Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Five12 > Five12 News

Old 01-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioconnell View Post
Kind of in line with the composition comments, I would really like for there to be an option on the seq step labels that would make them display the actual note (or interval) that is being output when you switch to minor or phrygian or someday to user defined scales. Also being able to set the enharmonic preference for sharps or flats would be great for those times when you want to think in E. While in some ways these are perhaps small things, as I should probably just use my ears, it would still make composition a much more smooth process.
If you look in the "advanced settings" panel for most sequencers, there is a "Seq Step Labels" menu for changing the readout for each step. I'm also adding your notes to mine on tunings and scales to include better options for naming notes, those are all good suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioconnell View Post
Thanks for all the awesome work Jim, look forward to the next release, hopefully the job market will be kind by then so I can upgrade ASAP to Pro .
You're welcome! I'm going to be (nearly) full-time on N3 very soon now...

Jim
Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 AM

Hi !

Do you plan to code "simple" synthesis modules ?

I'm looking for a specific instrument ; kind of simple FM/substractive blipbox with ;

- 8x osc
- ADSR env. for each oscillator
- 8x multimode filters
- ADSR env. for each filter
- 1x noise-generator
- 1x ADSR env. for it

That's all ! I have AraldFX dks pro, but I don't like the sound very much. I prefer Max/msp-like sound, or nord lead's rythmic kts (apart kicks)

And I don't think there are many drumboxes like this on the software market.

My computer is a bit old now ; it doesn't like rewire and multitask at all, I know I have a bad issue on the motherboard. Apple can fix it... for 800 euros ^^

So, I have to plan on a really optimized workstation, with less non-native plugins ! Live is cool, but I can't groove like N2 sequencer now !

Cheers

PS : Oh, or if you don't, maybe do you have some tips to code my own ?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.N.U. View Post
Hi !
Do you plan to code "simple" synthesis modules ?
Yes, actually... I want to have a basic set of synthesis modules that fit well with the others.

Quote:
I'm looking for a specific instrument ; kind of simple FM/substractive blipbox with ;

- 8x osc
- ADSR env. for each oscillator
- 8x multimode filters
- ADSR env. for each filter
- 1x noise-generator
- 1x ADSR env. for it
Those will all be covered. The current envelope will be beefed up a bit to work properly at synthesis rates (and the LFO). I have a prototype multi-mode filter floating around, and some interesting ideas for an oscillator. Both VCA's and noise generators are pretty easy. The great thing about all modular systems is that it only takes a few flexible modules to create a wide range of synthesis options.

Quote:
PS : Oh, or if you don't, maybe do you have some tips to code my own ?
Well, there are a lot of AU's out there, and many of them are cheap or free, and any decent analog-emulation plugin can create good drum sounds-- it is just a matter of setting up a stack to host several of them at a time.

Another option that I often use is to get my hands on some real analog gear, spend an hour or so recording blips and bloops and sample editing them to make sounds for the DrumKit module. It doesn't have a pitch envelope, but it does have individual outs so you can do quite a bit with each voice.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Lightbulb

Maybe you could contract Urs to make some modules?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Maybe you could contract Urs to make some modules?
I had considered that a while back, but it really doesn't make much sense on many levels. Most synthesis algorithms are actually quite easy to write. It took me all of two days to find and modify a low-pass filter algorithm to make a usable module, the only trick is that I need to mess w/ the gain coefficients a bit to get the resonance response I want. On the oscillator side, I've been itching to do a nice scanning-wavetable algorithm for a while. I'm not terribly interested in trying to emulate specific hardware, but that doesn't mean we can't have something that sounds good and is a lot of fun to use. And since I've got a Moog Voyager and a eurorack modular sitting behind me all day long, I do know what the real stuff sounds like....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Honestly, I just wanted n2 to sequence with. If those functions are solid, any synth stuff would totally be icing.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Those will all be covered. The current envelope will be beefed up a bit to work properly at synthesis rates (and the LFO). I have a prototype multi-mode filter floating around, and some interesting ideas for an oscillator. Both VCA's and noise generators are pretty easy. The great thing about all modular systems is that it only takes a few flexible modules to create a wide range of synthesis options.
Good to know

But I have forgotten the important thing of my message

... Pitch envelope ? Or "simple" (I don't know if it is easy to code) modular features (plug envelope module to vco's tune) ?

