Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM

Default (Play and release) endless loops?

Hi,

While we are all anxiously waiting for N4 now, I cannot help throwing one more idea in the air. Maybe this is possible right now and I am missing something here...?

Anyway, in the preset playlist mode I'd like to have sometimes endless loops. Now we need to give an exact number how many times these loops are played. Endless loop would play as long as I want on live-like situation where I want to have this kind of freedom (for example improvised synth solo). To be really useful, we would need also a way to release this loop. Maybe you could hit a key or a midinote which would make it pass this loop at its end and go to next section of the tune. And this release-cue could be given at any position of the loop.

This simple feature is in fact biggest thing which I really miss with Numerology. With Elektron hardware you can have this kind of endless loops which make them great for live playing. IMO these endless loops would also give you kind of longer patterns which are now impossible to make. If we follow more with Elektron line here, it would be also great to have "jumps" to some point of arrangements. These jumps make Elektron seqs so powerful: you can have for example loops inside loops...

What do you think?

Last edited by PLaine; 10-02-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:23 PM

Hi guys,

I highly second this excellent idea. Good thinking!
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Numerologist

Hello,

just wanted to know, wether you talk about audioloops, midiloops or sequencerloops from stacks?

best
jue
Old 10-02-2013, 05:31 PM

Hi Jue,

I am talking about loops which chain presets in arrangement mode. Now you make them with these small arrows with small numbers.

Pekka
Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 PM

definitely, +1
Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator

I've already added an infinite loop option to the playlist, just trying to sort out where the 'exit loop' control goes. Probably it will be something like this:

- Whenever a playlist is in any type of loop, an 'exit loop' btn would appear. Pushing it would set a flag such that the playlist exits the loop after it's last preset.

- In the "Transport Remote", you could specify a range of MIDI CCs or Notes to trigger the same action.

- In the grid mapping (i.e. lpad, push, ohm rbg), there would be an extra cmd to trigger the exit loop action...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-06-2014, 06:46 AM

Hi Jim and others too,

I know I've mentioned this somewhere before but here it is again:

In playlist mode (in arrangement of presets):
What I miss with N4 is that you cannot loop just one preset.. To make a loop you need at least two - one marking start and other marking the end.

Ok, you can make a trick here: make "a silent preset" which you just pass thru (marked with "-") and loop only other preset. This works but makes your arrangement look like mess and certainly isn't very practical.

So IMO we would need one more option for those small arrows: some special symbol to mark looping just one preset.

What do you think?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but when a Preset has the straight down pointing arrow - ↓ - within playlist mode then it'll repeat just itself the specified number of times (the number below the arrow) before advancing onto the next preset.

Does that fulfil what you're asking for?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Administrator

What PLaine is asking for is the ability to have a single preset within a playlist repeat indefinitely. It can be done, just by having a sort of 'loop on oneself' type of loop setting. However, that item isn't high on the todo list just yet -- so keep pinging me on it...

Jim
Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 PM

Yeah that's the idea: make infinite (endless) loop on just one preset.

Little story from my musical life: this new N4 feature, infinite loops & exit button, was in fact the last nail in coffin for my Elektron Monomachine. I sold it away two days ago. Why? Simply because these new features made Numerology so much more powerful seq in live playing. Elektron has a good reputation especially for great live stage MIDI-sequencing. It tells you a lot if I had no use for it anymore because of N4.

What I mostly do is to take few backing sequencer tracks for my band and also click track for drummer and MIDI sync for all my synths. I can compose a pattern or longer structure and play it as long as I like and then go to next one. That's where I need endless loops. What makes it perfect is the fact we can affect the structure on the fly. This is so much greater way than using recorded backing tracks etc. Of course with MIDI synth tracks I can of course also control all those synth parameters. In one word: this way of sequencing is so much LIVE.

But back to topic: if we think about loops in electronic music or close to that style, so many repeating patterns are quite short. At least they are most often so short that you can make them with one single preset (which can in fact make quite long loops). That's why I feel it should be possible to infinitely loop just one preset. Where you need infinite loops is on stage, right? Who will make a recorded song with these? I think he'll predifine how many times this or that pattern will play. Of course if it's more improvised recording then it's similar situation like I described....

I can easily think few other improvements for live stage usage but let's keep them out of this thread...

Last edited by PLaine; 02-06-2014 at 04:10 PM.