Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Numerology > General Questions

Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM

Default Chord Sequencer (yes, I'm new...)

While the chord sequencer appears to be very powerful, in terms of generating chords, I can't seem to figure out how to get the chords fit to chosen scale.

For example, if I set the scale to D Minor, how do I get the chord degrees (I, II, III, etc) to default to scale values?

The MonoNote seems to do this automatically....
Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM

I've been frustrated by the chord sequencer lately -- I was going to wait until I figured out a thorough suggestion, but I'll sketch out what I'd like to see.

It seems to me that the chord sequencer should be split into two states or separate modules, one chromatic & one modal.

In the chromatic state, one could choose any chord -- the chord roots would not limited to the diatonic scale. So, for example, even if the key selected is C, you could include a both an E major and Eb major chord in the sequence.

In the modal state, you would not choose a chord type, just family. Chords would be constrained to the scale chosen. This would make it a lot easier to use Numerology for modal/diatonic music. Inspiration for this could be taken from V. J. Manzo's EAMIR applications which are built upon his modal object library for Max/MSP (there's a Pure Data version, too).

Part of this solution might involve changing the scale mapping. Currently, if you run the chord sequencer through the NoteQuantizer, you don't get the chords you would expect. For example, if the NoteQuantizer were set to C Major, you would expect a D major chord to become a D minor chord, but this is not what you get. (There might be a mathematical impossibility involved here -- I haven't worked this out yet).
Old 05-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Administrator

As you've both found, chord seq is not yet smart enough to auto-pick the correct chord for a key -- you have to know which one to use to get the best match. Part of the reason is that I need to find a balance between flexibility and "automaticity". For instance, since I want to be able to support custom chord libraries someday, I can't just hard-code all the 'normal' mappings -- the trick is to write a good general purpose algorithm that works both for the usual cases, and at least reasonably well for unusual ones.

Anyway, an update in this area on my list, and now is a good time to ping me on it...

Cheers,
Jim