Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 12-09-2016, 06:12 AM

Default What's going on?

Hey all,

I wonder what is going on here?

There is no update since half a year.

Before that, we had 10 (!) updates in the same time period.

Also like I mentioned somewhere else the changelogs were very small

in the last updates. The forum also is pretty much dead these days.

I wonder why that is?

Best,

tL.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Things are moving along -- but that progress isn't always visible on the forum. There have been 5 update builds since July, mostly fixes and a few small features. A new build is coming up shortly (next week) with a new controller mapping that seems simple enough, but is loads of fun in practice. Also, things are moving along with the multi-threaded rendering engine, but there's still a fair bit of work to do there before I can send it out for testing. There are also a variety of interesting things I can't announce yet...

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-10-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Things are moving along -- but that progress isn't always visible on the forum. There have been 5 update builds since July, mostly fixes and a few small features. A new build is coming up shortly (next week) with a new controller mapping that seems simple enough, but is loads of fun in practice. Also, things are moving along with the multi-threaded rendering engine, but there's still a fair bit of work to do there before I can send it out for testing. There are also a variety of interesting things I can't announce yet...

Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim , What is the multi-threaded rendering engine meaning for us in Numerology, exactly ?
Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Hi Jim , What is the multi-threaded rendering engine meaning for us in Numerology, exactly ?
Thanks
If you are running Numerology standalone, it will allow you to run more plugins (and modules) before having any CPU issues... It will be a Pro-only feature, at least for a while.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-12-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
If you are running Numerology standalone, it will allow you to run more plugins (and modules) before having any CPU issues... It will be a Pro-only feature, at least for a while.

Cheers,
Jim
So, Multi-Thread is not Multi-core ?
Right

Thank you
Old 12-12-2016, 08:04 AM

Multi-thread allows the software to spread CPU calculations over multiple cores of your computer. So it is not the same, but you can think about it
as kind of the same...
Old 12-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytz1 View Post
Multi-thread allows the software to spread CPU calculations over multiple cores of your computer. So it is not the same, but you can think about it
as kind of the same...
According to my readings, Multi-Thread could be on one core too !
Is'nt it ?
Old 12-12-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytz1 View Post
as kind of the same...
See this ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33285-figure-1.jpg (72.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
So, Multi-Thread is not Multi-core ?
Right
Multi-Core is a hardware term -- the CPU has multiple physical cores. Multi-thread is a software term -- multiple threads of execution within a single process. (Where process basically means 'app'). Assigning threads to CPUs is a very important part of what the OS does, and involves both thread priority, how busy the thread is, and what else is going on in other processes. On OS X, when a set of threads are setup for audio processing, the OS will do it's best to spread the work of those threads across all available CPU cores.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-13-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Multi-Core is a hardware term -- the CPU has multiple physical cores. Multi-thread is a software term -- multiple threads of execution within a single process. (Where process basically means 'app'). Assigning threads to CPUs is a very important part of what the OS does, and involves both thread priority, how busy the thread is, and what else is going on in other processes. On OS X, when a set of threads are setup for audio processing, the OS will do it's best to spread the work of those threads across all available CPU cores.

Cheers,
Jim
Thank you Jim