Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 03-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Default Numerology 2.1b3

Lots o new goodies here (Keyboard module, Sequence 'step-trigger' mode, sequencer recording, transport locate, sequence groove timing), so be sure to read the release notes to get the full effect. There are still tweaks to make and bugs to fix, but I wanted to get this out to get some feedback on the new stuff...

http://www.five12.com/Numerology-2.1b3.dmg

Numerology 2.1b3 Release Notes:

Keyboard Module:

This new module (in the MIDI Gen module group) acts as a virtual MIDI keyboard. It has three working modes:
- Mono : play a note on mouse down, release it on mouse up.
- Mono+Hold : play a note on mouse down, hold it until another note chosen.
- Poly : play and hold all notes until cleared.

- You can set the MIDI channel, generated velocity and the base octave for the keyboard.
- A very handy trick is to set the keyboard to poly mode, and program different chords for each stack preset, then assign computer keys to the presets, so you can play a chord sequence from the keyboard. To handle muting, setup one more preset with no notes assigned.
- There's no MIDI input on the Keyboard yet, I'll be adding that soon...

Sequencer "Run Mode" Re-Org:

Each sequencer has a set of "run mode" settings (that used to be) hidden in the advanced settings panel. These settings have been moved to a dialog box that you can now open via an "Edit" button next to the mini-transport for each sequencer -- the little round button labeled "E". This makes these settings much easier to get to, as the are now accessed via a button next to the things they modify (the sequencer's transport activity). In addition, two status labels will appear below the mini-transport when appropriate. One of these is for the "playback mode" (formerly known as "run mode") of the sequence. The other is for the recording mode of the sequence.

NoteSequencer Recording:

The MonoNote, PolyNote and DrumSeq now all support pattern entry via MIDI notes. The MonoNote & PolyNote both support step entry and realtime recording (via the RecMode menu in the advanced settings panel), while the DrumSeq is best suited to realtime recording. There is a 'rec' button to enable/disable recording on the mini-transport for each module. I don't have any doc on this feature yet, but it is pretty easy to setup:
- Add one of the NoteSeqs to a stack
- Make sure the stack has a MIDI input of some sort
- Click the 'rec' button on the sequence
- If you need to switch modes, click the 'e' button to edit the record mode.
- Hit play, and go for it.

DrumSeq:

There are now individual 'clear' buttons for each track in the Drum Sequencer. They are to the right of each track and are labeled with an 'x'. This is very handy for clearing out DrumSeq tracks while recording.

Step Trigger Mode:

All sequencers now support a trigger mode called "CV Trig : Step". This allows you to move through a sequence step by step from some trigger source, such as the output of a GateSeq. This is a pretty advanced feature, so if you don't know what it is, wait until I have a demo ready...

NoteSequencer Groove Timing:

There is now a "groove" timing row for each note sequencer. This allows you to push or pull the timing for each step in a sequence. To have the step occur a bit early, set a value > 0. To have the step be a bit late, set a value < 0. The push/pull range is +/- 30% of the step length. There is one limitation: the first step played when the sequencer starts will always be directly 'on time'.

Preset Changes:

There is a new preference for each stack in the Stack Detail dialog called "Reset on Preset Change". You can double-click on the stack tab to see it, or use "Edit Stack Details" in the Stack menu. This preference is on by default for all new stacks and when on, will reset all sequencers to their "start step" when a preset is changed. This is an important detail to achieve accurate behavior in the timeline.

Timeline:

Several important changes that greatly improve the usability of the Timeline. Previously, when there was no 'preset block' on a track that was timeline enabled, the entire stack was muted. This caused problems with note decay and effects (delay, reverb). The new behavior
is to only mute individual modules, and only those modules whose primary output is MIDI, which includes all the NoteSequencers, and all the MIDI Gen modules. In addition, the timing of 'timeline mute' events has been improved. And, as mentioned above, the "Reset on Preset Change" preference greatly helps to make accurate preset changes. Several more workflow improvements and fixes are on the way...

Transport Loop:

Settings for this are currently on the Timeline panel. I'll move them up to the transport for the next release. It's pretty self-explanitory: set the start bar and end bar, then use the 'power' button to turn it on and off. Note that you can use "command-L" to do a direct locate.

CV In / CV Out

I've dropped the number of ports on these to 2 each, to better match up with ParamMod modules, and the number of CV busses.

