Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Techniques > Integration

Old 03-02-2014, 08:38 AM

Default MidiFX/Rewire

For some reason MIDIFX is no longer working in Logic ProX using latest builds of both in Mavericks OSX. I also can't seem to get Rewire going.

When I fire up MidiFX, I just get the beach ball of death. And in Rewire there just doesn't seem to be any communication.

Is there some documentation that can hep me step through issues in order to troubleshoot?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Administrator

I'll check it, which build of N4 do you have installed?

Tks,
Jim
Old 03-02-2014, 02:14 PM

Logic 10.0.6
Numerology 4 SE 130

Actually I was able to get both working. I'm not sure what was going on with MidiFX...but I tried once again to insert it, walked away for about a half hour and when I returned the insert was available.

Now when I insert it on subsequent tracks, it does so quickly with just a slight pause. I do have a question about control, in that whenever I start the transport in Logic, the stack starts in Numerology: how can I get a stack to start and stop based on being within a MIDI region in Logic?

EDIT: One other control confusion I'm experiencing is when I use Numerology as a MIDIFX in one track, it triggers all other software instrument tracks I select. For example, I have Numerology as MIDFX on one track with ES-2 as the instrument and two instances of interval-gate-note sequencers. I create a new track with Logic's Electric Piano plug in so I can improvise some chords. However, Whenever I select the Electric Piano track, the sequencers within the Es-2 track also trigger the EP. If I select only the ES-2 track, it does not trigger the electric piano.

How do I keep it isolated to the specific track? I tried a MIDI Filter and changing the instrument to a separate MIDI channel, but that did not seem to work.

Regarding Rewire again I was finally able to configure it, but Logic only sees one stereo Rewire channel available from Numerology. And the Patchbay in Numerology only shows one rewire channel out. Is that accurate?

Last edited by zaxmalloy; 03-02-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
Logic 10.0.6
Numerology 4 SE 130

Actually I was able to get both working. I'm not sure what was going on with MidiFX...but I tried once again to insert it, walked away for about a half hour and when I returned the insert was available.
Interesting -- be sure to ping me if it happens again!

Quote:
Now when I insert it on subsequent tracks, it does so quickly with just a slight pause. I do have a question about control, in that whenever I start the transport in Logic, the stack starts in Numerology: how can I get a stack to start and stop based on being within a MIDI region in Logic?
Well, possibly it could be done w/ MIDI input to the N4 AUMX, but there is currently an issues w/ LogicX whereby neither of the N4 AUs are getting MIDI -- that's something I'm working on.

Regardless, I think your best bet is to use the preset playlist. Setup your first preset as a 'muted' preset, and use that to insert blanks, etc.

Quote:
EDIT: One other control confusion I'm experiencing is when I use Numerology as a MIDIFX in one track, it triggers all other software instrument tracks I select. For example, I have Numerology as MIDFX on one track with ES-2 as the instrument and two instances of interval-gate-note sequencers. I create a new track with Logic's Electric Piano plug in so I can improvise some chords. However, Whenever I select the Electric Piano track, the sequencers within the Es-2 track also trigger the EP. If I select only the ES-2 track, it does not trigger the electric piano.

How do I keep it isolated to the specific track? I tried a MIDI Filter and changing the instrument to a separate MIDI channel, but that did not seem to work.
Weird, my guess, is that you have to setup a custom routing in the Environment, which I have not tried yet w/ the AU MX... Also, Apple has been trying to hide -- you have to turn on an 'advanced' pref somewhere to get to it.

Quote:
Regarding Rewire again I was finally able to configure it, but Logic only sees one stereo Rewire channel available from Numerology. And the Patchbay in Numerology only shows one rewire channel out. Is that accurate?
Update to N4 build 131:
http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?t=2664

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Thanks Jim -

Okay, got the Rewire issue sorted. Turns out I needed to update Numerology by dragging the application directly to the Finder/Applications folder so it would replace the older version - otherwise my desktop shortcut kept going to version 130.

As far as the environment I can navigate to it but manipulating it remains daunting for those of us that don't spend much time there...I sort of have to re-learn it on each visit. Certainly Logic X is much easier than LP9 with setting up external instruments, implementing MIDI effects, which has made my visits there even more rare.

That said, in either case, I'll keep you updated on what I find in terms of work around. My concern is understanding capability at the moment, not a specific obstacle in a composition.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 AM

To stop your N4 MIDI FX triggering your selected tracks. Go to the environment CMD-8 then select Click & Ports from the Layer menu, create a new monitor object and label it what you like, now simply connect any offending MIDI ports to it. Every new N4 MIDI FX you use seems to create a new port, each one will need to be connected to the dead end monitor.

This stops any unwanted stray MIDI data being sent to the active track by routing it away from the default Sequencer Input object. I always connect my Launchpad up to it and now seeing as I have just upgraded to Mavericks I will connect any Numerology AU ports to it.

If you decided you wanted to connect any MIDI port to a specific channel strip, you can do this by option clicking the monitor output and making your selection from the drop down menu. Obviously this will send all MIDI data received at the monitors input to the output, so you may need to create another dead end monitor.

***Update - It seems you have to reconnect the Numerology AU ports to the dead end monitor every time you reopen the project***

Last edited by Groovetronic; 03-12-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added update
Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 AM

Thanks. Not exactly elegant but it does work.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 PM

Just to jump into this thread . . .

When using the Num AUMX in Logic X, I thought I'd be able to record the MIDI output of the plugin by record-enabling the track and hitting Record. But not so.

The only way I found to record the Num-generated MIDI into Logic was to set the alternative MIDI output in the Num plugin to an IAC Bus MIDI channel. Is that the best/only way of doing that?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatched View Post
When using the Num AUMX in Logic X, I thought I'd be able to record the MIDI output of the plugin by record-enabling the track and hitting Record. But not so.
AFAIK, that is a LogicX thing -- once the MIDI is generated, the plugin has no control over where it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatched View Post
The only way I found to record the Num-generated MIDI into Logic was to set the alternative MIDI output in the Num plugin to an IAC Bus MIDI channel. Is that the best/only way of doing that?
Another option is the "MIDI Clip Recorder" on the StackOut modules, which seems to have not gotten much coverage in the doc… Anyway, drag the 'blue note' out of the well to get a copy of the current Preset's output….

Jim
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Another option is the "MIDI Clip Recorder" on the StackOut modules, which seems to have not gotten much coverage in the doc… Anyway, drag the 'blue note' out of the well to get a copy of the current Preset's output….
Jim
Oh, so that's what that little blue note is for!
I couldn't figure out what it was . . .
Will try that out tonight!

thanks