Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 01-05-2015, 12:02 AM

Default Renoise + Numerology AU

I've been messing around with Renoise + Numerology running as an AU instrument. It seems to basically work pretty well, but there's one thing I can't quite figure out:

When I hit play in Renoise, the Numerology plugin also starts rolling and outputting MIDI, but suppose I don't want Numerology to start playing anything until the third pattern in Renoise, and then only for a couple of patterns before stopping again.

How do I make that happen?

I'm pretty sure this is a rather basic question, so please forgive me for asking . . . I'm new to Numerology (and fairly new to Renoise too).

Any other Renoise/Numerology users out there? What's your workflow?
Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 AM

I should probably have dug into the Numerology manual a bit more before posting the above. I see that I should probably be using the MIDI trigger Play Mode and/or triggering presets using MIDI assignments.

Will try it all out when I get home tonight!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Actually simpler than that: Just setup your first stack preset do do nothing -- i.e. mute the sequencer module. Set that preset to run for a couple bars, then have the 2nd preset do the sequencing. Name the first preset 'MUTED' to make it clear what is going on.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 PM

Thanks Jim –

I had a play with triggering the sequencer with a MIDI note and changing Presets with both MIDI notes and program changes from Renoise. It works up to a point, but this morning it also struck me that it might be simpler to have the Numerology transport locked to Renoise and use a muted Preset (as you suggested) if you don't want anything playing.

But I guess this doesn't get around the slight annoyance of having to send Preset changes the bar before you want them to take effect. (I tried switching off the Preset change quantize from 'Bar' to 'None' but that introduces the problem of overlapping notes, where the last note of one Preset is overlapped by the first note of the new Preset.)

Will experiment some more tonight. Hope I can get a good workflow going with the Renoise/Numerology combo!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 PM

Well, after some more messing around, I think linking Renoise and Numerology via Rewire is the best option. Seems to work really well and actually sounds tighter than using Numerology via the AU plugin. And since the timeline in Numerology is available when using it standalone, we get around the problem of having to send Preset changes beforehand.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:44 AM

Had a long session over the weekend making a track in Renoise + Numerology (Rewired). Mostly it works pretty well, but there's one major annoyance.

So I have a few Numerology stacks, each with a few Presets, and I want to make an arrangement in the Timeline.

With REC enabled in Num, I start playback in Renoise of say the first 8 bars and then click on the presets in real time to lay them down in the Timeline. So far so good.

Now I move on the the next part of say 16 bars . . . I set playback in Renoise to start from bar 9 and continue to the end of bar 16. Hit Play and select the desired Num Presents.

Trouble is that when I look into the Num Timeline, bars 1 to 8 are empty – everything has been erased.

Another odd thing (although it doesn't seem to affect anything particularly) is if I work in Renoise for a while without switching to the Num screen, then switch to the Num screen, it's like everything that's been happening graphically in Num is being stored up in a buffer and is now being played out as fast as possible. The MIDI/audio is fine, it's just the screen redrawing that's doing this funny thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatched View Post
Had a long session over the weekend making a track in Renoise + Numerology (Rewired). Mostly it works pretty well, but there's one major annoyance.

So I have a few Numerology stacks, each with a few Presets, and I want to make an arrangement in the Timeline.

With REC enabled in Num, I start playback in Renoise of say the first 8 bars and then click on the presets in real time to lay them down in the Timeline. So far so good.

Now I move on the the next part of say 16 bars . . . I set playback in Renoise to start from bar 9 and continue to the end of bar 16. Hit Play and select the desired Num Presents.

Trouble is that when I look into the Num Timeline, bars 1 to 8 are empty – everything has been erased.
Sounds like a bug to me! (will put on the list…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatched View Post
Another odd thing (although it doesn't seem to affect anything particularly) is if I work in Renoise for a while without switching to the Num screen, then switch to the Num screen, it's like everything that's been happening graphically in Num is being stored up in a buffer and is now being played out as fast as possible. The MIDI/audio is fine, it's just the screen redrawing that's doing this funny thing.
I can pretty much guarantee that is Apples 'app nap' being a bit overaggressive. I'm putting in a fix for that for the first 4.1 build, and I can probably do something to keep animation at a minimum when Num is not the front-most app.

Jim
Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Thanks Jim for the reply,

Actually, after playing around last night with Numerology as an AU MIDI plugin in Logic Pro X, I can safely say that that solution feels like the most tightly integrated method of working. So perhaps I'll forget about Renoise for the moment and pursue the Logic/Num workflow.

Peter

Tags
daw, plugin, renoise, workflow