Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Default Multiple Clock Bases?

Perhaps there is a tricky way to accomplish this? I would like to have multiple and DIFFERENT clocks running (in each stack for instance) so, for example, I could have:

-Several delay units processing external audio, each using a different clock division or being unrelated to incoming BPM (i.e. a tempo based part running at 100 bpm with delay set to 89 BPM).

-Several drum machines, again with different clocks...Part 1= 100BPM, Part 2= 97 BPM, Part 3=95 BPM etc).

-ETC

The idea is to easily run UNRELATED (not 'locked') clocking systems for experimentation. I do not see any direct way of accomplishing this but perhaps there is a indirect way?

Thanks in advance (and if not, consider this a 'Feature Request' )
Old 01-02-2011, 11:34 AM

I haven't played much with the clock, but with the Groove Clock module (under CV Gen), it appears that you can have an independent Groove Clock, running at any speed, in any stack. Its clock signal can be routed to sequencers in that stack, or to one of the two Clock buses not used by the Master Clock.

Do audiounits receive their clock signals through the midi stream?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Oh, thanks Yasha...something to look into for sure then. Appreciate the idea ;-)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Administrator

For any sequencing module there are two different ways to achieve independent clocking:
- Use one of the non-standard run modes, in particular speed or percent mode.
- Use a secondary GrooveClock module.

I generally recommend the former, as it is easier to manage, and gives you the option of being able to quickly drop back into sync.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasha View Post
Do audiounits receive their clock signals through the midi stream?
All AUs get tempo info from the master clock.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
All AUs get tempo info from the master clock.

Cheers,
Jim
Ah, there is the rub...it was at least one important part of my goal to have one or more AU FX independently clocked. No way then?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy C View Post
Ah, there is the rub...it was at least one important part of my goal to have one or more AU FX independently clocked. No way then?
Not for now. What AU's are you using that use tempo info?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 PM

I just upgraded to 3 Pro this week, and look forward to jumping in soon (it is flu time so I can't concentrate now). Amazing work, Jim. Most of my work so far has been in 1.4 so I need to catch up.

It is probably fairly central to the way you wrote Numerology, but I would rather there not be a master clock at all. Independent sequences are always in sync, although it may not be obvious - my experience is from building analog sequencers and making Max patches. Still this hardly limits the fun of Numerology!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
Not for now. What AU's are you using that use tempo info?

Cheers,
Jim
Two favorites as FX are U-HE 'Filterscape' and FabFilter 'Timeless 2'. I presently 'bounce' my tracks in Logic to one specified set of tempos then play them through at another (i.e above FX) but was looking for a real time solution ;-)

Another favorite (and presently doable!, thank you) use of above is to have a continuously variable clock via Numerology while processing (random master clock speed) and re-recording tracks 'live', gives that 'improv/live' aspect to delay-based FX (think stoned mad Jamaican producer at the helm ).
Old 01-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Two favorites as FX are U-HE 'Filterscape' and FabFilter 'Timeless 2'. I presently 'bounce' my tracks in Logic to one specified set of tempos then play them through at another (i.e above FX) but was looking for a real time solution ;-)
A question: Is there any reason you can't use ModSeqs to drive param changes in these plugins?

Quote:
Another favorite (and presently doable!, thank you) use of above is to have a continuously variable clock via Numerology while processing (random master clock speed) and re-recording tracks 'live', gives that 'improv/live' aspect to delay-based FX (think stoned mad Jamaican producer at the helm ).
Crazy. I'd love to hear some of it!

Cheers,
Jim