View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Administrator

You definitely need to use input and output channels in Numerology that are 2 higher than what are on the interface, as outs 1&2 are the 'main outs', and the first set of individual outs, which are labeled Out 1,2 on the interface come up in Numerology as Out 3,4.

I have both the A-110 and A-111 and can calibrate them w/o issue. Whenever I have a problem with this setup, it is almost always the cables,
either a problem with the cables themselves, or an incorrect connection. Here is a list of things you can do to help narrow down the problem, be sure to resolve any issues with each step before moving forward.

- First, get a cheap volt meter and test your cables for any shorts or missed connections. I just had a cable that I soldered a few weeks ago go bad, so it is always a good idea to double check your cables when anything goes wrong.

- Next unplug pretty much everything on the modular except one cable: One from the sine output of the A-111 to individual input 5 on the MOTU. In order to make these instructions as clear as possible, I will specific I/O and module names. Do not plug any signals from the MOTU to the modular yet, just that one output cable from the oscillator to the MOTU.

- Check the settings on the A-111. The Range should be 0, the Tune knob should be pretty much in the middle.

- In Numerology, verify you have the same MOTU set as the audio interface, then make a new stack, set the input of the stack to be input 7 on the MOTU --- that will correspond to the physical individual input #5. On the routing page for the stack, make a connection from the audio input of the stack to the audio output of the stack. You should then hear the sine tone through your monitors. The frequency of the sine should be within an octave of Middle C. This establishes that you have the correct signal from the modular to Numerology. Make sure the output level from the A-111 is not too 'hot' (i.e. clipping) -- if necessary, route the output of the oscillator through a mixer or VCA module to bring the level down.

- Now connect a cable from individual output #5 of the MOTU to the "CV1" input on the A-111. As soon as you plug it in, the pitch should drop to pretty much nothing (if I remember correctly.). Now add the Silent Way Voice Controller to the stack, and set it's inputs to Inputs 7-8 of the MOTU, and its outputs also to 7,8. Bring up the UI and hit the Calibrate button. It will take a few seconds before you can hear it start to sweep through the pitch range.

- If calibration seems to work, then add a MonoNote to the stack, make sure that its MIDI out is routed to MIDI in on SW VC, program in a few different pitches and gates and start the transport. Since there is no gate signal yet, you'll just hear the pitch change, but that verifies that you're all calibrated.

- Last step, route a cable from output #6 on the MOTU to the input of your Envelope Generator module, connect that to a VCA, route the audio through it, etc.

If you get stuck on any of these steps, stop and double-check everything. Among the silly problems I've encountered other than bad cables are incomplete connections to the MOTU, plugging into the inputs instead of the outputs, etc. You might even check the MOTU Cuemix console to make sure there isn't something odd going on there. If you verify all that and you're still stuck, let me know what step you got to, and what the results are, and I can suggest a few more things to check.

Cheers,
Jim