Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 PM

Default A thought : Can Numerology do this ??

Hi there,

There is something what i would really find awesome if that would be / is possible somehow in Numerology;

Alot of times i have a note sequence (phrase) in my head which i want to work out as midi.

Now the problem is that i am not a keyboard/piano player, so playing that phrase and recording it would always take some time for me; finding the right note pitches.

However, the "rhythmic" of the phrase i can easily "tap in" by means of a drum midi controller for example.

For example : the rhythmic of the phrase is : 1/8 , 1/8 , 1/16, 1/16, 1/16, 1/16, 1/8, 1/8, 1/16, 1/16, 1/16, 1/16 ( 4 beat phrase).

Is it possible in Numerology to import such a rhythmic phrase /sequence as a midi file (or to record it) in Numerology, so then i only have to alter the pitches to the right notes ?

Bottom line of this story is that i find that step programming the rhythmic (note lenghts) of a sequence abit time consuming in Numerology, considering that i would be capable to "tap in" the rhythmic within no-time, by means of a drum midi controller.

Maybe you all lift your eyebrowses on this story and find me whining about nothing.

However, i hope you can take my question seriously !

Kind regards,

Rob.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Short answer for the record part is, yes.

If I understand your question correctly the following should work (I just did it). In an empty stack I added a poly note sequencer. Then I set the midi in on the stack to my keyboard controller. I then set the length of the sequence to something I would like. I clicked the record button (which gives a default of realtime) and proceeded to play the notes in. Everything showed up as I played it.

I have also played a midi clip from Ableton live (output to Numerology of course) and the notes were recorded as well. In addition to that, I recorded the output of a VST (Thesys) and it worked.

However, I can't speak to the midi file import question (I'm a bit new to the program).

Hope this helps you.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM

Smile

UncleAge, this is just great !

You explained it very well.

I'm gonna try it right away !

Best,

Rob.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAge View Post
Short answer for the record part is, yes.

If I understand your question correctly the following should work (I just did it). In an empty stack I added a poly note sequencer. Then I set the midi in on the stack to my keyboard controller. I then set the length of the sequence to something I would like. I clicked the record button (which gives a default of realtime) and proceeded to play the notes in. Everything showed up as I played it.

I have also played a midi clip from Ableton live (output to Numerology of course) and the notes were recorded as well. In addition to that, I recorded the output of a VST (Thesys) and it worked.

However, I can't speak to the midi file import question (I'm a bit new to the program).

Hope this helps you.

How did you get the output of Thesys to record in Num?

I am using the AU of Thesys .. Please help.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
How did you get the output of Thesys to record in Num?
For Audio, make sure your project is saved, then hit the audio-rec enable button for the stack (on the mixer channel or the Stack Out module), and hit play. You'll get one take each time you start the transport.

To record MIDI:
- Set Thesys to output MIDI to an IAC bus
- Set the MIDI input for any stack to be that same IAC bus
- On the routing page for that stack, connect the MIDI Input for the stack to the MIDI output.
- Click the MIDI-rec enable button for the stack, and hit play.

All recordings are stored in the ".media" sidecar folder for the project.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
For Audio, make sure your project is saved, then hit the audio-rec enable button for the stack (on the mixer channel or the Stack Out module), and hit play. You'll get one take each time you start the transport.

To record MIDI:
- Set Thesys to output MIDI to an IAC bus
- Set the MIDI input for any stack to be that same IAC bus
- On the routing page for that stack, connect the MIDI Input for the stack to the MIDI output.
- Click the MIDI-rec enable button for the stack, and hit play.

All recordings are stored in the ".media" sidecar folder for the project.

Cheers,
Jim
For some reason I cannot get it to record... Maybe it's my G4 Midi setup. When i have the time to tinker.. But how about MIDI IMPORT (drag and drop)? That would be a winner.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
For some reason I cannot get it to record... Maybe it's my G4 Midi setup. When i have the time to tinker..
When you're ready, email me offline for more instructions...

Quote:
But how about MIDI IMPORT (drag and drop)? That would be a winner.
It's on my list, but I can't say when it will happen yet.

Cheers,
Jim