Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 10-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
Well, someone has to upgrade! Take one for the team so to speak.
And appreciated, you'll find out soon...

In general, I do recommend waiting a few weeks before a big OS upgrade, though I saw no issues between 10.7 and 10.8. The big draw for 10.9 for laptop users is significant battery life improvements.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-26-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
not sure why people are updating already?????

there is zero reason to update and no benefit for audio people and so far lot's of complaints from many users who've updated.
Have you read the exhaustive Ars Technica review of Mavericks? Or the user response to it?

There are some reasons right there. Certainly if you are in the middle of urgent projects, have gigs coming up, there is no point. Were it a paid upgrade I would definately have waited but reading the review, thinking about the possible benefits... led me to try it on one of my computers.

Some stuff isn't working... but most stuff is and is substantially better. I'm getting easily 20% more CPU to play with in Ableton and Logic Pro on my Mac Mini plus the UI isn't laggy like it used to be and I can actually scroll folders and browser windows rather than jerk them.

The "take one for the team" metaphor is really kinda offensive but that aside... i'm happy enough that I've upgraded all my Macs to it now.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makrotulpa View Post
Have you read the exhaustive Ars Technica review of Mavericks? Or the user response to it?

There are some reasons right there. Certainly if you are in the middle of urgent projects, have gigs coming up, there is no point. Were it a paid upgrade I would definately have waited but reading the review, thinking about the possible benefits... led me to try it on one of my computers.

Some stuff isn't working... but most stuff is and is substantially better. I'm getting easily 20% more CPU to play with in Ableton and Logic Pro on my Mac Mini plus the UI isn't laggy like it used to be and I can actually scroll folders and browser windows rather than jerk them.

The "take one for the team" metaphor is really kinda offensive but that aside... i'm happy enough that I've upgraded all my Macs to it now.
i didn't see a lot there to get me excited... lot's of stuff i don't need or use and only anxiety over changes for developers and how that'll effect my audio things.

i don't doubt your claims as to improvement in CPU performance in logic/live but i've read more "it's the same as before" than "it's way faster"

i'm content to wait until i have to update... which will be when i buy a new mac mini, or more likely build a hackinstosh, in like 3 years
Old 10-27-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
not sure why people are updating already?????
there is zero reason to update and no benefit for audio people and so far lot's of complaints from many users who've updated.
I strongly disagree. I updated my work MBP which has a lot less software to verify and let me say the multidisplay support overhaul is INCREDIBLE. You now get a title bar on every display and you can operate on an external display with the laptop display closed. I use a dualhead2go digital at work and I'm encountering no problems disconnecting on the fly and moving to another desk. Airplay to a TV is equally good.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:28 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbutter View Post
I strongly disagree. I updated my work MBP which has a lot less software to verify and let me say the multidisplay support overhaul is INCREDIBLE. You now get a title bar on every display and you can operate on an external display with the laptop display closed. I use a dualhead2go digital at work and I'm encountering no problems disconnecting on the fly and moving to another desk. Airplay to a TV is equally good.

for audio work though.. i mean... ya know.. that's all i'm talking about.. there isn't anything that screams at me "update now you're missing out"

couldn't care less about airplay to a TV when i'm working in audiomulch or numerology or logic or live etc..

and of course.. YMMV
Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 PM

I had some issues initially after upgrading with instability, especially with audio, but a PRAM reset seems to have cured it.

Still, missing Numerology with Logic X...
Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM

Hey, just discovered that you can view the user Library again. With your home folder selected, hit CMD+J and there's a check box to view the Library folder.

Three finger dragging in 10.7 really improved my software experience. And 10.7 broke enough that going to 10.9 didn't really worry me!

The finder tabs and lazy metadata ("tags") in 10.9 plus the ease of transfer/remote controlling multiple computers is very helpful ("back to my mac"). I like that safari blocks/stops plugins - it saves on the CPU if I'm going to look up a manual or look for an answer to a question while using a program. So no, no direct music/audio improvements, but the annoying, often distracting stuff is less, for me at least.

I wonder if virtualization of 10.6.8 works...It'd be kind of cool to run on a separate desktop...
Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 AM

info for anyone worried about older OS X versions disappearing.. apple has come of them still available but you have to search the apple store and then they will send you a link/code to download via the app store.. so if you need reconfigure another machine or older machine or whatever... you can still get 10.6.8 or mtn lion etc...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6...-mountain-lion

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...6-snow-leopard

and some times an actual DVD is available

not sure how to 'down date" from a newer OS to an older one w/o doing a fresh install and of course not all intel macs work w/all OS X versions.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Very handy... I've got mavericks running on a Parallels VM on my MBP 15". Interestingly enough, it builds the initial VM from the 10.7 backup partition that came with the laptop -- one then has to upgrade to 10.9 from there.

Quote:
not sure how to 'down date" from a newer OS to an older one w/o doing a fresh install and of course not all intel macs work w/all OS X versions.
Pretty much. I found out a couple days ago that a critical printer driver I need from epson (stylus pro 3880) is not available yet, so I'm going to wait before I update the main machine. However, being able to run other Mac OS installs via parallels is much handier than I thought it would be...

Jim
Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM

in mavericks you will be able to run Numerology 4 as a MIDI plugin in Logic Pro X, so there's that. As long as Jim declares the AU as a MIDI processor, which is a new type for 10.9 . no need for rewire!

Tags
10.9, mac osx, maverics