Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 03-02-2011, 06:25 AM

Default Can the nocturn be used alongside the launchpad without automap?

These are my main two controllers for ableton live and since I found I could use the launchpad with Numerology I've been really enjoying and appreciating (more) the workflow in the software. I see that folks here are using the nocturn succesfully in numerology although I thought that it could only be used in conjunction with automap but perhaps I'm wrong on this? Any help and tips greatly appreciated.

thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrelevance View Post
These are my main two controllers for ableton live and since I found I could use the launchpad with Numerology I've been really enjoying and appreciating (more) the workflow in the software. I see that folks here are using the nocturn succesfully in numerology although I thought that it could only be used in conjunction with automap but perhaps I'm wrong on this? Any help and tips greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Well, I use the Nocturn in Numerology with auto map which is automatic for automap wrapped plugins. For controlling sequencers and other modules you need automap midi mode, in the Automap Server settings menu choose automap midi as the input and output ports.

When an automap wrapped plug in is opened the nocturn automatically switches the focus to and goes into instrument or effects mode, if you want to change settings on a sequencer or and LFO module the nocturn has to be in mixer mode, then you can just use the usual midi learn and unlearn function to control the diffrent parametres on your modules.. Of course you have to edit your knob and button assignments on the nocturn so they have unique controller numbers..

I've also used the midi to CV module with pages of controllers from the nocturn to get more control and multiple midi channels working, but that's the hard way to do it, and in most cases it's just automap midi and mid learn that you need to use.. I duped because I wanted to control the mixer's levels but they won't assign using learn mode from the mixer window only from within the stack. But after you've assigned them there you can go out in the mixer window and control all assigned mixer channels.. Remember from within each stack you have access to midi learn..

Be warned that this does not work with midi reflect, so your settings are not saved with the project. That is to say the nocturn zeros all parameters its assigned to when you reopen a project you have been using it with.. But for real time control it does the job...The launchpad does not get seen by the automap server as it's taken over by Numerology you probably already know how to set this up if you are using it now..

One last thing launch Automap server first, then Numerology..

Regards

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 03-02-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Awesome!!

Quote:
The launchpad does not get seen by the automap server as it's taken over by Numerology.
This is was a real concern so great news also

Thanks TwoToneshuzz
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 PM

Default Hej irrelevance look again

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrelevance View Post
Awesome!!

This is was a real concern so great news also

Thanks TwoToneshuzz
I've corrected my original post as I had some inaccuracies that I've checked out.. Some months ago I used way too much effort to figure this out.. why do it the easy way is my modus it seems,, sigh...

Regards

Last edited by TwoToneshuzz; 03-02-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Unless Novation changed the default behavior of the Automap server, you may need to manually 'hide' the Launchpad from it. This is covered in the N3 manual (Ch. 17), but I'll copy the blurb here:

Quote:
Additionally, if you have Novation’s Automap Server running, you will need to take the Launchpad “offline” from automap while using it with Numerology. To do this you use a special button combination: Hold down the User1, User2 and Mixer buttons and push the “down arrow” button on the Launchpad. To reverse that setting, use the same button combination.
Cheers,
Jim