Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 08-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Something like that, I'm not sure yet what will make the most sense. This is all about taking it step by step, er, so to speak....

Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 AM

Another quick question on this, Jim.

Does it require using the IAC 'workaround' or have you managed something else ? The only reason I ask, and I assume you're just thinking a bit more about the task, is that it seems to show in Live quite fine.

I've just loaded the demo of 'Eloquence' into various hosts, and unless I go and set up the IAC loopback, I get no MIDI. What's curious about this though, is it doesn't even seem to support MIDI out, even outside Logic, as Numerology doesn't show a MIDI out port, and Live doesn't seem to receive anything.

Looking at your Live screenshot, it suggests that you have normal MIDI out, so that Live, Numerology, etc. would work as normal - and perhaps something different for Logic ?

Thanks,

Michael.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 AM

Guess what ?!

Yesterday i took the plunge and bought Eloquence.
Cause they were heavily promoting the fact that it's AU could output MIDI.(via IAC bus).

Well, it can indeed (with rocksolid timing) BUT : only if you cable the IAC bus DIRECTLY to an software instrument track.

But what i really wanted is to RECORD the generated midi from eloquence.
So i thought : let's cable the IAC bus to the sequencer input object in logic.
And then , when in play , indeed i could record the midi but timing is WAY OFF !
(and i checked if i had an midi feedbackloop in logic but NO, wasn't the case)

So this is awfully disappointing for me !

I later tried it in Live 8 and (offcourse !) worked like a charm cause Live can directly output it's VST midi output to an midi input , with rock solid timing , so recording Eloquence's output was a breeze in live !

Side note : Eloquence is a pretty neat plugin in it's capabilities but i think Numerology has far better user interface and WAY MORE possibilities.

So bottom line for me : if Numerology as an audio unit can output it's midi with rock solid timing to the sequencer input with Logic , then i will sing Hallelujaah !!!

(the screenshot looks promising indeed , can't wait jim !!!)

Kind regards,

Rob
Old 08-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalaboy View Post
Another quick question on this, Jim.

Does it require using the IAC 'workaround' or have you managed something else ? The only reason I ask, and I assume you're just thinking a bit more about the task, is that it seems to show in Live quite fine.

I've just loaded the demo of 'Eloquence' into various hosts, and unless I go and set up the IAC loopback, I get no MIDI. What's curious about this though, is it doesn't even seem to support MIDI out, even outside Logic, as Numerology doesn't show a MIDI out port, and Live doesn't seem to receive anything.

Looking at your Live screenshot, it suggests that you have normal MIDI out, so that Live, Numerology, etc. would work as normal - and perhaps something different for Logic ?

Thanks,

Michael.
The MonoNote AU creates a virtual output port, so you can route that wherever you like. I will also add a MIDI out menu so you can switch to a hardware port if you prefer, or even an IAC bus.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Well, it can indeed (with rocksolid timing) BUT : only if you cable the IAC bus DIRECTLY to an software instrument track.

But what i really wanted is to RECORD the generated midi from eloquence.
So i thought : let's cable the IAC bus to the sequencer input object in logic.
And then , when in play , indeed i could record the midi but timing is WAY OFF !
Can you be more specific about "way off", as in "the timing was stable, but there was a lot of delay" or "the delay was short, but there was a lot of jitter in the recorded notes", or some combination of both...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Also, the plugin will have AU hosting, so you can sequence latency-free.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-17-2009, 03:27 AM

Cool

Hi Jim,

Sorry for being abit vague in my previous post.

This is more detailed :

I get a NEGATIVE delay of the generated midi notes from Eloquence of about 150 ms.
So for example : i put on Logic's metronome and then hit play and listen to the generated midi data from Eloquence that is arriving at logic's input object.(and going to another software instrument, just to hear it)

Then i hear that the midi data is running about 150 ms AHEAD of the metronome.

That is problem 1.
Problem 2 is that the generated midi data from eloquence has an amount of jitter : i can hear the timing isn't tight at all.

I got a response from Sugarbytes about this problem , they did test it and experienced the same results.
They said that the problem lies in Logic , not cooping well with midi data coming from the IAC bus.

So there is nothing they can do about this problem ; it is in Apple hands (so THEY said).

Now you stated that the AU version of Numerology will use a virtual midi out port (not being neccesarily the IAC bus) ?

Very anxious to hear if your solution is gonna work better in Logic !
I so very hope so ; for me it will be like i am in heaven when it works tight !

Kind regards,

Rob van Hees
Old 08-17-2009, 09:56 AM

I am not fond of being negative on forums or anywhere but I must say that I had a terrible experience with Sugarbytes Consequence. I was very excited about it when it was announced and all the PR led one to believe that it had some serious midi out capabilities. I bought it on day one and the midi out didn't work at all. The KVR message boards exploded, I emailed them (as I'm sure many people did) and honestly they seemed kind of frustrated at the users. Then they released an update which somehow enabled midi in a very rudimentary manner (as in all 4 voices generated by the plugin were funneled to one single channel) and didn't even announce the update nor change the version number. I thought consequence was very promising but very limited in its initial release and I was expecting a few updates to it which would allow for better midi and also the ability for one to add their own sounds to its banks instead of being stuck with its default sound bank. A year later and the plugin sits right at version 1.0 as it did the day it was released. I realize that I am at fault for purchasing the plugin day one and really regret it... I got hyped about it, it looked really cool and I thought I'd be buying into a product that was going to mature.

Point being.... it's a competitive market out there and Sugarbytes lost at least one customer. I understand why Jim is putting the time in to stay competitive and develop the plugin functionality. He already has many loyal customers who appreciate his fantastic communication. I would love to see the Pro version sooner but I fully understand the necessity to come up with solutions to these plugin problems now because as the Numerology user base expands the demand for a simple plugin mononote step sequencer will not go away... and what a bargain that is when it is cheaper than Eloquence and comes with Numerology 2 as well!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
The MonoNote AU creates a virtual output port, so you can route that wherever you like. I will also add a MIDI out menu so you can switch to a hardware port if you prefer, or even an IAC bus.
That's a great solution Does this mean that if multiple MonoNote AU are added, there's a virtual out created for each ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Also, the plugin will have AU hosting, so you can sequence latency-free.
Superb !!

(I know I'd decided I didn't need an AU, but this 'solution' you seem to have come to is great, and I'd feel stupid if I didn't encourage it )
Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM

Hi mate,

I have the same negative experience with SB Eloquence.
Bought it right at day 1 (last sunday) and now i am disappointed.
Their promotion about the workaround for getting midi data into logic was misleading imho.

Cause they have ignored the fact that people (like me) also want the capability to RECORD the midi data into logic without a hassle.
Or is this too much too ask for ? i think not !

Nowhere in the manual (which is very basic and short) you can read about the ability to record the midi data and how to do it and if it works.
Offcourse in ableton Live this goes without a hassle (my own experience) and i assume Cubase is the right partner for that too.
But even for these apps there is no explanation on how to record the midi data from eloquence.

I hope Jim wil crush Eloquence and Consequence with his pro version !
(and as a matter a fact : i do believe he will (or did already haha!)

Kind regards,

Rob