Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 AM

Just bought a Launchpad and Live 8! Can't wait to see what you do with it and Numerology.

I have this vision in my head of using the Launchpad to create sequences in Numerology, then loading those sequences into the Numerology Audio Units inside Live, and triggering them as clips from the Launchpad.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:07 PM

The Launchpad is very cool, but I would think OSC would be the control method to get the fast track. TouchOSC on current devices is sweet. It has already been ported to Android (just needs testing), and if the Apple tablet comes out soon running the touch os, then it could be set to run touch osc almost immediately.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaishya View Post
Just bought a Launchpad and Live 8! Can't wait to see what you do with it and Numerology.
I worked out nearly-complete mappings (documented, not coded) for the DrumSeq, MonoNote, Preset triggering, the Mixer and Navigation last night. Extending those for the PolyNote, ChordSeq, etc. should be easy. You'll be able to do a lot -- However, this first-pass will be limited to 16 step sequences, as that makes the mapping much more usable than one that can accommodate 128 step sequences. When setting up demos, I found that using "EndStep" modulation and random jump to be very good ways to let the sequences breathe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaishya View Post
I have this vision in my head of using the Launchpad to create sequences in Numerology, then loading those sequences into the Numerology Audio Units inside Live, and triggering them as clips from the Launchpad.
I think you should be able to do that, but you will not be able to use the same Launchpad with Numerology and Live at the same time, as when Live gets access, it takes it over completely.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
The Launchpad is very cool, but I would think OSC would be the control method to get the fast track. TouchOSC on current devices is sweet. It has already been ported to Android (just needs testing), and if the Apple tablet comes out soon running the touch os, then it could be set to run touch osc almost immediately.
Both will be relevant. Even with a tablet running nice grid-based controller app, having physical buttons is still very nice, and it is hard to beat the price on the Launchpad. I expect we will start to see lots of multi-controller setups, with various combinations of touchscreens, grids and knob&fader setups, each tweaked to do what they do best. That is certainly what I'm planning for N3...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 PM

True, I have both so it's win/win for me!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 AM

Default Launch Pad sounds good!

Having been out of the Loop as to computer systems for music for the last 7-8 years I'm quiet delighted at the developments that have occured in the meantime, especially the hands on controller front interesting things are happening, also I've not invested much in any specific platform as yet so it's nice to know that when I'm ready to jump in you've already done the leg work of getting an affordable controller to work with your software...

Excitng news indeed...

Regards

Wade
Old 01-20-2010, 10:10 PM

I personally would like to see a very HIGH QUALITY dedicated controller for Numerology. Something like a 4 row of 16 push-rotary encoders + 16 buttons for step sequence. Above each row would have screens "novation remote" style for direct feedback. Now, this device would have to be really well integrated with N3Pro so that any module we choose, it would automatically be assigned, kinda like Automap. Each stepturn of the encoder would turn up or down 1 step according with the range (i.e. -12, +12). There is so much that could be done with a configuration like this. maybe CV out to modulars.

In the end it would be the hardware extension of Numerology.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniSpeck View Post
I personally would like to see a very HIGH QUALITY dedicated controller for Numerology. Something like a 4 row of 16 push-rotary encoders + 16 buttons for step sequence. Above each row would have screens "novation remote" style for direct feedback. Now, this device would have to be really well integrated with N3Pro so that any module we choose, it would automatically be assigned, kinda like Automap. Each stepturn of the encoder would turn up or down 1 step according with the range (i.e. -12, +12). There is so much that could be done with a configuration like this. maybe CV out to modulars.

In the end it would be the hardware extension of Numerology.

may be MidiBox can be a starting point ?
Its a really flexibile Hardawre platform and is open source.
DSI Mopho,Electribe Er-1 - Korg M3R - Korg wavestation A/D - Roland R8 Mk II - Korg A2 -Korg DSS1 - Korg Padkontrol - BCR 2000 - Novation Nocturne - some A100 modules- Numerology - Ableton live 6- Reaktor

http://www.quartzvisuals.com
http://dennisippolito.it

Last edited by amsonx; 01-21-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Thats really interesting! I am looking into it

Still, Numerology is the king for me.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Administrator

My initial focus will be on working out usable, interesting mappings for reasonably priced, flexible controllers. In the end, though, there will be enough options via both MIDI and OSC that you will probably be able to "roll your own" using various hardware options available, such as ardunio-based systems. And, of course, you'll be able to mix-n-match controllers, using each for what it does best.

Cheers,
Jim