Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum


Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 AM
sean sean is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
Default Experiencing Major Midi Sync Issues

Since downloading the latest Num build, I cannot get it to sync with Logic any more. I'm running SE in stand alone mode, and syncing to Logic's clock via an IAC bus. When I start the clock in Logic, Num wildly fluctuates all over the place at random tempos. This set up was working fine up until I downloaded the latest build, the issue also occurs on my older projects. The only change to my system recently is that I installed the Soundflower app -- I wonder whether it's interfering with my IAC device somehow (it shouldn't be since it only deals with audio and not midi, but still).

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 AM
sean sean is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Actually "fluctuates" would be an inaccurate description -- Numerology literally cycles through its entire tempo range, from 0 to maximum then back again ad infinitum.

Also, it's taken to shutting down suddenly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 AM
sean sean is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
Default

BTW my system is a 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB ram, OS X 10.5.8. Running Logic 8.

I've had a fair few problems with Numerology since buying a license in December -- not saving projects, not shutting down completely, timeline glitches -- so I'm wondering if it might not be my system that's the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,512
Default

Nothing that I can recall has changed in the sync sub-system -- mostly it is an algorithm built into OS X called Core Audio Clock. I ran a rough sync test with Logic over IAC and build 32 and didn't see anything obvious other than a very short tempo fluctuation when Logic's transport is looping.

In general, I consider Logic to be a lousy sync source -- Logic does not timestamp MIDI clock events, which means that by the time Numerology gets them, they have a huge amount of jitter. CoreAudio Clock does a great job of syncing to them, but I find it non-optimal in general.

Regardless, you shouldn't be seeing the behavior that you have. Email me (jim <at> five12 <dot> com) and I will get you a debug build so we can track it down.

As for the other issues, they need to be addressed individually. The way to start is for you to email me any and all crash logs you have. They will be located in <your home dir>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter, or on 10.6.4 or later, <your home dir>/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
vanhaze vanhaze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 72
Default

I am running also build 32.
Syncing from Logic Pro 9.1.3 to Numerology through IAC bus.
NO sync problem for me, besides the little glitch in tempo when Logic's playhead jumps when in cycle mode, as Jim mentioned also.


Just for you 2 know !


Best,

Rob.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Logos Lover Logos Lover is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
I am running also build 32.
Syncing from Logic Pro 9.1.3 to Numerology through IAC bus..
Is there a benefit of syncing through the IAC bus, as opposed to syncing with ReWire?
I tried to get my head around the IAC bus sync method, but it may as well have been written in Chinese so i just left it, and sync Numerology to Logic Pro 9 using ReWire.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-01-2011, 06:32 PM
sean sean is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think it was something on my side -- I deleted the original IAC Device and created a new one, and it's back to normal now.

As for Logic as a clock source, I agree it's pretty bad. I rather get the impression that Apple could care less about its customers who use midi extensively -- see their abandonment of SoundDiver for example. Let's hope if enough of us on these forums and elsewhere log complaints we might see some improvement in the future.

Cheers for the great software btw Jim, Numerology has improved my entire work flow ten fold.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logos Lover View Post
Is there a benefit of syncing through the IAC bus, as opposed to syncing with ReWire?
I tried to get my head around the IAC bus sync method, but it may as well have been written in Chinese so i just left it, and sync Numerology to Logic Pro 9 using ReWire.
As of the current version (3.0.2), the advantages of running Numerology sync'd via MIDI instead of ReWired are:
- More accurate note scheduling for transmitted MIDI.
- Somewhat less latency when sending MIDI to other programs.
- Slightly more convenient AU hosting, as the AU edit windows show up in Numerology instead of the host (as in ReWire mode).
- Audio Input.

The disadvantages are:
- MIDI sync requires a bit more work to setup -- but is generally easy to maintain.
- audio streaming to the host is a hassle.

I plan to add the note scheduling and latency compensation features currently in the AU to the N3 ReWire for 3.1, so that will help resolve those issues. Support for Audio Input in ReWire mode is mostly an 'on-demand' issue : if users demand it, I can add it -- adjusting as necessary for demands for other features.

With AU hosting support in the ReWire version, and with the soon-to-be-added improvements in MIDI transmission, I think it is an ideal integration option -- easy and effective sync, and the ability to run full projects with cross-stack routings and modulations. It is slightly less convenient than using a plugin -- as you have to manage separate projects, but I consider it to be a fair tradeoff.

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 AM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

I think it was something on my side -- I deleted the original IAC Device and created a new one, and it's back to normal now.

As for Logic as a clock source, I agree it's pretty bad. I rather get the impression that Apple could care less about its customers who use midi extensively -- see their abandonment of SoundDiver for example. Let's hope if enough of us on these forums and elsewhere log complaints we might see some improvement in the future.

Cheers for the great software btw Jim, Numerology has improved my entire work flow ten fold.
Interesting, thanks for the update, and glad to hear that you got the sync issue resolved. I still encourage you to contact me about any further issues -- I'm here to help!

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Logos Lover Logos Lover is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
As of the current version (3.0.2), the advantages of running Numerology sync'd via MIDI instead of ReWired are:
- More accurate note scheduling for transmitted MIDI.
- Somewhat less latency when sending MIDI to other programs.
- Slightly more convenient AU hosting, as the AU edit windows show up in Numerology instead of the host (as in ReWire mode).
- Audio Input.

Cheers,
Jim
I think i'll have to have another go at syncing Numerology and Logic via the IAC method.
However I really found it confusing, so that's why i gave up on it.

Is this the correct video to set it up?
IAC

I only use hardware synths so i'm not sure what changes i'd need to make to the example shown in the video?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.