Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-14-2014, 11:02 AM

Question Lemur & N4...howto....?

Hey Jim, hey everybody.
Just purch'd Lemur.
Needless to say I'm kicking myself in the gonads for not having done this before (said the same thing when I bought N3... I must be a slow learner).

Is it possible to patch the Lemur's faders to N4's mixer faders?
Looks like a marriage made in heaven...

Cheers

Paul
Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM

Of course you can!
Use 'midi learn' or 'osc learn' for that (right-click the thing you want to control). I typically learn Faderboxes/ XY Modules, and hook their cv outputs up to ParamMod Modules for the utmost flexibility.

In Numerology's preferences, make sure 'reflect midi cc's' is ticked. If you're using Midi that is….

Osc requires you to set the right port. I believe Lemur only listens to port 8000.
I don't know if that's still the case though…..

I used to have an iPad (until it got stolen). Midi gave me less headaches that OSC, unless the OSC setup was done automatically by the app (Like Touchable for example).
But that might just be my inexperience with this wireless computer stuff going on. It's not tangible enough for me.
Give me a toolbox and i'll build you a universe.
Give me a computer to program stuff with and i'll get this glazed 'WTF' stare on my face…..

That being said, Lemur was amazing to work with! While i'm at it, do check out Konkreet Performer if you haven't already. It's effin' awesome!!!!!
The only problem (like with a lot of stuff out there) is drowning in the sea of the possibilities they offer and not getting anything done.
Structure and discipline is required for that.

Last edited by 33tetragammon; 03-14-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:34 PM

@33tetragrammon:

Yep got N4 hooked up pretty fast, and yes it is sweet to ride those "lagging" lemur-fadeys

Another question - digging a bit deeper.
How do I reach the innards of my soft synths with the lemur?
I'm not getting any response. to the various "learn" commands I use.
Channel is responding 'cause I see the yellow "led" light up when I move the faders, etc. However no midi signal seems to be arriving at the AU synth.
(and yes the synth's midi in is connected to the stack's midi-in).

Cheers

Paul

P.s. yes I'm totally with you with the "infinite possibilities" conundrum. OTOH, taking time to play with them all can be such an enriching time waster
Old 03-14-2014, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle GroOve View Post
Another question - digging a bit deeper.
How do I reach the innards of my soft synths with the lemur?
So MIDI Learn for each plugin is going to be a bit different -- some plugins have no support at all, some have elaborate but fixed mappings, others use the relatively common convention of control-click to enter learn mode.

However, in the latest N4 build, there is a new option: You can use the "MIDI / OSC Mappings" dialog to setup your own mappings for each module. Just open the mapping dialog from the menu in the module's header, then use the MIDI or OSC learn buttons as needed. This dialog will work for both internal modules and AU's...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post

However, in the latest N4 build, there is a new option: You can use the "MIDI / OSC Mappings" dialog to setup your own mappings for each module. Just open the mapping dialog from the menu in the module's header, then use the MIDI or OSC learn buttons as needed. This dialog will work for both internal modules and AU's...

Cheers,
Jim
Wow, just tested this. If i save the module with the Midi mapping i made for it in N4's browser the mapping is retained when loading the module again. Nice……

Jim, when will N4 Push be able to (n…LOL!!!) auto map to faderboxes?
Just a friendly bump on a feature i know you're working on…...
Old 03-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Jim:

This sounds great, and an answer to my earlier question about accessing AU parameters. Could you walk us through an example? I looked at the dialogue you mention and see only N4 parameters to map, no indication of getting to AU parameters….

Quote:
So MIDI Learn for each plugin is going to be a bit different -- some plugins have no support at all, some have elaborate but fixed mappings, others use the relatively common convention of control-click to enter learn mode.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-19-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:

Cheers,
Jim
Been looking for it - it must be staring at me but I fail to see it. I'll look better.
I've solved my issue w/ controlling the synths via Lemur. One of those face palm moments... I had interrupted the midi wifi connection in order to come here to browse and therefore no midi signal was coming back to N4

Cheers

Paul
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 PM

So I guess this is an ok thread for this, and sorry if it has been discussed elsewhere and I didn't find it..
Messing with this lemur launchpad-alike template and told N4 that it was a launchpad, and by golly....

everything works pretty ok! isn't as responsive to touches as i'd like but certainly usable. may be because I have an eisenhower era ipad. one thing is that 4th page that has where you can change key, octave and forward/reverse/random etc... - it works, but it doesn't receive lights as on the actual launchpad - any ideas why this may be and how I can go about poking at the template to get it working?
sure is awesome to have 2 launchpads and the main sequence spanned across both of them!

edit:
ooops - I was using an older version of that template I downloaded quite a while back - went and looked and there is a v2 - which is here:https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/383/.
Works generally better overall, dragging across squares works where i had to explicitly press each square on the old one, and that fourth page I was talking about works perfectly now, it is just like the real deal.
This is great!

Last edited by udder; 04-05-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Nice!

Jim

Tags
lemur, liine, map faders to mixer