Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 08-22-2014, 04:14 PM

Default Creating a click track on a monitor for live use

I am planning a live gig and my percussionist is very interested in a monitor feed with just the basic rhythm. I have pondered this a bit and come up with a few solutions that I would like to discuss with you because I realise that I have no idea how to make them happen and would very much appreciate some help.

The setup is a MacBook with a Roland OCTAcapture sound card.

Plan 1: create a special stack with just the click track and send the output to the internal sound card and take that from the headphones output to the monitor.

Plan 2: get another sound card and do the same as Plan 1.

Plan 3: try to route the sound from the stack to another output on the sound card.

Plan 4: hook up a dedicated synth and feed MIDI to that one with the click track.

-x-

Plan 1: I have no idea if or how this can be done. Can I do that? Can I have multiple sound cards in a Numerology project?

Plan 2: same as 1

Plan 3: There are eight outputs on the OCTAcapture; two for the main mix which are the ones I use. The other six I have no idea how to access from Numerology, I am sad to say.

Plan 4: I have two synths hooked up on the USB MIDI chain already. The clock stack only features two MIDI outputs so I have no idea how I could send stuff to a third.

-+-

Has anyone come across this problem? How did you solve it? I realise that all my questions are probably beginner's questions, but I am a newbie so there you have it...

Cheers,

K
Old 08-22-2014, 04:26 PM

I might have solved it.

It turns out that there is a control panel for the sound card and there are four different mixes I can use - one for each pair of outputs.

So, in theory, I should be able to send most stuff from the Mixer to the Main Mix (Out 1-2) and the click track to the Alt Mix (Out 3-4). Then, in the control panel for OCTAcapture, I set that mixer to send Out 1-2 to Outputs 1-2 and mute the click track and then do the same (in reverse) on the second mixer with outputs 3 and 4.

Now I only have to verify this. I'll be back...

Last edited by koenig; 08-30-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-22-2014, 05:59 PM

If you have access to two or more soundcards or audio interfaces
on a Mac you can create an Aggregate Device which then allows
you to use the inputs and outputs of any or all attached soundcards.
Setup is in Audio Midi Setup under Utilities in your Applications folder.
Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by rexlapin; 08-22-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlapin View Post
If you have access to two or more soundcards or audio interfaces
on a Mac you can create an Aggregate Device which then allows
you to use the inputs and outputs of any or all attached soundcards.
Setup is in Audio Midi Setup under Utilities in your Applications folder.
Cheers,
Scott
This can work, but the Aggregate Device code is very sensitive to clocking and any CPU overloads, so I tend to avoid it. I'd recommend first trying to enable and extra audio output on the Roland sound card. Be sure to check the Patchbay Setup dialog in Numerology to see if the extra outputs are enabled there.

You could also just use an external synth, but instead of sending clock, just send a MIDI pattern for an audible 'click track' that the drummer is comfortable with.

Cheers,
Jim