Routing Panel

There are now buttons for disabling drawing of any of the four cable types (clock, audio, cv, midi)

Misc Fixes & Updates

- Fixed a bug that could cause problems when deleting stacks with AU modules.

- Fixed a bug that could cause CPU issues with the MIDI Switch.

- The row of sliders for "timing" in all NoteSequencers has been tweaked to make it possible to manualy set them to their halfway value (usually 0.5).

- Fixed a stuck note bug that could occur when changing presets

- Fixed a bug that could case UI layout problems with the rack when adding new stacks on PPC macs running 10.4.11.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 AM

Default new beta update

Hey Jimbo
Just downloaded the new beta . Just had a quick rip on it before I had to go to work . All seems to be working fine . Just one suggestion would it be possible to have individual mutes for each track in the drum sequencer I know I could just use single track drum sequencers but just thought it;d be handy particularly for live performance if you just wanted to say mute the kick drum and then bring the beat back as the kids say these days . Once again Jim a stellar effort on your half has made N2 even better . As they say over this side of the world its time for you to stand back light your pipe and admire your handy work
Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Numerologist

Default individual mutes for each track in the drum sequencer

Hello,

you are looking for individual mutes for each track in the drum sequencer?
Are the mute buttons below the Track name ( Track 1, Track 2.... ) on the left side not working for you?

Track 1 <-- Track name
A 1 <-- Track note
Mute <-- Track Mute ???????????

Checked this and it worked here.

best
jue
Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 AM

the record to sequencer feature is awesome jim, as well as everything else. i really dig this beta.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM

for some reason i'm not so glad as i supposed to be...i was waiting for midi programming feature so much, but when i tried it...it is not feels comfortable or intuitive, it is almost the same as input notes manually, of course you will have all midi numbers and even velocities in sequencer, but no length and no pauses, and if u want to edit one particular step you need to go through all previous, if you have put note into wrong place(in live recording mode it is very easy to do) it is not possible to just move it to desired place...i'm spending more time fighting with interface then creating music for now...numerology very good for tweaking and modulating parameters, randomizing, generating stuff...but it still lacks very simple and very important thing for now in my opinion- easy and fast way to write down your musical idea...i wish i can start with simple recording of my sequence like i can in Live, just press record, play, press stop, quantize notes or move them manually, adjust their lengths and velocities and then...start to really develop it into composition!

For now if i want to move melody i hear in my head into sequencer and hear it just the same way from there, i need to really put a lot of afford, even with new feature...

It's amazing, how in the field where there are so many people working every day creating some nice stuff there is still no single powerful but intuitive tool...
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Cheers Jue dunno how I missd that one !!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomute View Post
for some reason i'm not so glad as i supposed to be...i was waiting for midi programming feature so much, but when i tried it...it is not feels comfortable or intuitive, it is almost the same as input notes manually, of course you will have all midi numbers and even velocities in sequencer, but no length and no pauses, and if u want to edit one particular step you need to go through all previous, if you have put note into wrong place(in live recording mode it is very easy to do) it is not possible to just move it to desired place...
What you're really looking for is a MIDI piano roll -- there is nothing else that will operate the way you describe. There's a very good chance that I'll add such a module to Numerology, but it will be a while before that happens. The note sequencers in Numerology are very much step sequencers, which is a very different way of working. Note that I did not use the term "midi recording" when describing the new record features, that's because there is no MIDI recorded -- it is used to set sequencer steps, which record their values very differently. There are a few tweaks I'd like to make to the current recording feature, such as being able to sustain notes across steps in the PolyNote, but it will never work exactly like a piano roll.

Best,
Jim
Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Numerologist

Default playing NoteSequencer realtime recording

Hello,

today I had a lot of fun to play along a running MonoNote with realtime recording, for me its playing NoteSequencer realtime recording.
You could try so mutch for me new things with it.
Its a completely new sequencer experience how your sequence changes while you play and everything is floating around.
Just a few new notes here and there at certain times make it absolutely wonderful for me.

And for shure its mutch more than just putting in notes via MIDI.

Thank You Jim for this new tool.

best
jue
Old 03-25-2009, 04:52 PM

......... Awesome !

Thank you, Jim !
Old 03-26-2009, 05:29 AM

how about the MIDI keyboard module to change note on velocity according to where you press the key (like we have that in virtual instruments - preferably with user selectable polarity) ...

best