Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Default Survey : OSC

In order to continue to improve OSC support, it would help if I could get a rough survey of how many of you are using OSC, and what you are using. I assume the most likely case is TouchOSC on an iPhone or iPod Touch, as that is what I hear about the most, but I need that confirmed before moving forward with some new ideas.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 AM

+1.

I've been using Mrmr.app as well (on the iP*), btw. It has the advantages of being free and open source, and happened to be available way before TouchOSC (iirc only Akaremote was available earlier). But I'd gladly agree on trying to maintain somewhat of a common focus to primarily/exclusively support TouchOSC.

In the past, I have mainly used Pure data to 'listen' to incoming OSC, process it, and send MIDI out (for apps that do not support OSC). I will probably be experimenting with some setups that send OSC from Pure data instead of MIDI (for the sort of stuff better done in Pd than in N3, whatever that may be...).

Also, I will probably be experimenting with setups that conversely send out OSC from N3 (to Pd, Reaktor, Max etc.) where I'd otherwise have used MIDI.

Besides using OSC for remote controllers, one of the main reasons why I am interested in OSC is to overcome the inherent resolution limits of MIDI (i.e. 7 bit CC#, 14 bit pitch bend, (N)RPN etc.).
Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Touch Osc iPad and iPod here! (Mostly iPad)
Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 PM

BTW - I think that Touch OSC is a perfect companion. A good mix of very available and not too expensive hardware (compared to a Lemur, Octopus, Monome 128), with very easy to use, cross-platform configuration software.
Once everything is set up, you only need you portable device w/Touch OSC and N3 on a computer. No cables, no intermediary software to worry about!
Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM

not using any but interested in an ipad version, this of course depends on other music apps coming out on the ipad too - in other wordss to justify buying an ipad, cheers
Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM

Touch OSC + iElectribe + iSequence are all great reasons to have an iPad!

Even apps that have not been adapted to the iPad (Rebirth, iSyn, Jasuto, etc..) are often MUCH easier to control than than on the iPod/iPhone.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM

BTW Jim, I think one of the first hurdles to tackle with a lot of controllers using Numerology is getting sequencer position feedback. I got it work on my BCR with a severely non elegant solution of sending envelopes with a few sequencers that were tied to the speed of the current track, but... ya know it's kinda buggy and very cludgy to set up...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
BTW Jim, I think one of the first hurdles to tackle with a lot of controllers using Numerology is getting sequencer position feedback. I got it work on my BCR with a severely non elegant solution of sending envelopes with a few sequencers that were tied to the speed of the current track, but... ya know it's kinda buggy and very cludgy to set up...
We may be going a bit OT here but anyway... I agree this could be easier. I have as well been toying around a bit with some sequencer position feedback thingy. While I won't claim my setup isn't buggy or cludgy, I'd be happy to share it with you, maybe it's of any use. I managed to make a 'running LED' stack using the step number output of (e.g.) an IntervalSeq to modulate the on/off state of the buttons on a ButtonBox, which in turn send out MIDI CC# that make a row of buttons with LEDs light up on the BCR (or other suitable controller, of course). The step number modulates the button number using a ParamMod, while I use a LFO (square wave) to create a pulse that modulates the on|off state for it. The tempos need to be manually adjusted to sync, but this also means you can play with the phase and pulse width of the LFO to get some different blinking patterns.

I have also been playing with a S&H module, with different buttons connected (via ParamMod modules) to each of its outputs. That way you can send one pulse that will 'run' across the buttons too, and while losing some flexibility (it will not work for backward or random step order), it makes it easy to have multiple pulses running across simultaneously, which can also be fun.

Maybe we should discuss a bit (on a separate thread) what it is we really want (I'm not quite sure yet) and then put up a FR for it?

For example, I am still wondering whether it would suffice to have the Note Sequencers output their current step as a CV signal (like the CV sequencers currently do), i.e. can we manage it sufficiently simple from there on (I haven't played with it enough to try to really establish this...)? Or do we also need some dedicated module that converts the current step to some (set of) outgoing signal(s)?

I think we probably should limit ourselves to sending out MIDI CC# (or OSC) on *adjacent* CC numbers or OSC addresses (i.e. when you tell Numerology to send MIDI CC# 101 out for step 1, it would make step 2 output a signal on MIDI CC# 102, etc.).
Old 07-17-2010, 06:18 AM

The two bits of OSC-aware software I currently use are Bidule and Processing. There are no guarantees I'll ever get around to needing or using OSC in Numerology with these other apps, but I'd like to know that the option exists.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Touch OSC + iElectribe + iSequence are all great reasons to have an iPad!

Even apps that have not been adapted to the iPad (Rebirth, iSyn, Jasuto, etc..) are often MUCH easier to control than than on the iPod/iPhone.
Indeed! And, don't forget to mention the incredible technoBox (and listen how much we have progressed since the original Rebirth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurk View Post
The two bits of OSC-aware software I currently use are Bidule and Processing. There are no guarantees I'll ever get around to needing or using OSC in Numerology with these other apps, but I'd like to know that the option exists.
Oh, forgot about mentioning that one too. I'm very interested in Numerology > Bidule connectivity too. Especially for using VST plugins in Bidule, and modulating their parameters from Numerology via OSC (avoiding the compromises on value resolution inherent in MIDI).