Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Music > Your Music

Old 05-12-2011, 04:38 AM

Default Twilight Movements

More sound mania produced using Numerology no other sequencers and no animals were harmed either !! The piece after much deliberation is called "Twilight Movements.."

http://www.box.net/shared/y8xp5j2l50 Copyright Wade Mattson 2011.

I've been doing a great deal of fine tuning of my Numerology Setup..

I've ended up with the following arrangement that seems to work fine with my mid 2007 imac 2.4 ghz 4 gb ram

15 mono note sequencers

1 matrix sequencer

4 DrumSeq's

I've setup my note generatings stacks so that they contain 4 sequencers each, So that is to say 5 note generating stacks..

I've moved my AU instrument modules over into 2 dedicated stacks. I've got 16 AU's each linked up to their own dedicated submixer channel that works out to two 4ch mixers in each stack for a total of 4X4 mixer channels.. The DrumSeq stack contains it's own dedicated AU instrument, trigger gate sequencers and main mute gates--

Note, the 16 AU instrument modules are not all on at once!! This would be two much for the CPU, but I manage about 6-8 well trimed synths..

I have linked all these 20 sequencers to my control stacks;

Sequencer Time

Harmony

Trigger Gate

Velocity control

Volume control

And one single master effect stack

And finally the scene control stack that can get all the stacks to change settings via the presets controlled by sending program changes through the midi remote bus.. I'm still working on optimizing this setup, having the sound plugin on there own stacks should help with this issue..

I've run out of CV's for sending velocity control to the 16 mono note sequencers so I've resorted to hooking a dedicated velocity sequencer to each of the MonoNotes in my first two sequencers stacks containing the midi external module feeds.. That being the Blofeld on channels 1-4 and the the Wavestation on channels 5-8

This works out quite well and I still get a nice overview of the velocities being sent to my internal synths on channels 9-16,also I'm finding working with volume CC 7 and velocity values sent out to my Wavestation and the Blofeld to be somewhat tricky so it actually is an advantage to have my velocity sequencers right there with the mononote that send out to the external gear..

Maybe some are wondering why I use Velocity Sequencers instead of the MonoNotes own dedicated per step velocity value.. Well it's exactly that per step velocity means that I'm tied to accents within the framework of the phrase of the mononote that may or not give a coherent result seen from the whole perspective.. My MonoNotes are in CV-Gate play mode with sequencer reset turned off. This makes for a continious flow which is nice but the velocities sometimes don't work out.. Seperating out velocites and letting them run continuously solves this problem beautifully

The music is still just rough playing out of ideas while I get this all to work smoothly, I feel anyway it's only reasonable that I back up all of my raving on the forum here with a little Twilight Movements.. Beware there's a wide dynamic range..

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 05-12-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Numerologist

This is lovely - the sound is as sophisticated as the setup but it has a really strong vibe all the way through. What I'm trying to say is the technology isn't getting in the way and the music is coming through loud and clear.

Anyway... very nice and very inspirational - thank you
Old 05-17-2011, 08:33 AM

It's fascinating music-- and creates a truly unique space. Nice work. Thank you for sharing it. I look forward to more.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Soldiers View Post
This is lovely - the sound is as sophisticated as the setup but it has a really strong vibe all the way through. What I'm trying to say is the technology isn't getting in the way and the music is coming through loud and clear.

Anyway... very nice and very inspirational - thank you

Thanks so much!!

I'm working on getting all the pieces of the TwoToneshuzz Numerology setup to work together often I reach the limits of the CPU and lose work, so I've learned to save a project as soon as I make changes, and that under a new version name..

So what I'm trying to say is the technical efforts can some times obscure and impede the creative progress and hide the goals, but suddenly and often enough a door opens into new worlds of sound , and I can't help but feel elated.

Thanks again for the compliment!

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 05-18-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbsonic View Post
It's fascinating music-- and creates a truly unique space. Nice work. Thank you for sharing it. I look forward to more.
Thanks for the welcome comments, it feels nice to know someone is on the recieving end and cares enough to let one know their thoughts!!

As to more it's coming I work intensively with Numerology exclusively as I feel I get more milage out of my music time if I focus on one program for now.. I'll be getting a new improved Music of Numerology installment by the weekend..

I had two crashes today as I was trying out new things today expanding and refining the setup, lost an hours work but I knew where I was going so I could get back to the same spot pretty quickly.. My Imac is showing it's age, but I have so many periferials on my list and we pay a premium for such things in Denmark so a new computer is a least one year away..

Thanks again for the support!!

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 05-18-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToneshuzz View Post
I had two crashes today as I was trying out new things today expanding and refining the setup, lost an hours work but I knew where I was going so I could get back to the same spot pretty quickly.. My Imac is showing it's age, but I have so many periferials on my list and we pay a premium for such things in Denmark so a new computer is a least one year away..
Nice track!

Do me a favor and drop me an email with the crash reports...

Cheers,
Jim

Tags
tips & tricks, your music