Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 10-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Default Midi notes to select notes

One of the cool features of the Emu Command Station sequencers is the way you pick a note value to assign to a step or steps -- you simply play the corresponding note on the pads. Then any steps you enable afterwards will be assigned that note value. It would be nice if Numerology could select notes this way (or some similar way), even more so if the polyphonic modules also did this with chords. Perhaps the "mute" buttons at the bottom of a step column could be used for step selection -- i.e. you hit a note or chord then press the "mute" buttons for the steps that you want to assign to that pitch or chord. Another neat trick on the Command Station is velocity is determined by how hard you hit the pad. Perhaps gate length could be assigned in a similar manner (i.e., surmised from the space between note on and note off messages)?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator

How about if, when recording (step-wise, or realtime), this were the case for selected steps: when you record into a selected step, all other steps that are selected are set to the same note or chord?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Let me see if I understand what you're saying -- you "select" some steps (perhaps using the mute button or something else) and then play a note or chord after hitting "record" and the note/s you play are assigned to all the selected steps. I like that, assuming you could keep things moving by selecting and playing while the loop repeats so you don't have to stop the sequencer in order to record a new note or chords.

I suppose someone might think you might as well play the part at that point, but for me I like the compositional interaction of this way of working.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM

...Adding, the Europa is another example of this layout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf-RfkQgihY
Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
Let me see if I understand what you're saying -- you "select" some steps (perhaps using the mute button or something else) and then play a note or chord after hitting "record" and the note/s you play are assigned to all the selected steps.
Correct -- there's actually a row of buttons just for selecting steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
I like that, assuming you could keep things moving by selecting and playing while the loop repeats so you don't have to stop the sequencer in order to record a new note or chords.
Yes -- it could work either in step record mode or while recording realtime.

Cheers,
Jim