Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 AM

As I mentioned, the mod wheel on the microkey 37 is assignable, but no slider.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbsonic View Post
As I mentioned, the mod wheel on the microkey 37 is assignable, but no slider.
There are so many U-$100 options. The Korg gets great reviews, but others offer so much more. I don't really need many options, but the Oxygen by M-Audio has many knobs and buttons. I actually have an M-Audio KeyStudio 49 that I am selling to buy another controller. I wonder if I should just hold onto it. I was hoping for smaller, more compact. If I keep this I will need to buy a stand. :-). Any thoughts on the M-Audio stuff?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 AM

I have the Alesis QX25. I bought it to throw in a bag with laptop and launchpad for a portable setup, but it gets used at home and in studio too alongside my M-Audio Axiom 49.

I think it's great if 25 keys is enough for you. Aftertouch, 1 data slider, 8 assignable knobs (they are better than the ones on the M-Audio I have too), MIDI out, 4 drum pads and transport controls. Mod wheel and pitch bend both really nice too.

If you don't need the bells and whistles the normal Q25 might be perfect for you. You lose aftertouch and the drum pads/knobs/buttons but you still have the data slider and mod/pitch wheels.

I tried a few of the offerings from competitors - the Arturia one, Korg Microkey etc.

To be honest there isn't a lot in it in terms of the keys in the ones I tried. They aren't great, but sounds like they would be perfectly acceptable for your purposes. I've only had it a couple of months but it seems the build quality is pretty good.

As for the M-Audio - I've only used the Axiom and Axiom Pro for extended periods so can't speak directly to the Oxygen, but I've toured the Axiom and it's survived the plane rides etc and never let me down. Though aside from the more expensive and superior keybed and better drum pads, the Axiom is not discernibly better quality than the Alesis.

I didn't consider the Oxygen myself as it doesn't have an external MIDI port.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I was curious about the Arturia since in the images I've seen it looks pretty nice, and comes with all those sounds. Could you give a few more details about the feel, build quality etc?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbsonic View Post
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I was curious about the Arturia since in the images I've seen it looks pretty nice, and comes with all those sounds. Could you give a few more details about the feel, build quality etc?
I tried the 25 key version. It's pretty nice, in fact it was by a small margin my favourite of the ones I tried in terms of the hardware.

Keys are nice - obviously not a weighted keybed or anything considering the price, but they are perhaps a small notch more responsive than the others I played.

Knobs also good, they feel tactile and solid.

I was pretty impressed with it to be honest.

Though it does come with the software, and the software is all mapped to the controls, which works well and is really nice... the problem I had with it is that you can only edit very limited parameters. There are some really nice presets, but you are pretty limited to the extent that you can tweak them.

So I was initially attracted by the software, but when I tried it I quickly realised it wasn't for me. If you already have a good, fully equipped VA synth the question is how much you're going to use something that you can't edit or program to anything like the same extent.

I believe the more bigger/more expensive versions offer more editing options, I only tried the 25 key model.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM

Default Alesis

The Alesis 25 key controller seems like a good value. Is there any downside to that one as compared to others in that price range?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Zai View Post
The Alesis 25 key controller seems like a good value. Is there any downside to that one as compared to others in that price range?
Assuming we're talking the Q (not QX) compared to the Oxygen, the choice would be:

Oxygen 8 assignable knobs, transport controls, bit lighter

Alesis External midi out

If it's the QX, I think it's pretty well specified against everything in that price range.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Default Controller

Which controller would you get for u-$100?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM

Default KB

I'm now looking into the Novation Launchkey. They don't advertize support for Studio One, but still hoping knobs and sliders and transport are assignable. With the %15 coupon it's about $170. For what it offers, I feel good about it, but we'll see . . .