Quote:
Well, there are a lot of AU's out there, and many of them are cheap or free, and any decent analog-emulation plugin can create good drum sounds--
Yeah I know... But I don't like most of them. I don't like the "substractive" perc. sounds, I prefer FM synthesis for main drum sounds, and some substractive sounds for some blips and noises.

However, I plan to make my own FM DIY synth with Ucapps, next years. I really like these boxes...

Quote:
it is just a matter of setting up a stack to host several of them at a time.
Big matter. I have issues with this !

I try to make a big "drums" stack with 4 drumkits, and 4 DKS ; with only one matrixseq module. But I can't assign notes on matrixseq ; so, I can't change sounds randomly, with lfo's. I don't know how to do, I'll search again.

Quote:
Another option that I often use is to get my hands on some real analog gear
Yep, I want It is an option for the future.

Thanks ! N3 will be the One, I guess.

Quote:
Honestly, I just wanted n2 to sequence with. If those functions are solid, any synth stuff would totally be icing.
Different approach Imo, I'm alright with what you said (My music often is heavily-sequenced, and I never do sequencing without spending many hours on it !), but I know quite precisely the sounds I want. And if they are native, it's better for my computer...
Old 01-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
... Pitch envelope ? Or "simple" (I don't know if it is easy to code) modular features (plug envelope module to vco's tune) ?
There will be *lots* of modulation options: linear pitch, log pitch, etc. etc. Setting up a pitch envelope will be easy, as will linear FM. I'm a big fan of audio-rate modulation so you can expect to see plenty of options for that.

Quote:
I try to make a big "drums" stack with 4 drumkits, and 4 DKS ; with only one matrixseq module. But I can't assign notes on matrixseq ; so, I can't change sounds randomly, with lfo's. I don't know how to do, I'll search again.
To set notes directly for rows in the MatrixSeq, just click and drag on the note names. Up and down for the note and left and right for the octave. There's no way to modulate those values yet, but you're welcome to request it. However, you can easily shift all notes in a column up and down by plugging the output of an IntervalSeq into the PitchIn port of the MatrixSeq, or by using the NoteProcessor to randomize things a bit...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodama View Post
Sequencing is and will remain the core -- 90% of what is planned for N3 is about making sequencing better and better, at all levels. However, there are many benefits to extending the basic sampling options that are there now with a few synthesis oriented modules and a couple effects (delay, ringmod). As anyone who has used a modular synth knows, it doesn't take many different types of modules to have a really, really good time...

Jim
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
If you look in the "advanced settings" panel for most sequencers, there is a "Seq Step Labels" menu for changing the readout for each step. I'm also adding your notes to mine on tunings and scales to include better options for naming notes, those are all good suggestions.
I guess it would be easier to explain with a picture, I can email one to illustrate better if you'd like. But what I had meant is that if, in advanced settings, I select [Seq Step Labels]=[Note Name], and put the seq in say, C Maj, it will move and display chromatically, while outputting diatonically. (ie the note display says Db3, even though it's really outputting D3) When moving the sliders, it would make life easier if it just said what the output would actually (D3) be, as opposed to what it would have been if I had selected chromatic scale mode. Same thing for intervals, I don't want to know that it would have been a ii when it's actually outputting a II whether I'm on the fader position for ii or II. if need be for other peoples compositional styles, there could be a switch to go between the current display method and the Diatonic Display Method (DDM- now trademarked in 13 counties and municipalities )

I know this probably isn't a big deal to most, and I'm probably coming off as a pain, I just keep doing the, "wait, what's a B natural doing in that sequence, I thought I was in Ab Phrygian... oh yeah, nevermind."

Still Happy, just easily confused,
Kai