View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Default Some more thoughts about using the Editor

Whats this Remote Editor idea.

Why.

Well it's to get a few tools for getting at a range of sequencers across several stack.

I experiment and work sometimes with dozens or even fifty sequencers..

Now in this situation you can get the most intense sea of sound going.

But it can also be claustrophobic to have so much going on. It's like the technology takes the control.. Maybe that's fine if things are against all odds going well. But if there's some aspect of the whole sound, how the various sequencers are meshing together or perhaps some of the pitches aren't working out. Rythmically you could just be on the edge of hitting a really really sweet spot.. But to go in and Tweek 50 individual sequences. seems like such an effort that you just let it pass.

This editor the Remote editor. Or the MASS editor is an attempt to break the chains of overburdening of tweeks.

Yes I described it as a editor that can access 8 mono notes with three parametres.

But there is also the possiblity to address 24 sequences with just one editor sequencer if you want to .

Set this up by choosing the mono notes, 1-24 in your 6x4 stacks for example, then setup 9 presets with the parametre changing on a per preset basis for example Preset 1 = Notes (Step Value), preset 2= GateLen Preset 3 = Velocity and so on. And you will have to link you One velocity sequencer and Offset SigProcessor to all twenty four paramods.

The important factor to remember is that the scaling of the Velocity sequencer has to match the Destination parametre. Find the Destinations parameter range by grabbing it's slider or knob and watching the values that are output..If this method fails try using the CV mixer and scope. I've setup the Remote editor so things are set correctly for the destination parameters I've chosen in my three groups A,B and C.

Remember the Sequencer has to be running for the Remote editor to work. But you are not recording RT dont' set the destination sequencers into Record. The output from the editor is focused on a per step basis. This has certain ramifications, the editor sequence has to be at least equal or greater in length than the destination sequencer. If you try and edit a 32 note sequencer with a 16 note editor, the last 16 tones will remain unchanged.. A very interesting ADVANTAGE is that if you want to focus your edits on just three steps of a sequence say 13,14, 15, then just make sure you set your editor to have a start step of 13, and an end step of 15, and all the other steps in you destination sequence will be left unchanged.. This also means that the timing of the editor sequencer does not have to match the destination sequencer. It helps if it is close though. You would not for example want to have an editor set to whole note clock divisions and try and edit a destination sequencer thats running at 1/32 clock division.

Another point, the presets are defaults so to make it easy to start it's probably a good idea to duplicate the 3 presets. Then keep the orginals a initialize functions.

When getting into using the Remote editor on your sequencers it could be a good idea to make "save original state"preset of your sequencers so you can return to your starting point should you want to. The editor basically can erase everthing in your sequencer in one pass if you not careful. That's why I included the mute button boxes.

Two downloads over 2 days, not much interest but I can tell you that there's fire in this beast. Haven't you ever wanted to adjust say gates so you get the same phrasing in a set of 10 sequencers, but leave their notes and velocities alone?

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 10-07-2011 at 12:11 PM.