Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 03-31-2018, 07:39 PM

Default can bitwig modulators control n4 vst parameters?

I apologize once again if this question is too basic. I'm trying to delve more deeply into numerology, and learn bitwig simultaneously.

I read a hint somewhere that the modulators should be able to work with 3rd party plugins. Thus far I'm puzzled how to set that up, though, and I'm suspecting that it isn't possible.

I can easily set a modulator to affect parameters of the bitwig synth, polysynth. But this seems to be because it just shows up in the interface (sorry - don't have the lingo down yet), whereas with Numerology you have to explicitly show the plugin editor, and there seems to be no way of telling a parameter to be modulated by the bitwig modulator.

has anyone else tried and succeeded at doing this? Of course, given Numerology's own modulation, it isn't absolutely essential, but it seemed like a cool thing to try and get working.

edit - hmmm. don't think i'm describing this well. in my first test, I had numerology controlling a hardware instrument. The hardware instrument doesn't have controls like the bitwig polysynth, so it seems like I'd have to control the numerology parameters directly. But how?

Last edited by droolmaster0; 03-31-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:23 PM

well, this actually looks very fun - combining numerology with its own modulations, and using the Bitwig modulations together with it.

However, I think that my original question reduces to whether it is possible to choose specific numerology parameters to show in the vst device, so that the knobs can be modulated. I will continue to research this. It looks like synths present their parameters right there in the device, but Numerology (i'm guessing because of the tremendous number of them) does not. But maybe there is a way of choosing which ones show up?

if anyone has worked on this and knows how to do this, please chime in. But even if it doesn't work, numerology within bitwig seems like a fine combination.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
However, I think that my original question reduces to whether it is possible to choose specific numerology parameters to show in the vst device, so that the knobs can be modulated.
The N4 plugins don't publish any parameters yet, which I plan to change in N5. The issue, as you mention, is the absurd number of parameters which could be published (I think it is nearly 1000 just for a single long NoteSequencer), which, regardless of the UI in the host, gets to be silly to navigate. The solution I plan to pursue is to publish some very common and likely targets for NoteSequencers (start/end point, rate, direction, etc), and a set of 8 or 16 generic params that would available as CV sources for ParamMod or other uses.

Jim
Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
The N4 plugins don't publish any parameters yet, which I plan to change in N5. The issue, as you mention, is the absurd number of parameters which could be published (I think it is nearly 1000 just for a single long NoteSequencer), which, regardless of the UI in the host, gets to be silly to navigate. The solution I plan to pursue is to publish some very common and likely targets for NoteSequencers (start/end point, rate, direction, etc), and a set of 8 or 16 generic params that would available as CV sources for ParamMod or other uses.

Jim
Is it possible to select parameters within Numerology itself that could be published for individual Bitwig (or other DAW) projects? I love experimenting with this stuff, and it would be great to only show those parameters that I choose, on a case by case basis. But I obviously don't understand the technology behind it.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolmaster0 View Post
Is it possible to select parameters within Numerology itself that could be published for individual Bitwig (or other DAW) projects? I love experimenting with this stuff, and it would be great to only show those parameters that I choose, on a case by case basis. But I obviously don't understand the technology behind it.
That's definitely possible, but very time consuming to implement, so I have to say no just on the scope control front.

BTW: If you can get Bitwig modulators to generate MIDI, you can do pretty much anything that way now....

Jim
Old 04-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
That's definitely possible, but very time consuming to implement, so I have to say no just on the scope control front.

BTW: If you can get Bitwig modulators to generate MIDI, you can do pretty much anything that way now....

Jim
I tried to set that up, using the mapping within N4, but was unable to get it to work. Very likely it was user error. And their docs are rather sparse about setting up this kind of thing.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Try generating CC #1 into the N4 plugin and use the MIDI To CV module to convert it. Be sure you have MIDI from the StackIn module routed to the MIDI to CV.

Jim
Old 04-04-2018, 12:06 PM

ah. ok. will try that later after work.