hub problem or getting the thunderbold SSD to work..

Authentication for all my plugs: Applied Acoustic Systems, used Challenge response, worked without a hitch, NI Maschine, and samples are on my boot disk so copying of the sample library was done, already, the Service Center saw all my plugs and it just worked as advertised. Numerology pro, tried Authenticating Offline, by pasting the serial numbers in the Validation fields, then by typing them in, did'nt seem to work out so I just used the Authenticate online, it just worked automatically, nice.

Valhalla Dsps Room and Shimmer worked without authentication just from the cloned copies.

uhe. com just worked from the cloned copies.

Logic Express, just needed the serial that was on the documentation.

So my Authentication process took hardly anytime and for this I'm grateful.

I had the new system up and running within about three hours of getting the computer in the door.

Some issues with getting my old keyboard and trackpad to pair, with the new imac, so I'm just using the new apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse. I actually like the magic mouse alot. The magic trackpad is good but the magic mouse is more like a combination of trackpad and mouse.. I would actually like to get a Wacom pad at some point, for better accuracy, and for drawing and photo editing.

The bigger screen is great and in my corner table arrangement it doesn't take any more space than the 20" imac I've upgraded from..

The 27" screen is more than sharp enough, and vibrant enough for editing and viewing photos..

The larger workspace will be a boon when working with many plugs open, I can have a healthy sized Numerology window open alongside of the Maschine window.

Processor seems to be handling quite well. I haven't set my kHz rate or bit depth up from the 44.1 and 16 bits that I've been using on the old 20" 2 core duo 2.4. My thinking is why upgrade the computer to then downgrade it by demanding it do more quality wise. I think 24 bit, 192 Khz isn't necessary for the type of synth based work that I'm doing. 10 Voices at 16 bit isn't going to introduce too much noise, also when you consider that I turn voices on and off automatically with my system, if a synth and effects chain isn't recieving signal it does not contribute noise to the mix. Definition of the individual voices is not so important with masses of synthetic instruments. Finally when someone says to me hey that sounds horrible you made that a 16 bit yukk then I'll think about getting on the 192khz 24 bit bandwagon.. If I need to work at those resolutions then working in Logic and freezing tracks would be the only sane way...

24 bit gives more dynamic range, lowers the noise floor

192khz reduces aliasing in sampled instruments. The physical modelling synths don't have this issue. Neither do the Uhe synths. Aliasing is not so apparent in sampled percussion

My ICY Dock to bay harddisk enclosure works, so all my old Sata 3 drives are compatible with the new system. later on I may get a SSD and in a Thunderbolt enclosure to use as the boot drive, then I will use the internal 1TB drive for current project storage, and the the firewire 800 for backups. No need to upgrade the internal disk or add SSD it's costly, difficult to switch out if theirs problems with the SSD. I daisy chain the Motu Traveller Mk3 to the ICY Docks firewire 400 port, so I save money on another dongle there..

The only thing I'll upgrade on the new iMac will be the ram to 16 gb . Though i sense it's going to give a huge improvement in the performance of the system with softsynths.. More ram will help with photoediting and internet use. Big sample instruments as well, but this could also be done using a SSD over thunderbolt.

It's interessting now to have all the plugs programs I need when upgrading the computer. So this upgrade is not one where I need to go out and use a bucketload of money to make the best use of it. It's the other way around this time.. Sure I'll get Zebra, photoshop elements, a external 500 Gb SSD, one or two 1TB hard drives for backup. This all over the next 3 or four months..

It seems wierd now with the upgrade, When I remember that I upgraded to 16 mb ram in my Mac Quadra 800 for 800 dollars in 1993, and now upgrade for 150 to 16 Gb a 100 fold increase! 33 mhz and the system runs on 35 watts, while the iMac 2012 pulls 350 watts full load!

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 08-05-2012 at 03:20 AM.