Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 07-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Any news on a possible release date for the AU please Jim?
Really really looking forward to this coming out and to use it in Logic
Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logos Lover View Post
Any news on a possible release date for the AU please Jim?
Really really looking forward to this coming out and to use it in Logic
Not yet, but I'll be on it full-time as soon as the 3.0 Pro preview release is out, which will be very soon -- just a few fixes and tweaks left.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 AM

If using two instances of the AU in a DAW, with each instance for a different track, can one be running at the DAW's tempo, with the other running in "double time" ? (ie x2 DAW's tempo)
EDIT: I guess you must be able to do this by using the Ratio setting.

Last edited by Logos Lover; 07-26-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If using two instances of the AU in a DAW, with each instance for a different track, can one be running at the DAW's tempo, with the other running in "double time" ? (ie x2 DAW's tempo)
EDIT: I guess you must be able to do this by using the Ratio setting.
Any of the sequencer speed settings allow you to do this -- how quickly the steps are played is totally changeable at any time.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Any of the sequencer speed settings allow you to do this -- how quickly the steps are played is totally changeable at any time.

Cheers,
Jim
I feel giddy...
Old 08-26-2010, 08:25 PM

Some more questions for you Jim...
In Numerology to input note data from a connected midi keyboard you set the MIDI Input for the stack, click the little "E" button on the MonoNote's transport. Then in the dialog that opens, set the Rec Mode to "Step". As the sequence runs and notes are played a little cursor moves across the sequence, recording each note as its played.
Will the AU allow to enter notes in the same way from a connected midi keyboard?

And will the AU be able to control a) connected midi hardware synths?
and b) synths connected and being controlled using Silent Way?
(just wondering about AU's limitation in not allowing to send MIDI data..... unless i have that wrong?)
Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Some more questions for you Jim...
In Numerology to input note data from a connected midi keyboard you set the MIDI Input for the stack, click the little "E" button on the MonoNote's transport. Then in the dialog that opens, set the Rec Mode to "Step". As the sequence runs and notes are played a little cursor moves across the sequence, recording each note as its played.
Will the AU allow to enter notes in the same way from a connected midi keyboard?
Probably, but that is not implemented just yet...

Quote:
And will the AU be able to control a) connected midi hardware synths?
and b) synths connected and being controlled using Silent Way?
(just wondering about AU's limitation in not allowing to send MIDI data..... unless i have that wrong?)
Yes, though the various forms of sequencing plugins will not themselves support hosting of AU's, so you'd have to host SilentWay in the DAW itself -- or use Numerology in ReWire mode --what irony... .

Anyway, here are the full details on AU's and MIDI generation:

The AU spec includes an API for AUs to generate MIDI, but no hosts that I know of yet support it. Perhaps it has slipped into Logic w/o anyone noticing, so I plan to re-test. This is the most ideal situation, as it would provide latency and jitter-free MIDI communication from one AU to other plugins and/or the host itself.

Regardless of all that, any program (plugin or otherwise) on OS X can create (or connect to) a MIDI port and generate MIDI directly. Unfortunately, in the AU case there are a couple annoying problems: namely latency and jitter.

Latency (a short delay) happens anytime you send MIDI from one program to another. There are various ways to compensate, but in the case of the NumerologyAU, it looks like some form of clock offset will be the most convenient solution.

Jitter, a semi-random timing variation in transmitted messages, happens anytime you try to generate MIDI in a modern multi-tasking OS without using special 64-bit timestamps. In most cases, these timestamps come from an audio hardware device and are used to ensure accurate MIDI timing, whether going out to a hardware MIDI port or another application. Unfortunately, once again, even thought the AU spec provides a way for hosts to transmit this information to AUs, hosts don't seem to provide this information. I have implemented a rather novel (and somewhat tricky) solution to this problem for the Numerology AU, so hopefully both jitter and latency will be non-issues.

What will probably not work is track freezing, since that happens at super-realtime rates, and there's no way for inter-app MIDI communication to work in that case.

Also, while I'm on the subject, I am well aware that VST (and VST hosts) support MIDI generation by plugins, so I'll definitely be looking into that more closely.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
The AU spec includes an API for AUs to generate MIDI, but no hosts that I know of yet support it.
Chicken and egg. Hosts don't want to implement this because no plugins use this capability yet, but no plugin developers want to implement this due to lack of host support. That said, I believe Bidule does support AUs generating MIDI. I know your time is limited, Jim, and building a feature supported only by a niche host is not an efficient use of your time. But I think this is really an opportunity stand out (even more). Only once this feature is adopted by niche players will the mainstream (possibly, hopefully) sit up and take notice.

Quote:
Jitter, a semi-random timing variation in transmitted messages, happens anytime you try to generate MIDI in a modern multi-tasking OS without using special 64-bit timestamps. In most cases, these timestamps come from an audio hardware device and are used to ensure accurate MIDI timing, whether going out to a hardware MIDI port or another application. Unfortunately, once again, even thought the AU spec provides a way for hosts to transmit this information to AUs, hosts don't seem to provide this information.
However, I don't know if Bidule supports that at all. Oh well.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I generally agree, it is a bit of chicken and egg thing, but then, since Apple is the source of the AU spec, and Logic is from Apple, I would expect better compliance -- regardless of them being separate teams. Anyway, it is a known bug. When I reported it (bugreporter.apple.com), it was marked as a duplicate of bug #5650414, but of course, there is no way for me to see the status of bug 5650414....

If any host supports MIDI out from AUs, I would expect it to be Bidule, and I'll check it pretty soon. As for timing, if the host supports direct MIDI out from the AU, then timing is a non issue-- the way the events are reported handles that automatically.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM

i'm hopeful that the numerology AU will work in audiomulch sending midi out to other plugs inside audiomulch.