Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-08-2016, 04:59 AM

Default Want to use Numerology with my Eurorack modular

Hi guys

Numerology has been on my radar for ages and these past few days I've finally found time to try the demo - it is super! Still finding my way around but it's a great concept. I have no trouble getting things going with my AU instruments and FX but I am wondering if this can drive my modular as well.

I have the Expert Sleepers ES8 and ES3 in my modular system. I was really hoping when I saw all the CV modules that Numerology would be ready to go with external CV gear, but it seems it's not quite as I imagined. A quick test with an LFO out to a Mix CV on my Moog Mother 32 shows that the range is greater than +/-5v. I have to bring the level down to about 0.4 to get the range to match the mix CV on the external module. Not a massive problem but a bit tedious if I have to keep doing this.

Another test I did was with IntervalSeq patched to v/oct on the mother 32. This was really weird! It seemed that the range output from numerology was way outside anything recognised by the moog. I had better luck using the ModulationSeq - pitch changes were audible and within a reasonable range, but of course - no quantisation (still, it was quite fun using stepped mode for microtonal stuff!).

What I'm wondering now is - how do I calibrate the "CV" signals generated by Numerology into Eurorack standard ranges? Is this where the Silent Way plugins come in to play? Could someone give me a real life example of how I might use those to achieve quantised pitch from the IntervalSeq or ModulationSeq for example?

Perhaps there is another way to do this that I've missed...
Old 12-08-2016, 05:09 AM
Numerologist

Hello,
just try the Scale and Offset module at the end of your chain to calibrate the CV.
If you need to see the values in front and after this module just use two binary op modules were the second value is 1 and the operator is multiplication there you could see whats going in and out. At the Scale and Offset module the first value is multiplicated with the CV signal while the second is added.
hope this helps
jue
Old 12-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Administrator

As Jue mentions, the Scale&Offset module is the easiest way to match up values for general-purpose CVs. In addition to keeping output values within +/- 5V, you can further fine tune the CV range and offset for the target module -- thus saving you an attenuator in hardware-land.

So that leads to a general pattern for CV out:
- Scale&Offset -> CV2Audio module -> AudioOut module

For Pitch CVs, you will get the most accurate results with SilentWay -- it's calibration procedure includes the output of the target oscillator so it accounts for any pitch variations there as well. There's a detailed setup video for Numerology & SilentWay here: https://vimeo.com/9868698

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-08-2016, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Also, this is a very handy reference to voltage ranges across various modules / devices:

http://learningmodular.com/matching-...-your-modular/

Jim
Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 AM

Thanks so much for the help guys. I have Reaktor 6 Blocks and I had great success using that inside Numerology yesterday. The routing actually makes a lot more sense when you see it inside Numerology than inside Live. Being able to see the wires helps with retaining a clearer overview of what's going on.

I'm liking how esoteric Numerology feels... I'm not always sure exactly what's going on and I love it I will be buying a license later today
Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 AM
Numerologist

Wuh wrote:
I will be buying a license later today

welcome to the family!
jue
Old 01-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuh View Post
Thanks so much for the help guys. I have Reaktor 6 Blocks and I had great success using that inside Numerology yesterday. The routing actually makes a lot more sense when you see it inside Numerology than inside Live. Being able to see the wires helps with retaining a clearer overview of what's going on.

I'm liking how esoteric Numerology feels... I'm not always sure exactly what's going on and I love it I will be buying a license later today

Curious, do you have a screenshot of how you connected Numerology inside reaktor? I am curious to how you did this, and if it looks right, I will be purchasing it!
Old 01-25-2017, 08:36 AM

Any more info with use with euro would be great

Tags
eurorack, external, modular