View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 03:50 PM

As an owner of one, I can say that the Pyramid is a fine sequencer that has many unique features like:

- CV to MIDI conversion
- Euclidean rhythms
- intuitive chord sequencing
- "MIDI delay" a la the Yamahas
- gate probability
- a very nice piano roll view
- MIDI CC automation drawing on an X/Y touchpad
- polyphonic overdub recording
- .mid file import and export
- flexible DIN MIDI/USB MIDI/CV routing options
- MIDI note to MIDI CC conversion (i.e., keytracking CCs)

But also some very frustrating limitations like:

- you basically only have 64 "tracks" (granted, each one can be up to 384 bars long) -- each with zero "patterns" or variations -- that you can sequence per project, and you have to manually switch between projects which disrupts playback. This zero-pattern limitation is expected to change in OS 0.89, and as of this time we're on OS 0.86.
- on power on, it always loads into an INIT project and the sequencer starts playing automatically
- some important functions, especially those involved in the x0x-style step sequencing mode, are only accessible by using 3-finger button/encoder combinations that are ergonomically horrible and strain your hands

I'm frankly having a hard time incorporating it into my setup because it brings some really unique things to the table while having some deal-breaking limitations (i.e., the 64 tracks thing) that prevent me from making it my central sequencer, especially for live performance. I thought it would at least play a valuable role in a studio setting, until I discovered the N4 + Launchpad combination which has blown everything else out of the water. I'm leaning on it mostly for CV to MIDI conversion at this point.

I'd love to be able to dump the consolidated MIDI data from my N4 sessions into a hardware sequencer that I can play live with, but I'd rather chop that up into hundreds of 4-36 bar clips that I can "improvise" with rather than divide that amongst only 64 clips (e.g., 8 songs each using 4 MIDI channels means you have only 2 "clips" per channel per song). I may have to look into something like an MPC for this kind of thing.