Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 08-29-2014, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Default 16 Track Drums & New Drum Map...

So I'm working on bumping the DrumSeq up to 16 tracks, which also means adding more default note mappings. I'm taking the opportunity to revise the default drum mapping -- and to make a prototype of the SampleKit pre-mapped to 16 drum parts.

Here's what I've got so far:

1: Bass Drum
2: Snare Drum
3: Open Hat
4: Closed Hat

5: Low Tom
6: Mid Tom
7: High Tom
8: Hand Clap

9: Ride Cymbal
10: Crash1
11: Crash2
12: Rimshot / Sidestick

13: Log Conga
14: High Conga
15: Low Timbale
16: High Timbale

-- Note that I've grouped things into 4, to match the Launchpad/Push mapping pages. That's also why I moved the OH/CL pair to the first page, they match well w/ BD/SD, and allow all 3 Toms can be on the same page.

-- Tracks 13-16 are really just placeholders, most kits will use other sounds.

-- Of course, you can always make your own custom maps, save the module presets, and use those as your 'prototype' modules...

... But, I am (as always) interested in hearing your comments -- perhaps there are better options for the last 4 sounds, etc.

For reference, here's a couple links showing the GeneralMIDI drum mapping:
http://computermusicresource.com/GM....on.KeyMap.html
http://cs.uccs.edu/~cs525/midi/midi.html (scroll down about halfway -- this one shows the notes relative to a keyboard).

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM

Default default drum sounds

I'll just throw out some ideas:

1. Bass drum
2. Snare
3. x-stick
4. hand clap

5. closed hat
6. open hat
7. foot-hat (chick)
8. shaker/cabasa

9. low tom
10. mid tom
11. high tom
12. cowbell

13. ride
14. ride bell
15. crash 1
16. crash 2

And a percussion version:

1. Bass drum
2. Snare
3. x-stick
4. clave

5. closed hat
6. open hat
7. foot-hat (chick)
8. shaker/cabasa

9. low conga
10. high conga
11. high conga slap
12. cowbell

13. mute triangle
14. open triangle
15. ride
16. crash
Old 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM

For me Stubbsonic's way of laying things out is better, because I'm more likely to want more variety with my snare and hat patterns and it makes sense for those sounds to be grouped together. I also feel the clap sits best alongside the snare, and the shaker alongside the hats.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Administrator

I've gone for a bit of a hybrid of the two approaches for now. The great thing about the N4 browser is that you can easily build your own... though if you get sneaky and replace the prototypes in the factory library locations, make sure to keep a copy, as the installer will overwrite them!

BD - C1
SD - E1
OH Bb1
CL Gb1

x-stick Db1
clap Eb1
ride Eb2
crash Db2

low tom : f1
mid tom : b1
high tom : C2
crash2 : (A2)

foot-hat (Ab1)
ridebell (F2)
triangle (A4)
shaker (A3)
Old 09-05-2014, 05:49 PM

I've been using a pair of 8-part DrumSeqs for a while, and a nice aspect of this approach is that I can treat the individual DrumSeqs as 2 'groups'. I.e. I can mute one of the sequencers, thus muting that group. Consequently, I voiced each DrumSeq as alternative 8-part kits (with some variation), like :

1. Kick 1
2. Snare 1
3. Snare 2
4. Rim/Side

5. CH 1
6. OH 1
7. Shaker 1
8. Ride Cymbal

9. Kick 2
10. Snare 3
11. Snare 4
12. Clap

13. CH 2
14. OH 2
15. Shaker 2
16. Crash Cymbal

Will there be any form of group muting in the new 16 drum seq ? Groups of 4 or of 8. Though I guess this is not an issue for people with a Launchpad, as that makes it easy to stab 4 or 8 buttons at once.

I use a number of different kits, but I try to always place sounds that occupy similar parts of the spectrum, so in an Indian kit, the low Tabla would replace the Kicks, various higher tabla sounds would replace snares, bells replacing cymbals, etc.

The GM-like kit you originally listed seems to attempt to cover as many bases as it can, within a generally 'rock' genre, with a nod to latin in the form of congas. Roland's (16-part) TR505 had a very similar kit, I think it had 3 congas, but very similar.

Rather than voicing a kit in terms of specific drums, I think voicing it by the spectral content may be more effective, especially when translating to alternative kits.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Interesting -- I am glad you appreciate the benefits of using 2 DrumSeqs! -- though I also understand and want to support the need to work w/ 16 tracks at once. ... and there are some interesting 16-track drum things coming this way soon...

The new build w/ the new mapping is up now (http://www.five12.net/showthread.php?p=12856#post12856).

Just so everyone knows, here is how you can make your own module prototypes:

- Setup the DrumSeq, SampleKit (or *any* module) the way you like.
- Click the 'floppy disk' icon to bring up the presets for that module in the Browser.
- Drag the floppy icon to the Browser to save a preset, give it a good name.

Now you can create new modules with that preset file, just like w/ the built-in ones, by dragging it in from the 'User Modules' area. All the user module files are stored in
~/Music/Five12/Modules
And are grouped by module type.

But you can also create your own directories there and re-org modules the way you like. Prefix your custom directories with an underscore and they will be sorted to the top. You can also put a 'sort.txt' file in each directory to determine how the contents are sorted. The sort.txt file is just a list of the modules by name. Here is the one for the Factory NoteSequencer dir:

MonoNote
PolyNote
DrumSeq-8
DrumSeq-16
ChordSeq
MatrixSeq
MatrixArpeggiator

... No special notation or anything.

BTW: The Factory modules are stored in
~/Music/Five12/Application Support/Numerology/Modules

They are just module preset files, like everything else, so you can copy them to the user Modules area to use as a basis for your own module library.

You could even put your module preset files in there, HOWEVER, that directory will be overwritten each time I ship a version of Numerology w/ an update module library, so I recommend you don't do that!

Jim
Old 09-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Amazing! Thanks Jim!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:41 PM

i don't mind naming them or want mapping other than linear most of the time, since i'm using drum kits i've made elsewhere and the sounds are setup to work that way.

what i'd find super helpful to have an option to change the mapping of all tracks at once / auto fill the notes linearly (when manually editing). so if i had 12 tracks and changed the 1st track to note 60 track 2 would be 61 ... track 12 would be 72. maybe if you held command or something while changing the assignment all the tracks under it would change?

(also being able to change all the midi channels at once)

with drum maps, different midi devices use different midi numbers as starting places, and "c" can be different across devices so sometimes you have to fiddle to get the mapping... but the drum seq is also useful to play presets within numerology or patterns or sequences on other midi boxes and chances are i want to see it linearly, with maybe a few that aren't. if i'm playing presets or patterns there are too many possibilities for me to make all the mappings ahead of time, so it can be a lot of clicking to setup.

( i don't just use the matrix because the ability to temporarily modulate the note assignment of just one track is great! although i like to use the matrix to play the drum seq. )
Old 09-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Administrator

I did consider for both the DrumSeq & SampleKit a couple 'macro' menu items to fill in note maps, but other than the GM Drums mappings and a couple obvious chromatic ones, there are so many variations that I just decided to let it sit for a while. There are a couple entry bugs in the number box that I will fix to make them easier to edit. I'm also considering a modifier-key based way to edit a param for all parts in the SampleKit at once...

Jim