Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 AM

Default Apc 40

now this is the perfect device to control numerology isnīt it.

would it be possible to control some of the stepsequencing functions with this?

i would love to try this out!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Administrator

I haven't seen any specs yet, but it might work pretty well if you can send prog changes with the grid buttons and the usual CC stuff with the knobs.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-15-2009, 10:48 AM

Just got one of these monsters. Gonna mess around with it extensively this weekend I'll report back as to how it communicates midi. I gotta say its amazing with Ableton... great for jaming and recording. Barely have to touch the mouse. We'll see what happens with numerology... I'm guessing that the grid buttons and all the lit buttons for that matter are going to lose they're functionality.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:50 PM

ok... so i had a chance to play around with this thing and numerology... as soon as you leave ableton live the unit goes into a "dumb" mode... the clip trigger buttons... stop being momentary toggles and cease to stay lit up, upon further inspection using midipipe, I discovered that the clip trigger buttons send a note on and off... useless

the track activate, solo and record arm buttons stay as toggles, and they send a note on pressed and then a note off when pressed again... so you have three rows of 8 there... but i can't figure out how to get numerology to learn their messages... a whole row sends the same exact note but on channels 1-8... Any ideas on this?

So that leaves the sliders and knobs those work fine... but you really only get one bank... the pan,send a, send b etc.. buttons don't change the controllers they actually just send notes in this "dumb" mode. Its fun the step sequence with the knobs and sliders but right now thats about all you can do. This is really making me want to learn Bomes Midi Translator because I'm sure that you could make some cool stuff happen but I'd rather be making music... So I guess in a nutshell the APC is awesome for ableton live but loses quite a bit of functionality outside the program.

Jim any ideas about how I might use the toggle rows as step sequencer buttons? again the row sends one note say A4 but then on channels 1-8 for each button.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 PM

I'm new to Numerology but so far my best trick w/ Ableton + APC40 is using the Live MIDI plug 'Random' and a control/dummy clip to iterate through stack presets from one button.

Stack presets should be recalled by MIDI input, and sequenced in a list where each step is one-semitone values.

Random should be set with:

Mode: Alt (this changes the 'Random' selector from random to iterating through the list of defined choices)
Chance: 100%
Choices: (How ever many stack presets you want to move through, how long the list is)
Scale: 1

The clip needs to have a single MIDI note that corresponds to the root Stack preset (bottom of the list)

Quantize: None
Launch Mode: Trigger
No Looping

At the end, there will be one button lit up on the APC 40 where the control clip is placed; simply press this to cycle through the presets.

In actual practice there are interesting variations on this which I'm just starting to figure out, but it was pretty fun to have this work; you can create multiple lists and put multiple buttons for example, and sort of have not different patterns but different iterative sequencing per scene. Has kept me up pretty late at night

I feel like the perfect thing would start with a 16-step sequence where each step can be selected by rows 1-2 or 4-5 on the APC. Bome's MIDI translator may also be critically useful here. Needs a lot of investigation, but there are some YouTube videos floating around doing surprising things with the APC, hopefully some great things are possible.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 AM

Hmmm... thats an interesting idea... maybe I've been thinking about it all wrong... I was trying to use the APC standalone with Numerology... but why fight the fact that it works really well with ableton... I suppose you could use dummy clips to make all sorts of crazy stuff happen at your fingertips with the apc.... possibly build some semblance of a stepsequencer in rows of eight..... hmmmmmm.....
Old 03-29-2010, 06:42 PM

Any update on any APC-40/20 support? I don't "yet" have a launchpad but plan on getting one soon unless The APC is going to be supported in the near future. I would rather not buy a new controller if I don't have to.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic View Post
Any update on any APC-40/20 support? I don't "yet" have a launchpad but plan on getting one soon unless The APC is going to be supported in the near future. I would rather not buy a new controller if I don't have to.
I recommend going for the Launchpad. The APC is still on the todo list, but has dropped in priority a bit, both due to how well the Launchpad works, and the possibility of doing something for the iPhone/iPad....

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 AM

haha! I bought a launchpad on a whim today shortly after I posted. Brilliant control scheme for N2 so far. Props!