Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 01-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Default BCR2000 ... caution: Behringer

I've never purchased anything from Behringer, and was hesitant to do so based on their rep ... but I went ahead and got a BCR2000 anyway, as it was pretty much the only choice at the time. Well, long story short ... surprise, surprise, I got a defective unit (encoder 1 in the top row of the bottom section non-functional.) I've tried repeatedly to get a fix/replacement, with absolutely no luck. I'm probably going to get a Livid Code and write this off as a learning experience (I would have gotten the Code in the first place, but it wasn't available at the time ...)
Old 01-23-2011, 03:20 AM

Default Sorry to hear about your problem

Not a nice experience to buy new gear that's defective and then not get proper follow up on repair or return..

I'm getting hardware control going on in my set-up.

Bought the Waldorf Blofeld, for it's keyboard with aftertouch and pitchbend modwheel minimalistic styling and it's really good synth engine helps alleviate some of the CPU load from the computer.

I have the novation launchpad, which used with Numerology make's the program a whole lot more fun and adds a new dimension to the experience. It's mixer funcionallity is quite good especially the auxes and mute and pan are useful. The audio channels have a coarse resolution that makes them useless for live mixing but they give a strong visual impression of the state of the levels in a mix and are good for setting up prelimenary levels quickly.

I use a novation nocturn which I've mapped throgh Automap midi and midi to CV modules to control the Numerology mixer, aux sends channel levels and solo.

I'm an original owner of the Motu miditimepiece II crazy piece of gear almost twenty years old and still seems advanced as far as functionanlity. It has four beefy encoders for midi CC's and two pedal inputs that I've set-up to send foot controller and breath controller info with front panel setups that can send it to any of the eight outputs on the miditimepiece.

There's two assignable footpedal/pedal inputs on the korg Wavestation AD plus a mini joystick, the Ensoniq DP4 has a stereo footswitch and a CV pedal input. These can all be routed anywhere through the eight outputs on the miditimepiece.

Finally in a week I'll be taking delivery of NI's Maschine! It's large sound library and interface attracts me like a Bear to honey.

I still need faders somewhere in all this, but I just would not be happy with the cheasy faders on midi keyboard controllers.

The controller you are planning to buy has also caught my eye, but on the otherhand I also need more analog inputs than the eight my motu traveller mkIII has, so my strategy is to wait awhile, save up for a digital mixer like the yamaha 16-4-2. That has inputs and can be used as a midi controller. When good faderboxes are so expensive it starts to make a digital mixer seem like a better choice as far as the most flexibility on a budget is concerned. The added audio inputs midi control, more audio processing without taxing the computers CPU make a lot of sense.

The yamaha mixer I'm looking at is around 2300usd plus I'll need to get an extra adat optical module to get the full 8 channels at 96khz that I'm looking for. So saving up by not buying fancy fader boxes will get the real deal into my studio a bit faster.. How much would sixteen motorized faders cost bought seperately?

If this setup develops this far in a couple of years It'll do me for the next ten years, after that I think I'll just take up the pennywhistle and an middle eastern framedrum and go on a walk-a-about

I hijacked the thread a little, but I wanted to share some of my thoughts about hardware control with someone who is using his hard earned cash on simple controllers in fancy boxes.

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-23-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 PM

Wow, MTPII ... that sure takes me back in the day. Likewise the DP/4 ... used to have one of those, had lots of fun running CV from my MS-20 into the pedal input you speak of. Noisy boxes, but really great.

Make sure the mixer you're thinking of "motorizes" the faders in controller mode ... I had (or still have, albeit in doorstop mode) an 01v, and when it goes into controller mode, the faders lose all awareness of the motors and it acts like a "dumb" fader box. Presumably newer Yamaha stuff doesn't have this "feature."
Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 AM

Default Old stuff is fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5tevens View Post
Wow, MTPII ... that sure takes me back in the day. Likewise the DP/4 ... used to have one of those, had lots of fun running CV from my MS-20 into the pedal input you speak of. Noisy boxes, but really great.

Make sure the mixer you're thinking of "motorizes" the faders in controller mode ... I had (or still have, albeit in doorstop mode) an 01v, and when it goes into controller mode, the faders lose all awareness of the motors and it acts like a "dumb" fader box. Presumably newer Yamaha stuff doesn't have this "feature."
Thanks for the heads up on the motorized faders, hadn't thought that would be the case...

Thinking again about the motorized faders, the main reason I'd want them would be for automating mix levels, so for that the mixer would be setup to follow numerologies MTC and would not be using midi control back to numerologies midi in channel.

I would run the audio out from Numerogogy through some of the 16 adat optical outputs on my Motu Traveller into the mixer using it's EQ, and mix it with signals from hardware synths, effects modulars, microphones and for mix down out the AES outputs to a mixdown stack in Numerology

The Livid code looks hot. The block with the faders is slick, but I can't see anywhere if it's got moterized faders.. 700usd is steep but of course that includes a software program.

Their video just irritates me.. The guy dancing around the thing and it makes a hellish racket, couldn't he just tie a few pots and pans to his clothes blow a whisle and bang a drum do a tap dance on a metal plate with alternatating smooth and scraTchy surface sections and get the same effect??

The controls for this type of performing should just be wearable triggers in the least..

As to the Noisy DP4 I find that if I feed it a strong signal I can keep noise levels down, anyway the things in my rack it still works on it original back-up battery the programs are quite good and the interface is a breeze to use.. All that combined with Lofi being in fashion makes it viable even today..

I'm going to keep my eye out for hardware on the cheap it's not only about pure sound quality, it's about understanding audio production from different angle's.

The thought that went into the designs of the legacy gear I have used , is often top level, and working with that gear studying the interface, the factory programs,.. is an added source of knowledge for the relative newbie to all of this.

Yes I'm feel newbie like even though I'm an original owner of the DP4 and the MTP II and 2nd tier (it was 6 months used) owner of the Wavestation AD I've not got to the bottom of them yet, partly because my ignorance is somewhat persistant due to lack of time spent but also each audio project can contain elements that are so unique I sometimes feel that you have to reinvent the manual for each piece of gear!!

Get the code!!!!

Regards

Wade

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 01-24-2011 at 03:29 AM.