Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM

Default Very , very basic Logic question (I think)

I'm pretty competent 'within the box' of Logic, but am a complete novice when it comes to rewire, midi, or basically anything that links Logic to the outside world. So please forgive what I assume is a very basic question; I assume it is so basic I either couldn't find, or couldn't recognize when I did find, the answer in the manual or by searching these forums.

Basically I just want to use Numerology to make basic patterns, that I can develop using the actual plugins I intend to use, and then import those midi patterns into Logic, where I can reload the plugin on the track but still have the ability to tweak the pattern in Logic itself.

So, in baby-steps terms, how do I do this? I'm fine loading AUs into Numerology and devising patterns. I'm fine working with midi in Logic. But how -- and again, I know this is basic stuff -- do I get a pattern out of Numerology and into Logic? I'm sure it has to do with the midi clock syncing I read about in the manual, but are there very basic instructions on how to do that anywhere (including what to set up on the Logic side)? I don't even think I need syncing -- simply exporting a pattern would be fine, which I could then load into Logic.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer with this basic question!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Administrator

For now, the best way to get a sequencer pattern copied from Numerology to Logic is to load the stack with the pattern into Numerology running standalone (or in ReWire mode), click the 'MIDI Rec Enable" button for that stack, and 'play it out' for as many bars as necessary to get what you need. The MIDI file will show up in the .media folder for that project, which you can then drag into a MIDI or instrument track in Logic.

Some background: This task is indeed a bit more complicated than it should be, due to various details. In particular, Numerology's plugins don't really yet have a place to write files, so MIDI and Audio recording are not enabled for the plugins, thus you have to run the app standalone. Also, since a stack can have several modules generating MIDI, the most general solution is to just record all the MIDI output for a stack directly to a file. That's the only way to accommodate all cases, so I implemented that solution first.

Numerology 4 will allow drag-n-drop of MIDI clips from the Note Sequencer modules directly into other hosts, so this task -- at least in the basic case -- will become much easier. As the internal sequence data for Numerology's sequence modules is not MIDI (that's why they're so flexible), and the translation of that data into MIDI gets to be a bit tricky in some case (pitch glide, random jump), it is rather time consuming to sort out all the details, but I'm working on it...

... and do let me know if you need any more details on the process described above...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Thank you for the quick reply; I think I understand, and at least now I have confidence that, if further questions come up, I can get help here. I hope to buy a license within a few days, so just fair warning that I may be back bugging you again soon.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Groovy... no worries, we're here!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirkusPi View Post
I'm pretty competent 'within the box' of Logic, but am a complete novice when it comes to rewire, midi, or basically anything that links Logic to the outside world. So please forgive what I assume is a very basic question; I assume it is so basic I either couldn't find, or couldn't recognize when I did find, the answer in the manual or by searching these forums.

Basically I just want to use Numerology to make basic patterns, that I can develop using the actual plugins I intend to use, and then import those midi patterns into Logic, where I can reload the plugin on the track but still have the ability to tweak the pattern in Logic itself.

So, in baby-steps terms, how do I do this? I'm fine loading AUs into Numerology and devising patterns. I'm fine working with midi in Logic. But how -- and again, I know this is basic stuff -- do I get a pattern out of Numerology and into Logic? I'm sure it has to do with the midi clock syncing I read about in the manual, but are there very basic instructions on how to do that anywhere (including what to set up on the Logic side)? I don't even think I need syncing -- simply exporting a pattern would be fine, which I could then load into Logic.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer with this basic question!
Check out this thread, I have a video showing how to do this.
http://five12.net/showthread.php?t=1572
Let me know if you have issues with the video, I just noticed issues on Safari with Mountain Lion.