Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deva View Post
With the default matrix arpeggiator, just play some chords... most of the time it fails to play correctly...many notes are dropped out... adding new notes to a held sequence messes it up by starting all over or other mistakes. As for troubleshooting it... it fails so frequently and in so many ways. It is not like it works 90% of the time and I can file a bug report about some specific instances when it does not. It just does not work. It is beyond buggy.
Well I think that is slightly overstated... While I definitely agree there are some bugs, I think we should be able to pinpoint much more specifically where it fails (for example, look at the screencap below: all chords were played as entered, no dropped notes, adding/removing notes to/from held chords works fine).

Quote:
The Zebra arp will play the held notes using the velocity you played them with. For some arp presets I set a low velocity to make no sound so I can 'play' empty notes in the arp.
I think the MatrixArpeggiator in Numerology is designed to do so as well, at some point - but for some reason does not properly work just yet. For example, there seems to be an internal parameter for recording velocity that has no effect yet.

Also, there are ways to make something similar (and more original) by patching together a bunch of modules. See for example the attached project, where I use channel pressure to record velocities, and pitch bend to record gate - a pretty neat basic arpeggiator setup imho; screencap (11MB)

Quote:
regarding the sustain pedal... any arp in my various synths reacts to the sustain pedal... you play a big chord... and use the sustain pedal to hold it while you get ready with the next chord. Without responding to the sustain pedal much of the usefulness of an arp is lost.
Well, I guess you just have to use another module to use a sustain/hold feature for now. It seems to work fine by inserting a MIDI Keyboard module and using its hold button; I haven't been able to try if it also works when you MIDI Learn that button from a sustain pedal, since I don't own one (and have been getting on quite ok without, even when using arpeggiators - although I should say that I typically don't like playing 'big' chords). But I suggest you try it?

Also, have you already asked u-he for MIDI output in Zebra? That would be pretty neat as well...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Zebrarpeggiating.zip (51.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd View Post
Also, have you already asked u-he for MIDI output in Zebra? That would be pretty neat as well...
I recall Urs posting on KVR that the Zebra arp is triggered at a lower voice-processing level within the plugin, not at the MIDI processing level. So while we may think (externally) of an arp being essentially a MIDI note generator, it would actually be quite a bit of work to get Zebra to produce a MIDI output and, since it's essentially a synth, it's not really a core feature that Urs would be interested in.

Oh, and by the way, I also have completely failed to understand the Matrix Arp in Numerology. Though, I admit that I didn't bother to read the documentation either, so I could be completely misunderstanding it.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM

I extended the project above a bit more, added bass, pad, and drum (bassdrum and some percussive noise) parts, all MatrixArpeggiator driven.

Screencap (19MB).
Old 08-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Administrator

I checked and found a bug in the note allocation algorithm -- actually a conflict between that algorithm and the default run mode setting for the MatrixArp. If you change the mode from "MIDI Trig : Gated" to "Normal", you can avoid that bug. I also fixed a bug that could cause some notes to stay muted when they shouldn't be. Both fixes will be in build 10 -- out soon...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Awesome, thanks for that amazingly fast fix Jim!