Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > Feature Requests

Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleskus View Post
Correct pitch when loading samples with a different sample rate than the audio interface is running at.
Well that's just a plain-ole bug! (will fix...)

Ltr,
Jim
Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger288 View Post
I think, for me, the most important thing for working with a drum sampler is how easy it is to scroll though samples and audition and then quickly load them if I feel they sound good with the track. I have a giant library of drum sounds and like to flip through it and find the perfect sample for a track, without too much interrupting my flow while i'm producing. Next most important is the sequencing part, which numerology already has covered .

I'd like to be able to set favorite folders, be able to scroll through the samples with the keyboard so I can just hear them quickly one by one, and have some easy keyboard/drag and drop way of loading the sounds into the sampler. Also, I think it would be nice to set the audio output that the preview sounds are played on as well, independently from a stack or other audio settings, and be able to set the volume of the sample preview output.
What I'm thinking is some sort of file browser in the same area as the module browser, with the ability to 'focus' a part in the DrumKit (or sampler for that matter), so you can cursor through the files in the browser and have them load real-time.

I hadn't thought of having a separate audio out for sample preview, but that's a good idea. There's already the 'alt' mix bus, so that could be used for it...

Quote:
For drums, I think traditional style sample interpolation is fine for pitch/time shifting, and prefer it, anyway.
That's the way it works now, and I don't expect it to change. The pitch/time algorithm will be in another module.

Quote:
Humanize features would be nice... randomization of pitch, volume, pan, etc. I suppose that could also be controlled from the sequencer, but since the drumseq module doesn't have all those controls (and doesn't really need them...)
Hmmm, a perlin-based humanize module, hmmmm.....

Jim
Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
What I'm thinking is some sort of file browser in the same area as the module browser, with the ability to 'focus' a part in the DrumKit (or sampler for that matter), so you can cursor through the files in the browser and have them load real-time.
SonicCharge's MicroTonic is an excellent example of how to do this in a pleasant and useful way, imho (I must admit I'm not much of a preset browsing type though ). It is even able to play entire drum kits with the current pattern and host BPM from the preview browsing window.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:11 PM

this might be getting into "feature-itis" territory, but if there was some sort of GUI switch that opened up advanced options for the drum modules a couple things would be nice. I especially think simple parametric EQ and saturation/distortion are very helpful for drumsounds, and can make all the difference to getting them to work in a track .
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
this might be getting into "feature-itis" territory, but if there was some sort of GUI switch that opened up advanced options for the drum modules a couple things would be nice. I especially think simple parametric EQ and saturation/distortion are very helpful for drumsounds, and can make all the difference to getting them to work in a track .
I may add a low-pass filter, but I'm not sure yet about anything beyond that. It can get to be a bit too much. Also, you can per-part processing and FX now via the individual outputs.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
SonicCharge's MicroTonic is an excellent example of how to do this in a pleasant and useful way, imho (I must admit I'm not much of a preset browsing type though ). It is even able to play entire drum kits with the current pattern and host BPM from the preview browsing window.
Groovy, I'll check it out.

Jim
Old 03-14-2010, 10:17 AM

Hey Jim -

These have already been covered in the thready but figured more polyphony on the feature request front couldn't hurt....

On my list of 'love to haves' on the drum module are:

#1 - Filter
#2 - Sample preview in browser

A nice to have, or alternate idea:

One of the things that makes things super easy in some other programs is the tight integration with the finder. Drag-and-drop from the Finder to the DrumKit module would be amazing.

If anything else comes up in my explorations I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:55 AM

One more thing...

In the sound load window, it doesn't show any sounds that don't have their extensions set. A lot of my sounds don't have .AIF, .WAV or .SD2 added to them, do having the module be able to load up these sound without having their extension set would be really helpful as well.

thanks!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvaleo View Post
One of the things that makes things super easy in some other programs is the tight integration with the finder. Drag-and-drop from the Finder to the DrumKit module would be amazing.
Drag-n-drop for .AIFF and .WAV works now (drag into the waveform window) both for the DrumKit and the AudioSample. I'll tweak the code to add .mp3 and .m4a...

Jim
Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvaleo View Post
One more thing...

In the sound load window, it doesn't show any sounds that don't have their extensions set. A lot of my sounds don't have .AIF, .WAV or .SD2 added to them, do having the module be able to load up these sound without having their extension set would be really helpful as well.

thanks!
This one I'm a bit uncomfortable with. Apple's guidelines are pretty clear that the type of the file now resides with the extension, not with any internal file-type flags. I'm not saying I agree with that position, but I do understand why they chose it (compatibility w/ Linux and Windows files and filesystems). I'll make a note to look into it, but I would only do it if the file-reading code can reliably detect valid audio files w/o using the extension.

Jim