View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
So if I'm parsing this correctly, you're after:
- 4 parts (combination of MIDI & CV)
- Multiple banks of presets -- essentially unlimited
- Ability to load/play/edit Numerology sequences.

Jim
Ideally more than 4 parts (where a part is a discrete MIDI channel or CV output that can be the destination of a sequence). It seems that hardware sequencers get panned for having fewer than 16 parts these days (e.g., Octatrack).

But otherwise, yeah, that's about right. It seems a Sisyphean effort to try to design a hardware sequencer that's optimized for both (a) composition in "studio mode" where maximum flexibility/modularity and detail micromanagement is welcome, and (b) live performance where both extensive pattern memory and customizable macro-level controls for improvisation are very valuable. As far as I can tell, the Cirklon comes close, but at the cost of a pretty deep menu-driven interface (and an apparently self-limiting production cycle).

N4 paired with a grid controller is looking like the best answer to (a) that I've experienced thus far. I honestly wouldn't want to spend *more time* scrolling around with encoders on a box to edit racks and connect modules so I can build a complex sequence with a 2x6" LCD screen's amount of visual feedback -- the computer just wins here on efficiency.

But there are many reasons (reliability, clock tightness, aesthetics , integrated control surface, etc.) why producers would prefer to leave a computer and thus N4 out of a live performance based around patches they've created in the N4 environment.

My dream Five12 hardware sequencer would prioritize immediate control over:

- preset editing and arrangement (the playlist)
- muting (especially at the module level)
- all non-sequenced parameters of sequencer modules (e.g., scales, speed, direction)
- a limited # of CV Generation modules mapped to encoders and buttons on the box and routed to a limited # of ParamMods that can be edited on the device
- a limited # of CV Processing modules
- perhaps evolve with recovery (to the original sequence, which is even more important in a live setting IMHO) -- jue's patch works here but it would be very handy if this worked out-of-the-box

Icing would be MIDI to CV*, CV* to MIDI, and CV* to "Numerology CV." *CV here meaning DC electrical signals, not floating point data.

As a live-first device, I would give a lower priority (in terms of CPU and control layout) to full control over the creation and editing of MonoNote, DrumSeq, ChordSeq, etc. modules. I'm basically envisioning a preset-level tracker that has a generous modulation matrix and is fully compatible with all the objects of the Numerology environment.

UPDATE: Now that I think of it, what I described sounds like the perfect companion to a grid controller even for the studio setting. Launchpad on step sequencing duty; this encoder-rich box on the duties of CV generation, CV processing, CV routing, and arrangement editing. With both working together over USB, there would be virtually no need to touch a mouse or look at the computer screen. But now I'm getting way ahead of my already idiosyncratic fantasy

Last edited by autopoiesis; 08-04-2016 at 03:18 PM.