Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 PM

Default Can key & channel pressure also be added please?

(Since this seems related to the subject of this thread, I'll post here instead of making a new thread / FR; but of course feel free to mod and move it to a new thread if that is deemed more appropriate)

The Access Virus series (of which I have a TI2) gives the user a choice between using SysEx or polyphonic key pressure ('aftertouch') for a large subset of its parameters (so-called "page B" parameters in Virus terminology). Since key pressure takes less bandwidth than SysEx messages, I would prefer to use that instead when both options would be available. It seems easier to implement than SysEx as well. It also has some other use cases, of course. If I am not overlooking something in N2 that already allows me to send key pressure, I would like to kindly request such a feature (with a much lower priority than SysEx).

Similarly, I haven't found a way to send out channel pressure from N2, but would very much like to be able to do so. Since this is much more widely supported/used than key pressure, and not a substitute for SysEx, I kindly request this with a slightly higher priority than key pressure. I tend to use channel pressure quite a lot, e.g. to modulate the filter cutoff of synths, not only because it adds to playability, but also because of similar MIDI bandwidth concerns (as it takes one byte less per value sent).

(NB: confusingly, both key pressure and channel pressure are sometimes referred to as 'aftertouch', but here I'll stick to the terminology N2 is already using in the MIDI Filter module: "CH PRESS" and "A. TOUCH")
Old 09-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Administrator

You can generate channel pressure messages in the NoteSequencers (see the "velocity" row of sliders), but there is no way to do proper per-key aftertouch yet. Both options should have dedicated modules, I will put that on the list.

Jim
Old 12-22-2009, 01:14 PM

Just +1ing this.

I too have the old Roland stuff. It was easy enough to create mappings for both the MKS-80 and Alpha Juno in my novation SL. I think that all that is needed is a way to describe the output string, then a few variables that can be mapped to other values from generators in N2. For example, for the Roland gear at least, channel, param and value. The values will need quantizing to ranges accepted by the parameter, but I don't think there is any need for instrument specific implementations. Those could easily be shared as patches from the community.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 AM

Default AU-300 (virtual PG-300) for Juno

Any other Alpha Juno / MKS-50 owners/users out there: I just noticed this new virtual PG-300, and it works great, better than most if not all of the other solutions I have previously used: tOSC AU-300. It also looks pretty much like the real thing.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
You should all send me links to or pdf copies of the sysex doc for each device you're interested in, so I can get an idea of what is involved. Each manufacturer tends to implement the internals slightly differently, so sticking a numeric value in to an otherwise fixed MIDI string is often not as simple as converting to a 2-byte value...

Cheers,
Jim
Well I'de like to have sysex support too.
Here is a way I think you should do:

Sysex should be enter by the user itself
The user should be able to say where the value change (bytes numbers)
- At least two bytes to support MSB/LSB
- If the user put a value of zero no value is taken into account and only the sysex enter will be send to the unit.
The user should be able to say what is the minimum and maximum value.

For example:

To change the Filter A Frequency on my korg M3 the sysex is:
F04230754103002A00000000000000F7 where the bytes 15 (just before F7) is the value and the value is 0/127 (min/max)

I believe this is a good starting point.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Administrator

That is the basic plan. I'll give it a bump....

Cheers,
Jim