Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 08-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifaka View Post
Hi,
I think I asked about this when we had a email conversation a while ago, but I'd like to request this again.
I'd really like to see a play mode option for the presets, just like Geist has.
It has a restart mode, which is currently the only option that Numerology has.
But I'd also like to see an option where the preset enters at the point in the sequence where it currently is. I'd call it continuous mode.
This in Geist is the default setting.
Say preset 1 and preset 2 are 2 bars long, preset 1 plays, and when it's at say the second bar or beat you press preset 2, it starts where it left preset 1.
So basicly, in this mode -wether the presets are 1,2 or half bar or maybe even 3 beats long- they continuously loop, and start where they are in their individual loop.
It's a bit hard to explain, but if you have Geist you can check the play modes to see what I mean.
The third mode is a gate mode ( which explains itself I think, but can only be used with note midi assign offcourse )which can be used with restart or continuous mode.

Hope that's clear enough.
In the email conversation we had, I had a hard time explaining this, but in the end you agreed this could be usefull.

I hope you implement this in a future update.
It's an interesting idea -- I'm not sold on it yet, but will give it some consideration....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-12-2012, 02:29 AM

Old 08-12-2012, 11:21 PM

That idea seems to be borrowed or "inspired" by the MPC. I think the MPC name "track mutes" illustrates why it is such a useful option somewhat more clearly. What the MPC also does is record the automation of muting and un-muting tracks which is a really nice organic way to piece together a song. This is why I often record Numerology's MIDI or audio into the MPC.

Sifaka, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, you can duplicate stacks and use actual mutes to get this functionality, but from an organizational standpoint it's less than ideal, and the list of features to make working this way super smooth is pretty long! On the other hand, I have messed with it a bit and you can do some very,very cool things, but it loses the original appeal of jamming something out spur of the moment style.

If we do get this feature, I'd like to see the control of it available in real time as well as a few additional quantization options. That way we could chose were to "punch in" on the preset. Using stack preset switching to record into the timeline is the kind of update it needs......Unfortunately, I'm the reason features like these are hard to implement, because as soon as you talk about adding one thing jerks like me start expanding on it! Sorry!

here's a random video showing MPC track mutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TwRhohpVoE
Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 AM

To me its important that its 'playable'.
Setting up different presets on midi notes, and jam between the different presets which have different variations of patterns, including rolls and stuff, with always the opportunity to get back to the original.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:56 PM

I've made a very simple patch to kind of simulate the 'Preset Gating'.
You can use the ModWheel to change between patterns ABC.
With the right patterns, and especially with chords, feeding Matrix Arpeggiators. Switching between patterns/presets sounds so much more smooth then when the presets start at the beginning each time IMO.....

Hmmmm....this is where I wanted to upload a patch...but it seems I can't
Old 04-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Try it now...

Jim
Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahs View Post
That idea seems to be borrowed or "inspired" by the MPC. I think the MPC name "track mutes" illustrates why it is such a useful option somewhat more clearly. What the MPC also does is record the automation of muting and un-muting tracks which is a really nice organic way to piece together a song. This is why I often record Numerology's MIDI or audio into the MPC.

Sifaka, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, you can duplicate stacks and use actual mutes to get this functionality, but from an organizational standpoint it's less than ideal, and the list of features to make working this way super smooth is pretty long! On the other hand, I have messed with it a bit and you can do some very,very cool things, but it loses the original appeal of jamming something out spur of the moment style.

If we do get this feature, I'd like to see the control of it available in real time as well as a few additional quantization options. That way we could chose were to "punch in" on the preset. Using stack preset switching to record into the timeline is the kind of update it needs......Unfortunately, I'm the reason features like these are hard to implement, because as soon as you talk about adding one thing jerks like me start expanding on it! Sorry!

here's a random video showing MPC track mutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TwRhohpVoE

Real-time Automation in N4 would allow you to recored mutes for the DrumSeq, and loop them ... but it wouldn't work for stack presets -- the automation data is stored per-preset..

However, recording preset changes into the timeline would be very worthwhile...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
To me its important that its 'playable'.
Setting up different presets on midi notes, and jam between the different presets which have different variations of patterns, including rolls and stuff, with always the opportunity to get back to the original.
Here it is.... I hope you have Diva, as I used that when I made it.

Hmmmm... there seems to be something wrong with the patch.
Just before uploading I wanted to check if I got the right file, and it wouldn't open...maybe you can save it ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Preset Gating ?!?.zip (22.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi,
I think I asked about this when we had a email conversation a while ago, but I'd like to request this again.
I'd really like to see a play mode option for the presets, just like Geist has.
It has a restart mode, which is currently the only option that Numerology has.
But I'd also like to see an option where the preset enters at the point in the sequence where it currently is. I'd call it continuous mode.
This in Geist is the default setting.
Say preset 1 and preset 2 are 2 bars long, preset 1 plays, and when it's at say the second bar or beat you press preset 2, it starts where it left preset 1.
So basicly, in this mode -wether the presets are 1,2 or half bar or maybe even 3 beats long- they continuously loop, and start where they are in their individual loop.
It's a bit hard to explain, but if you have Geist you can check the play modes to see what I mean.
The third mode is a gate mode ( which explains itself I think, but can only be used with note midi assign offcourse )which can be used with restart or continuous mode.

Hope that's clear enough.
In the email conversation we had, I had a hard time explaining this, but in the end you agreed this could be usefull.

I hope you implement this in a future update.
+1 for this.
not just for live applications, if you will ever control preset changes with another stack this is a must.
hope is not too much work.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequencemapper View Post
+1 for this.
not just for live applications, if you will ever control preset changes with another stack this is a must.
hope is not too much work.
Ping me again after N4 goes public in beta form -- that feature isn't terribly hard, but there are many thing in line ahead of it...

Jim