Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Audio Units

Old 12-27-2010, 03:56 PM

Default Best AU synth for N3 ?

Hey.

I just bought N3Pro ; I was on N2, but I used to produce on Live last months.

Live is nice ; but... I dunno, I want to change. AND, N3 have a serious groove

So I'm working on it. I'm actually using Drumkits (Jim, big thanks for making preset selection possible, and all the new stuff !!), and now I want to add some synths to this liveset ; I don't know what is better. I'm talking about something which is CPU light, and the better is a synth with good integration capabilities (simple for parammods tweaks, etc).

I'll see what I can do with the N3 sampler ; I'm not a sampler person, I use to deal with synths so... I'll try (best integration ever, I guess). But I'd like to meet a nice synth for this nice software.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 PM

You might wanna put this beauty in your folder... I love it for bass.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/36.html
Old 12-28-2010, 01:17 AM

I have noticed that Fab Filter's Twin 2 uses quite few CPU recourses. This one also offers a huge library of patches and can sound quite different. A versatile "workhorse" virtual instrument. I like it with Numerology because my Macbook can then run a lot of stacks in a session and create music on the spot.

I also like CamelAudio's Alchemy, but i really bogs down the CPU a lot and that makes less fun in Numerolgy. I rather tend to use Alchemy in Logic where you can freeze tracks to free up CPU as you slowly create music.
soundcloud.com/pboy
Old 12-28-2010, 03:11 AM

Wow, thanks ! I didn't expect a so fast answer.

I'm tweaking Alpha free right now ; I like it ! Very analogue-ish, Minilogue style basslines.

I'll try Fabfilter Twin demo ; I already have Volcano, wich is an incredible powerful and CPU-light filter, for both studio and live use.

I have another question ; I search an "easy" way to change synth presets without touching my mouse. Or Drumkit presets. Is it possible ? If it is, please let me know.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Numerologist

You could use the Program Change module to switch patches dynamically (that is if your AU/instrument accepts prog change messages...)
Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 AM

Program changes seem to be a good idea ; I don't use it, I never did. Maybe it's time

-- Jim Horning
Old 12-29-2010, 06:40 PM

Alchemy is great But yes, can tax CPU a bit and is sample based so that's 2 strikes against your list.

Be sure to check out Zebra by U-he ... generally light on CPU, it's a "wireless modular" system - almost any sound can be created with Zebra. Very intuitive, excellent sound, actively developed, huge collection of user created presets. Also includes "Zebrify" which is an FX version of Zebra.

http://www.u-he.com/zebra/

Note: the demo is fully functional, but will start playing random notes after 10 or 15 minutes. Delete the instance and create a new one to stay in tune.

Peace,
Andy.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Numerologist

Not really an Audio Unit but I was traveling for the holidays and got a lot out of a Num3 & Reason combo. I forgot how damn CPU efficient and feature complete Reason is. Plus it has "traditional" MIDI recording & arrangement so I think they complement each other nicely.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:24 AM

If your looking for CPU efficiency coupled with great analog sound you can't get better than the Gforce synths (Imposcar and Oddity are particular impressive) but as a leftfield consideration I highly recommend the Luxonix Purity (an emulation of a classic nineties workstation in the vein of the M1 or D50 but with resonant filters).

It's as far removed from an analog emulation as you can possibly get (it even contains General Midi compatibility, horror of horrors!). But don't let the GM badge fool you, this is a mighty powerful beast - 16 part multi-timbral, 1024 voice polyphony (64 per channel), 24 highly usable insert effects and every single parameter open to modulation by Numerology. And did I mention the CPU efficiency! You're not going to rewrite a Kraftwerk classic with this thing but no other $99 synth else gives you 16 channels of modulatable sounds for less than 5% CPU hit on a modern processor. And as bonus 90's D50 type timbres are back in vogue! Download the demo from the strange as it may seem Korean developer, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.luxonix.com/home/en/products.html?id=purity

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/

JM
------------
http://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble
Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 AM

Another one : Synplant Sonic Charge for FM-ish sound and weird tweaking, small GUI footprint and also very low CPU usage ....
(and of course Microtonic at the same editor)