Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum


Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 PM
mmai mmai is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Default Are more controllers supported soon?

Hi! A few days ago I found my way to Numerology and I totaly felt in loooove! Strange that I discovered it so late, because since a long time I'm searching for THE perfect step sequencer. Maybe I didn't find Numerology before, because I was looking for a hardware(!) sequencer. So I'm asking myself this hardware questions:

1. is the Launchpad the only full supportet MIDI controller (I think so)?
2. are there any specific plans to support other controllers soon? Like: Monome, APC40, iPad, and so on.
3. if yes: when?

Don't get me wrong I don't want to hustle. The point is that I wanted to buy some hardware sequencer soon, cause I don't like mouse-sequencing. Numerology could be the the best choice & I'm really close to buy N3 - but only if I really will need it. Yes I could buy a Launchpad, but seeing only 8 steps per time is not my thing (neither have only 32 steps to edit when scrolling).

I'm dreaming about using my Monome128 with Numerology (or think about a 256)!! To have 16 steps per row is a round thing. Am I totaly dreaming, or could it become reality? An iPad could be also very powerful, but for me it doesn't have the same haptik like a Monome (it something between soft- and hardware)!

If there are some hardware plans for the very close future, please let me know...

Anyways you did a really nice job! Hope to join N3 (with a good controller) soon...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2010, 10:56 AM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,491
Default

The Launchpad is the recommended controller for now. I am considering more options, including support for multiple launchpads, other grid controllers, knobby controllers, iPad, etc, but haven't made a decision yet. Given that it took me about a month to the the Launchpad mapping working well, I have to choose carefully what controller to support next.

Of course, MIDI learn and OSC learn remain very useful options for integrating almost anything...

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
mmai mmai is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Many thanks for your answer, Jim. If I understood you right there is no support for other controllers in the next 1-2 months, but the plan is to do it in the future, right? I can imagine that the Launchpad mappings need a lot of time - and I think your work was very worth while!

Anyways Numerology doesn't go out of my mind! And to be able to see only 8 steps per time on the Launchpad I could compensate, because of the scrolling feature. But that I'm only be able to edit 32 steps total (I understand this decision to have a better overview), makes me to hesitate. So can you answer me an important question?:

Is there a work around to be able to edit more than 32 steps (64 would be OK)?? Maybe with a second sequencer which has a delay and will start when the first 32 steps ends? Or that I could create 2 presets of a sequence and automate it?? Some hints like this would be very helpful for my decision. Thanks!


Some ideas for Launchpad vs. Monome:
I have read that the Launchpad was for you very attractive because of the different colours a pad is giving - I totally confirm! But: besides my Monome I own a APC40 (3 colours aswell), too. And I have to say that the Monome gives me in all situations a better overview than the APC40. Why?? I expirienced that this is a matter of programing it... the option to use different states (different speeds) of blinking lights is very powerful aswell!! If you're looking to Monome apps like Molar, Pages, Livecontrol, etc. - you maybe know what I mean.
-- Just some thoughts by myself.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 AM
dropthedyle dropthedyle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Belgium
Posts: 17
Smile

i'm voting for Livid Instruments Ohm64 support
maybe a poll could orientate your choice Jim ??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmai View Post
Many thanks for your answer, Jim. If I understood you right there is no support for other controllers in the next 1-2 months, but the plan is to do it in the future, right? I can imagine that the Launchpad mappings need a lot of time - and I think your work was very worth while!
Yes, definitely -- controller support is very important, I just have to be careful what I promise....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmai View Post
Anyways Numerology doesn't go out of my mind! And to be able to see only 8 steps per time on the Launchpad I could compensate, because of the scrolling feature. But that I'm only be able to edit 32 steps total (I understand this decision to have a better overview), makes me to hesitate. So can you answer me an important question?:

Is there a work around to be able to edit more than 32 steps (64 would be OK)?? Maybe with a second sequencer which has a delay and will start when the first 32 steps ends? Or that I could create 2 presets of a sequence and automate it?? Some hints like this would be very helpful for my decision. Thanks!
Yes, you can use 2 sequencers in conjunction with a switch. For example, you can use a pair of MonoNote (or any Note Sequencer) with a MIDI Switch programmed to switch over every 32 steps (however many beats that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmai View Post
Some ideas for Launchpad vs. Monome:
I have read that the Launchpad was for you very attractive because of the different colours a pad is giving - I totally confirm! But: besides my Monome I own a APC40 (3 colours aswell), too. And I have to say that the Monome gives me in all situations a better overview than the APC40. Why?? I expirienced that this is a matter of programing it... the option to use different states (different speeds) of blinking lights is very powerful aswell!! If you're looking to Monome apps like Molar, Pages, Livecontrol, etc. - you maybe know what I mean.
-- Just some thoughts by myself.
Yes, having different button states definitely helps...

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
thelizard thelizard is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Default

One option is the way that Renoise took care of this:

http://tools.renoise.com/tools/duplex

They added support for user-written Lua scripts to add MIDI and OSC controller templates.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-04-2010, 10:03 AM
mmai mmai is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
... I just have to be careful what I promise...
Ok! I appreciate that you don't want to promise things which are not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
For example, you can use a pair of MonoNote (or any Note Sequencer) with a MIDI Switch programmed to switch over every 32 steps (however many beats that is).
I've tried it out with "MIDI Switch" but no luck. For me in the moment it works with a CV Sequencer which controls the "Global Mute" of the NoteSequencer. I don't know if maybe your suggestion with the MIDI Switch is more comfortable and more intuitive? If yes: could you shortly explain how to set and do the connection?

thelizard:
Thanks for the link - but to be honestly I didn't figure it out for what Renoise/Duplex is (but I didn't look to the manual)! Is it an other step sequencer which I could assign to any controller, or maybe not? Anyways it looks interessting and I should read more about it...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Ray Ray is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
Default

If it took you 1 month to program the Launchpad (Great work).. Maybe we need to stop kidding ourselves about extending other controller support and settle down on the IPad. I think an iOS app would be more productive and put an end to the PC/Mac issue. The iOS 4.2 looks promising for this great program.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGIIt_t6KMY
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 AM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropthedyle View Post
i'm voting for Livid Instruments Ohm64 support
maybe a poll could orientate your choice Jim ??
I actually have a Livid Block in my studio waiting for some attention.... A poll would be useful, but I'd rather wait until after 3.0 is out before thinking about it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmai View Post
I've tried it out with "MIDI Switch" but no luck. For me in the moment it works with a CV Sequencer which controls the "Global Mute" of the NoteSequencer. I don't know if maybe your suggestion with the MIDI Switch is more comfortable and more intuitive? If yes: could you shortly explain how to set and do the connection?
I've attached an example. The trick is to get the routing right, so jump over to the routing panel to see how it is setup. In this case the sequences are only 1 bar long, so the the switch is set to move every 4 beats.

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Files
File Type: zip switchtest.nmp.zip (19.1 KB, 5 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.