Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Default Five12 is listening...

Recently I've gotten a couple emails from prospective buyers asking for a time-limited demo so they can save their work. I can't easily add that right now, but I think I have a reasonable compromise in mind. The name of this solution is:

"Your first stack is free"

The new demo mode would allow you open any project, but you cannot create any new stacks, and you can only save projects with a single stack (other than the clock stack), and it cannot contain more than 2 NoteSequencers or 10 modules total. Also, the transport will probably stop every so often (haven't decided yet how often...). Those of you that have been around for a while will recognize this as being very similar to the original demo restrictions for 1.4 (and earlier).

I haven't had time to implement this idea yet, but I do hope to have it in the next build.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM

Oh just buy the thing people! $100 ain't chump change... but its also an incredibly fair price for a completely unique/unprecedented piece of software. I guarantee if Native Instruments made this same software they would be charging way more than $100 for it and they wouldn't be listening to your feature requests.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a satisfied customer to me...
Old 12-21-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamburglar View Post
Oh just buy the thing people! $100 ain't chump change... but its also an incredibly fair price for a completely unique/unprecedented piece of software. I guarantee if Native Instruments made this same software they would be charging way more than $100 for it and they wouldn't be listening to your feature requests.
Errrm, yeah. I misinterpreted your response initially, but subscribed to the forum anyway, I guess just to document my reasons for hesitation. I agree it's a fair price for what it is, it's just a pity that the exchange rate for my currency has gone down the toilet from where it was earlier this year (which would have made my purchase pretty much automatic). But to some extent Numerology is actually more than I am really in the market for, which is a step sequencer (preferably as a plugin, to be honest) to integrate into Plogue Bidule. Preferably cross-platform, but hey you can't have everything. So I'm hesitating about paying for hosting features that I don't really need.

That said, I was playing with beta 32 the other evening (probably the 2nd or 3rd time I've played with the demo, and had read through the docs a bit more thoroughly), and I had more fun than I've had for ages with music software. Which is pretty compelling.

So I'm back to waiting for the exchange rate to be a bit more favourable to overcome the psychological barrier to purchase. But back to the original point, a limited save would be nice, but really demo restrictions are fair game. Though as a user, I quite like the demo restriction of Energy XT: you can save projects, you just can't load them again until you register. This is nice because you can save work while demoing, but it still provides incentive to purchase.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

what is your native currency?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
what is your native currency?
Australian dollars. I know it was unsustainable in the long run, but it was really nice for buying things online when the AUD was almost on par with the USD. Don't mind me, I'm just dithering aloud.

Had more fun playing with the demo, though, and I have a feature request, which I've posted in the appropriate place.

Last edited by blurk; 12-21-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:49 AM

Hey, I didn't mean to offend in any way... I feel your pain on the currency conversion thing... everytime I see a price listed in Euros I gotta do a currency convert and realize its a substantial more amount of US dollars...

I was merely saying that it is nice to have a music app where the dev is really listening to the users very closely... they've also been very good about teaching how to use the program... which I feel is priceless...
Old 12-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Numerologist

Default Dollars and Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurk View Post
automatic). But to some extent Numerology is actually more than I am really in the market for, which is a step sequencer (preferably as a plugin, to be honest) to integrate into Plogue Bidule. Preferably cross-platform, but hey you can't have everything. So I'm hesitating about paying for hosting features that I don't really need.
If you think about it this way, Numerology is as advanced, if not more so than the Genoqs Octopus Hardware sequencer, and gives you many more stacks (tracks) and CV options. While the Octopus has alot of pretty lights and IS hardware (sexy), it is also $3600.00.

So I guess from that perspective Numerology is a bargain in whatever currency your working with.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamburglar View Post
I was merely saying that it is nice to have a music app where the dev is really listening to the users very closely... they've also been very good about teaching how to use the program... which I feel is priceless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsinger View Post
If you think about it this way, Numerology is as advanced, if not more so than the Genoqs Octopus Hardware sequencer, and gives you many more stacks (tracks) and CV options. While the Octopus has alot of pretty lights and IS hardware (sexy), it is also $3600.00.

So I guess from that perspective Numerology is a bargain in whatever currency your working with.
Good points from both of you there. By and large I do try to support the independent / individual developers. And yeah I was doing more of a software price comparison rather than comparing to equivalent(ish) hardware. Part of the problem (for me) maybe is that the merchant (eSellerate) gouge on exchange rates. I'm probably better off buying in USD and getting my bank's exchange rates than buying in the local currency eSellerate offers at their own exchange rates. (Yep, that does mean I am pretty much decided / hooked.)
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM

Sorry to hear AUSD is fairing poorly. At the same time, though, you may never find a more favorable exchange rate with USD. Our currency is in the crapper right now.

Hope you enjoy Numerology! There's simply nothing else like it.