Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 AM

Default Additional OSC features

Hi Jim,

A couple of suggestions for additional OSC features:

1. Allow the user to choose which OSC message to learn when a simultaneous messages are received

Scenario: I am using TouchOSC to try to create a surface that works like a Buchla keyboard.i.e. where each key can generate note on/off messages, but also continuous controller messages depending on the location of the finger on each key.

I am trying to emulate this using TouchOSC by activating its "Send z messages option". With this switched on, using a fader will send an touch on/off message and a fader "position" message.

I would like to learn the touch on/off message to a button in Numerology, and the position message to a fader, but at the moment, I cannot tell each control which message to learn.

My request is for some type of UI feature (e.g. a popup) to allow selection of the correct message.

2. Support for multi-parameter messages

The readme for N3 says that it doesn't support these (e.g. the messages generated by TouchOSC's XY controls. Is this a "never" or just a "not yet"?

Thanks,

Stephen
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM

Seconded.

Fwiw, I'm currently using OSCulator as a workaround for this problem; sending from TouchOSC to OSCulator, then forwarding to Numerology (using different UDP/IP ports for listening to incoming OSC events OSCulator and Numerology, of course); Numerology sends ('reflects') parameter values directly to TouchOSC. This enables me to use the accelerometer (one of my favorite types of controllers ever since akaRemote hit the iphone jailbreak community a few years ago), by selectively allowing only one parameter to pass thru when using 'OSC Learn' in Numerology.

I'll also upload a little stack that I made earlier to calibrate the accelerometer's X/Y/Z values sent by TouchOSC (or other similar apps) into a more usable range a bit later when I get to my desktop.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:17 PM

I've also been using OSCulator as a workaround.

Very interested to see what you have done with the accelerometer.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaishya View Post
1. Allow the user to choose which OSC message to learn when a simultaneous messages are received

Scenario: I am using TouchOSC to try to create a surface that works like a Buchla keyboard.i.e. where each key can generate note on/off messages, but also continuous controller messages depending on the location of the finger on each key.

I am trying to emulate this using TouchOSC by activating its "Send z messages option". With this switched on, using a fader will send an touch on/off message and a fader "position" message.

I would like to learn the touch on/off message to a button in Numerology, and the position message to a fader, but at the moment, I cannot tell each control which message to learn.

My request is for some type of UI feature (e.g. a popup) to allow selection of the correct message.
I plan to add a "Parameter Detail" dialog that would allow you to tweak MIDI and OSC remote control parameters, so that would cover the case of an OSC device sending multiple messages at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaishya View Post
2. Support for multi-parameter messages

The readme for N3 says that it doesn't support these (e.g. the messages generated by TouchOSC's XY controls. Is this a "never" or just a "not yet"?
Not yet. I haven't made a final decision yet, but most likely this would be supported via an OSC Input module -- You'd enter the address string to watch for, and the module would output CV's for the first few numeric arguments.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks Jim
Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 PM

Scaling of OSC/Midi messages, similar to how they can be set up in Live would be very nice!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Yes, having a way to sort OSC messages is key. I'm using a Lemur and am having difficulty mapping a lot of messages, as every Lemur object also sends out a "z" message 1.0 when being touched and 0.0 when not being touched. Sometimes the faders will catch the correct x message, but a lot of the time, they'll simply go full to zero.

Also, a way to save OSC mappings as a preset on modules would be great. It'd be nice to connect my controller, load the preset, and not have to re-map every time.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Administrator

A "param detail" dialog is on my list, it would allow you to manually tweak both the OSC and MIDI mappings, so that would fix the 'z' message issue (as well as for XY controls).

As for saving/loading mappings, when you import a stack, will come with any learned MIDI/OSC mappings intact, so I would recommend leveraging that option.

Cheers,
Jim