Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 11-11-2015, 01:14 AM

I just received my Push 2 today and am very impressed with its overall quality. It's well worth the upgrade. As reported, the pad functionality seems to be working fine with Numerology. Only thing that's missing is text. Hopefully, this can be resolved without too much trouble.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe97 View Post
I just received my Push 2 today and am very impressed with its overall quality. It's well worth the upgrade.
Id everything about it (pads, buttons, encoders and of course display) , is just that little bit better than the Push 1... which overall makes it feel alot better than the push 1.

Quote:
As reported, the pad functionality seems to be working fine with Numerology. Only thing that's missing is text. Hopefully, this can be resolved without too much trouble.
Just to set expectations... adding the text is a 'big challenge' at the moment, as no-one yet knows how to drive the display, and Ableton have not, and are unlikely to (historically they have not) , give any details on how this could be done... so it will have to be reverse engineered, and this is a time consuming process which some 'volunteer' is going to have to undertake.
so reasonably it may be months (or longer!) before a solution is found and then that would have to be integrated into apps like N4.

This is not specific to Numerology, every 3rd party app (PXT series/Liquid Rhythm) is facing the same problem.
( and as yet, not one of them has said they have time/resources to look into it)

not trying to be negative, just pointing out its not really Jims issue, and don't expect a quick/easy fix its unlikely in the short term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Actually not that bad overall...

Jim
Id agree, fortunately N4 does not really use the LCD as much as some other apps, so I think its possibly still useable.
(I've not checked all bits of N4, perhaps some bits of the Push controller may need tweaking to use without display... i.e. treat it like a launchpad)

Last edited by TheTechnobear; 11-11-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 PM

Although I've been able to establish bidirectional communication between N4 standalone and Push 2 (pads only), whether Live is running or not, I haven't been able to get N4 VST to communicate with Push 2 in User mode inside of Live. Have you had any success with Push 2 and N4 VST inside of Live?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Although I've been able to establish bidirectional communication between N4 standalone and Push 2 (pads only), whether Live is running or not, I haven't been able to get N4 VST to communicate with Push 2 in User mode inside of Live. Have you had any success with Push 2 and N4 VST inside of Live?
Works fine for me... you have to set the N4 controller setup to use the "User Port"
(standalone = live port , VST = user port)

tested on Live 9.5 (64bit) , Mac OS X 10.10.5 , N4 VST & AU (4.1 b154)
Old 11-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Funny, that's exactly what I did, but the User button on Push 2 wouldn't switch over to Numerology view. How do you have Live's midi settings set up for Push 2?
Old 11-13-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Funny, that's exactly what I did, but the User button on Push 2 wouldn't switch over to Numerology view. How do you have Live's midi settings set up for Push 2?
just set up for normal Push2 use...
make sure you dont have any other script using the user port.

ok, looks like we are getting somewhere on driving the display directly

I did a USB trace on the LCD display, and its a very simple protocol...
as far as I can tell, you send the raw graphics data to the Interface 0 ( Push Display) use output endpoint 1.
each display packet is made up of
- a 16 byte message over the bulk interface , containing : ef cd ab 89 00 00 00 00
- then graphics data as 20 x 16384 byte messages.

I need to just verify the dimensions of the display, so I can work out the raw data, but thats not too hard... send it some data and see what it draws
basically all I need is row/column dimensions and color depth, the later is already looking like its 8 bit, or possibly 16 bit.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:32 PM

Now it seems to be working (with N4 4.1 v.160). Don't know why it wasn't working the last time I tried it. I haven't changed any of the settings.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:08 AM

quick update...

Ive now got the Push2 display working, Ive posted the details and also sample code over at KVR
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...f=102&t=450494
Old 11-22-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Now it seems to be working (with N4 4.1 v.160). Don't know why it wasn't working the last time I tried it. I haven't changed any of the settings.
Doh - been sitting here wondering why I got nothing on my Push2. Suddenly realised that my Push 2 computer was still running Numerology 4.0
Old 12-02-2015, 07:28 AM

I tested PushQML last night with N4, it emulates a Push 1 on a Push 2,
and seemed to work fine with N4