Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum


Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Hardware Synths & Effects

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 PM
jday jday is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Default need help with controlling some outboard gear

hi, I have 3 different korg electribe models, as well as a juno 106 that I would like to control with numerology. I have it sending note data ok, but I am having a hell of a time getting cc data to work correctly. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

f.y.i. the 3 electribes I have are the ea1 er1 and the emx1
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,580
Default

I don't remember off the top of my head if the ER-1 supports CC at all, but I do know that it supports NRPN -- I used it as a demo wayyy back. Have you tried that? I can probably scarf something up if you can't get NRPN to work.

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 PM
jday jday is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Default

yeah I have gotten a lot farther along making that stuff work, now I am having trouble getting my drum machines to work. also the midi implementation chart for the emx1 is very difficult to decipher.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2008, 06:06 PM
jday jday is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jday View Post
yeah I have gotten a lot farther along making that stuff work, now I am having trouble getting my drum machines to work. also the midi implementation chart for the emx1 is very difficult to decipher.
OK oddly enough the problem with my drum machines is that you have to trigger them with a note 1 octave below what they state in the documentation. Don't know why that is, but it works.

Now I am having a heck of a time interpreting the midi implementation chart for the emx1 found here:

http://www.korg.com/service/downloadinfo.asp?DID=607

My goal is to create a template file with different stacks for every instrument which are all set up to control every knob button and slider which has any bearing on the instrument functions of the electribes and my juno. I don't intend to use the built in sequencing capacity of the electribes at all. I just want them to be slave tone generators.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,580
Default

Looking at "EMX1midiimp.txt", if you scroll down about 1/3rd, you will
see "TABLE 1 : NON REGISTERED PARAMETER NUMBER", these are the
things that can be controlled via NRPN. The first two columns are the
MSB/LSB parts of the NRPN 'controller number'-- though I'm not certain
which order they are in. All of those values are in hexadecimal format,
which if you google online, you should find a conversion table (The NRPN
module in Numerology uses standard base-10 decimals).

Let me know if you're still stuck after reading this, I'll be working on example files over the next few days...

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
jday jday is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Well I have completely mapped out the EMX1 and I have everything working well except for one thing, perhaps you can help me out here Jim.

Under the NRPN listing in the midi implementation file you can find the following entry:

| 09 20 | Drum1 Wave | Drum | MSB,LSB | 0~143
(*T1-2) |


Now the "(*T1-2)" bit refers to this table later down the file:

*T1-2 : Data Entry Conversion
MIDI Data
MSB : 0MMMMMMM (0~7F), LSB : 0LLLLLLL (0~7F)
Data
00MMMMMMMLLLLLLL (0~3FFF)


I can't understand what this is supposed to mean. I have an nrpn generator for drum wavs set up and it reads 09 32 for the msb,lsb part. But when I change the values min value slider, a change of just 1 number in numerology produces a change of 64 on the wave table readout on the electribe sequencer screen.

I have attached my Numerology file as it stands in case you want to see what I am up to.
Attached Files
File Type: zip drums.nmp.zip (103.7 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 AM
jday jday is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jday View Post
Well I have completely mapped out the EMX1 and I have everything working well except for one thing, perhaps you can help me out here Jim.

Under the NRPN listing in the midi implementation file you can find the following entry:

| 09 20 | Drum1 Wave | Drum | MSB,LSB | 0~143
(*T1-2) |


Now the "(*T1-2)" bit refers to this table later down the file:

*T1-2 : Data Entry Conversion
MIDI Data
MSB : 0MMMMMMM (0~7F), LSB : 0LLLLLLL (0~7F)
Data
00MMMMMMMLLLLLLL (0~3FFF)


I can't understand what this is supposed to mean. I have an nrpn generator for drum wavs set up and it reads 09 32 for the msb,lsb part. But when I change the values min value slider, a change of just 1 number in numerology produces a change of 64 on the wave table readout on the electribe sequencer screen.

I have attached my Numerology file as it stands in case you want to see what I am up to.
I have had some luck now using a fader box wired by cv to the nrpn generator, and using decimal numbers to control the wave selection funtion, however it seems highly un predictable, as if the transmission of data is intermittent and not reliable, or predictable. I have had the most luck using numbers that range between -1.00 and 2.00 by increments of 0.01 but perhaps there is a "magic increment" and range by which the data needs to be sent? Is that maybe what the quoted table t1-2 is about?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-26-2008, 02:11 AM
jday jday is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7
Default

ok I went and did some homework on nrpn generation, turns out I was able to activate the nrpn generator, and then create cc generators on 99 and 98 to control data entry, this works perfectly except for one fatal flaw. I can't get the cc generators to stay all the way down on zero. Is this a bug? please help...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-26-2008, 05:33 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jday View Post
ok I went and did some homework on nrpn generation, turns out I was able to activate the nrpn generator, and then create cc generators on 99 and 98 to control data entry, this works perfectly except for one fatal flaw. I can't get the cc generators to stay all the way down on zero. Is this a bug? please help...
Email me you example file privately and I'll take a look at it.
(jim at five 12 dot com...)

Cheers,
Jim
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
jim jim is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 4,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jday View Post
I have had the most luck using numbers that range between -1.00 and 2.00 by increments of 0.01 but perhaps there is a "magic increment" and range by which the data needs to be sent? Is that maybe what the quoted table t1-2 is about?
I think there may be a bug there, I'll dig up my ER-1 and do some spelunking...

Jim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.