Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Default New User Q's: Mapping, Track Collapse, Chords...

This is my first post to this community so let me first say hello to all

And let me apologize off the bat for such a long post. These questions are not just pointed at Jim, any input is appreciated.

I have read quite few posts here and have read a portion of the docs available in the demo download for Numerology 2. I have also downloaded the version 3 demos, SE & Pro. Now, the opportunity to use Numerology weighed heavily in my decision to purchase a Mac. So far it's a lot more than I expected (that's a good thing). I see myself purchasing this app real soon (possibly today). And in the meanwhile I have some questions.

First, some quick background. I enjoy working with generative plugs when composing or just playing around. I own Thesys and Consequence (not for much longer though). I have set the apps side by side with Numerology and minus some of the pre-wrapped performance aspects and the functionality of the chord/scale presets, I have been able to mimic what I can get done with those apps inside of Numerology. I can also see the the potential of the vast number of things that I could do in Numerology that I cannot do easily, or at all, in other places. I'll also add that the addition of Evolve (and the Ternary Conditional Module) is very nice and putting the functionality that I really wanted from Evolve in the Pro version makes it the only version I am considering (good marketing decision). So with that said…

1. Is it possible to map a midi controller or the qwerty keyboard to any of the parameters inside of the sequencers? Take for instance the Chord Sequencer. Would it be possible to map the rotary controllers on my Akai LPD8 to the Inversion, Spacing or Octave parameters? And by this I mean specific parameters at a specific step in the sequence. Or maybe, the ability to attach one of the rotary controllers to the percentages in the Evolve mapping dialog?

2. I have an iMac 27, which provides a lot of screen real estate. However, I still see a lot of scrolling in my future when it comes to certain things. One of those things would be the drum sequencer. In my limited use so far I have used it to drive the Drum Kit module. I've found it's pretty impossible to keep both on the screen at the same time. This is not really an issue when the Matrix, Chord, or PolyNote sequencers are in play as I am able to drag the associated AU plugin to the side and have both areas (plug & sequencer) available at the same time. Are there any plans to allow the collapse (and expansion) of Tracks in the drums sequencer? Maybe a little plus minus in the side bar where the clear settings "X" resides? And maybe just leaving one row with a marker indicating which steps have been activated? ***Yes I know this sounds like a feature request from a non-user, but it's really a question that allows me to understand the ideas behind the modules and where those ideas are headed.***

3. Are there any plans to expand the chord selections, in the ChordSequencer, to include extended chords? I am sure I can make work arounds but quick access to 9ths, 11ths and sus type chords would be a plus for me. Now this may already exist and I just haven't found a way to do it so feel free to point in me in the right direction.

Thanks for reading this long post and for your consideration on these issues. And I'll try and keep future posts a bit shorter.

Derrick
Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 PM

Welcome to Numerology. It's a fantastic program and Jim does a great job
of furthering it's development on a regular basis. In regards to the drum
sequencer visibility issue, what I have done is create single track drum
modules (one for each of the sounds I want to trigger). I can then fold
the individual tracks to save space on the GUI. This has the added benefit
of allowing individual Evolve,Gate, Repeat etc. settings for each sound.
You can choose the number of tracks for the module on the left side of
the Drum Sequence GUI, and you *will* have to route the MIDI outs of
each module to your drum synth in addition to as setting the note numbers
to trigger each sound. I hope this makes sense to you. Feel free to ask
for further clarification if you need to. I've learned a lot by asking questions
of the many knowledgeable individuals here.
Have fun!
Cheers,
Scott
Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAge View Post
This is my first post to this community so let me first say hello to all

And let me apologize off the bat for such a long post. These questions are not just pointed at Jim, any input is appreciated.
Welcome!

Quote:
I have read quite few posts here and have read a portion of the docs available in the demo download for Numerology 2. I have also downloaded the version 3 demos, SE & Pro. Now, the opportunity to use Numerology weighed heavily in my decision to purchase a Mac. So far it's a lot more than I expected (that's a good thing). I see myself purchasing this app real soon (possibly today). And in the meanwhile I have some questions.

First, some quick background. I enjoy working with generative plugs when composing or just playing around. I own Thesys and Consequence (not for much longer though). I have set the apps side by side with Numerology and minus some of the pre-wrapped performance aspects and the functionality of the chord/scale presets, I have been able to mimic what I can get done with those apps inside of Numerology. I can also see the the potential of the vast number of things that I could do in Numerology that I cannot do easily, or at all, in other places. I'll also add that the addition of Evolve (and the Ternary Conditional Module) is very nice and putting the functionality that I really wanted from Evolve in the Pro version makes it the only version I am considering (good marketing decision). So with that said…

1. Is it possible to map a midi controller or the qwerty keyboard to any of the parameters inside of the sequencers? Take for instance the Chord Sequencer. Would it be possible to map the rotary controllers on my Akai LPD8 to the Inversion, Spacing or Octave parameters? And by this I mean specific parameters at a specific step in the sequence. Or maybe, the ability to attach one of the rotary controllers to the percentages in the Evolve mapping dialog?
Anything that generates MIDI CC's can be mapped to almost all sequencing parameters -- at each step. Just control-click (or right-click) to bring up the menu. If it says "Learn MIDI CC", you're good to go. However, the percentages in the Evolve dialog are one exception where that does not apply. A workaround there is to trigger Evolve actions via ParamMod, as in that case you can have an evolve action repeated up to 8 times -- by setting one of the Evolve params (X, Y, or Z) to a value from 1 to 8. You then just need to set the value to 0 to be able to re-trigger them later on. The easy way to set this up is: right-click on either of the X, Y, or Z evolve buttons, choose "Add Modulation", pick "Sequencer" as the source, and click "OK".

Quote:
2. I have an iMac 27, which provides a lot of screen real estate. However, I still see a lot of scrolling in my future when it comes to certain things. One of those things would be the drum sequencer. In my limited use so far I have used it to drive the Drum Kit module. I've found it's pretty impossible to keep both on the screen at the same time. This is not really an issue when the Matrix, Chord, or PolyNote sequencers are in play as I am able to drag the associated AU plugin to the side and have both areas (plug & sequencer) available at the same time. Are there any plans to allow the collapse (and expansion) of Tracks in the drums sequencer? Maybe a little plus minus in the side bar where the clear settings "X" resides? And maybe just leaving one row with a marker indicating which steps have been activated? ***Yes I know this sounds like a feature request from a non-user, but it's really a question that allows me to understand the ideas behind the modules and where those ideas are headed.***
As rexlapin mentioned, you can control the number of tracks in the DrumSeq by opening up the "advanced settings" panel (click the little button in the lower-left corner of the module). An option that may work well for you is to use 2 or more DrumSeqs with 4 tracks each, then minimize the ones you aren't editing.

Quote:
3. Are there any plans to expand the chord selections, in the ChordSequencer, to include extended chords? I am sure I can make work arounds but quick access to 9ths, 11ths and sus type chords would be a plus for me. Now this may already exist and I just haven't found a way to do it so feel free to point in me in the right direction.
Yes, definitely. The plan is to setup a full 'custom chord' feature.

Quote:
Thanks for reading this long post and for your consideration on these issues. And I'll try and keep future posts a bit shorter.

Derrick
No worries -- I'm all for long posts!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-25-2010, 12:02 AM

rexlapin, thanks for the suggestion. I didn't even consider the added flexibility of splitting the tracks up that way.

Jim, I appreciate the walk-thru and I am glad to hear that additional chords are in the pipeline somewhere.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 AM

Welcome UncleAge!

And when in doubt, elaborate.