Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 12-09-2013, 03:34 PM

Default Numerology+DAW workflows?

I have finally started to understand how Ableton works (took a while!)
and found a workflow that i believe is beginning to become productive and inspiring.
(This is not an advice! Im actually really unsure if this is a smart way of working. )

I use Numerology standalone. (edit* or wait its not standalone i guess when you use it with a daw)
1)
When i find interesting and matching sequences i record those in Ableton.
(don't even know if its over IAC or Rewire)
The recorded midisequences i have to cut to nice loops.
2)
Then i have several clips in session view which quite resemble the Numerology presets, but i can edit further/split/group.
3)
After that i put all clips on Gate and Legato launch mode and record my fiddling into the Arrangement real time.
4)
After that i do automation, etc.

Hows your workflow?

(if i may ask, i'm a beginner and don't know if this is totally unethical)

Last edited by Stuff; 12-10-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Looks good to me... Actually my approach for doing mixes in DP is very similar, but with audio instead of MIDI...

N4 makes that workflow a bit easier too, by allowing you to drag MIDI clips directly from the StackOut module...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 AM

Yes! looking forward for the midirecorddraganddrop!

Last edited by Stuff; 12-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Default DAW Integration

Here's my story -

Up until now, I have worked with Logic as my DAW and do what I'll loosely call ambient/rock/pop type music. I've got a few external synths (microQ, Microbrute, Sub Phatty) but I'm mostly ITB. I'm not a performer...just a basement synth hobbyist.

My goal for 2014 is finishing songs, not just jamming, experimenting and exploring sound. Nothing wrong with that - just want to go back to composing.

To do that, I realize I need to commit to a specific and restricted set of tools, and today took the plunge updating to Numerology 4 SE. Up until now, I've done a lot of interesting things with Numerology 3, but they are "clips" more than songs. I find it difficult to really develop ideas or do standard type of melody/harmony recording in N4.

So, what I'm looking for are any video or other tutorials/guidance on how to establishing a composition oriented workflow with N4 alone or N4 and Logic.

Last edited by zaxmalloy; 01-20-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:50 PM

Second time this has happened to me recently, but the day I post on the FIve-12 Forum, some sort of game changer comes along.

Today, it's the N4 upgrade enabling Numerology as a MIDIFX. This looks like it actually will have major, positive impact on Logic integration...
Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
Second time this has happened to me recently, but the day I post on the FIve-12 Forum, some sort of game changer comes along.

Today, it's the N4 upgrade enabling Numerology as a MIDIFX. This looks like it actually will have major, positive impact on Logic integration...
Indeed it should. I'm formulating a reply to your initial question -- which if you take it face value (i.e. general productivity) could fill a book...

Jim
Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Indeed it should. I'm formulating a reply to your initial question -- which if you take it face value (i.e. general productivity) could fill a book...

Jim
Yes, I realize my question was pretty open ended - unfair even. I really like the video tutorials you have posted on the site because they not only explain rudiments but also an idea/example on how you can work with the tools....and you can download the actual agnostic template.

I guess what I'm really seeking is an 'over the shoulder' view to gain an understanding of how it could go...from ideas (in both programs) to a mix stage. Perhaps as part of that, also coming to some sort of understanding of how N4 Pro varies from N4 SE.

That said, last night, just turning on N4 MidiFX AU for a test run made a couple of things more logical and intuitive. I have some questions, but I'm going to hold them until I have a chance to logically (so to speak) work through solutions.