Numerology Store    Download  Video    Forum

Go Back   Five12.net -- Online Forum for the Numerology Music Sequencer > Third Party > Controllers

Old 08-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Default General Lemur Questions

Hey,

I've been having trouble finding answers to some questions I have so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm considering picking up the Lemur app.

First, I would run it on an iPhone. Not sure how hard it would be to use? Also if I ever do get an iPad I'm guessing I'd have to purchase it again?

Can the Lemur control hardware synths? What is the best option for getting midi out of my phone? iConnect Midi1?

I like the idea of grabbing a synth, my phone, and headphones and working on patterns without being connected to the computer or a keyboard.

Second question:

I'd like to be able to sequence a synth from numerology and be able to have CC control from my phone. Either for software synths or hardware synths. If I'm sending, say MonoNote to Numerology out 1 is it possible to merge the CC data that would be coming from Lemur via iConnect Midi1?

I use MIDI Patchbay for routing midi. Can I route iConnect Midi to Numerology in 1. Then send Numerology in 1 to Numerology out 1 with CC data and not disrupt the sequencer data from MonoNote?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonx View Post
Hey,

I've been having trouble finding answers to some questions I have so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm considering picking up the Lemur app.

First, I would run it on an iPhone. Not sure how hard it would be to use? Also if I ever do get an iPad I'm guessing I'd have to purchase it again?
I haven't used the Lemur app much (though that will change shortly). With TouchOSC, there's enough room on an iPhone 4s screen for 8 sliders + buttons, and a few buttons to flip between pages -- I expect a Lemur layout would have similar layout options. It is definitely a bit more fiddly than using an iPad, but it works.

If I remember correctly, Apple allows you to install purchased apps across several iOS devices, but I don't remember the exact number.

Quote:
Can the Lemur control hardware synths?
I can't confirm that, but the app store info page says it does.

Quote:
What is the best option for getting midi out of my phone? iConnect Midi1?
I can't say for sure -- probably all the options available work reasonably well...

Quote:
I like the idea of grabbing a synth, my phone, and headphones and working on patterns without being connected to the computer or a keyboard.
Same here!

Quote:
Second question:
I'd like to be able to sequence a synth from numerology and be able to have CC control from my phone. Either for software synths or hardware synths. If I'm sending, say MonoNote to Numerology out 1 is it possible to merge the CC data that would be coming from Lemur via iConnect Midi1?

I use MIDI Patchbay for routing midi. Can I route iConnect Midi to Numerology in 1. Then send Numerology in 1 to Numerology out 1 with CC data and not disrupt the sequencer data from MonoNote?
Yes, though I would use IAC busses instead of Numerology's virtual ports -- Most apps do a better job remembering IAC buss settings. Another option would be to use Numerology's FaderBox and ButtonBox module to make an editor for the target synth. Both of those modules can send MIDI CCs. Then map those controls to your Lemur setup via OSC. That gives you the option of using just OSC via WiFi from the iPhone and avoids having some cables -- but also requires N3 Pro for OSC support.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM

I downloaded touchOSC last night and have made some custom interfaces which works great! So I will likely hold off on Lemur right now.

It seems to be missing some functionality that I would like...like a Up/Down (previous/next) button for program changes. Or at least I can't figure out how to program that. I'm guessing that is because TouchOSC can't get current status from a synth. Not sure if Lemur can?

But otherwise for CC control it works great! Will be nice to use it to build out a slim phatty for full control. Or really any hidden controls in synth menus.

I like your idea of using FaderBox in numerology. With TouchOSC Bridge I can control Numerology via midi from TouchOSC with no cables, just over wifi.

Last edited by zvonx; 08-06-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It seems to be missing some functionality that I would like...like a Up/Down (previous/next) button for program changes. Or at least I can't figure out how to program that. I'm guessing that is because TouchOSC can't get current status from a synth. Not sure if Lemur can?
I'm not sure yet. Lemur is definitely more feature-rich than TouchOSC, so I'm very curious to dig into it. I've just about finished a big cleanup push on the OSC internals in N4 Pro, and am looking into adding some new features to make it easier to build really snazzy OSC control apps...

Quote:
But otherwise for CC control it works great! Will be nice to use it to build out a slim phatty for full control. Or really any hidden controls in synth menus.

I like your idea of using FaderBox in numerology. With TouchOSC Bridge I can control Numerology via midi from TouchOSC with no cables, just over wifi.
Bingo!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 PM

Jim,

What do you think is the best way to control the mute and start stop buttons via midi in touchOSC?

I am using toggles and assigning a CC value and keeping the range 0 - 127. It works as is...just not sure if there is a better way?

I set them up using midi learn.

Is it possible to create a template that will populate with say, 7 stacks, one containing a DrumSeq and Drum Synth (containing a certain kit and midi learn values), mono notes in other stacks, etc all with the midi learn CC's for my touchOSC app stored? That would be a great starting point for each new session I start. Not that it takes that long to get it all setup but...

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What do you think is the best way to control the mute and start stop buttons via midi in touchOSC?

I am using toggles and assigning a CC value and keeping the range 0 - 127. It works as is...just not sure if there is a better way?

I set them up using midi learn.
For now, that's the way to go...

Quote:
Is it possible to create a template that will populate with say, 7 stacks, one containing a DrumSeq and Drum Synth (containing a certain kit and midi learn values), mono notes in other stacks, etc all with the midi learn CC's for my touchOSC app stored? That would be a great starting point for each new session I start. Not that it takes that long to get it all setup but...
You can, but it is a lot of work -- esp. if you want to map every param on every seq. There is a launchpad emulator patch for the Lemur that I hear will work with Numerology -- that would make it much easier to program sequences w/o having to manually map all those params. Also, I am working on an 'automatic' mapping setup for OSC in N4 which would work with both TouchOSC and Lemur.

In general, I find that a grid mapping works best for sequences, but a fader/knob controller mapping works best for 'other stuff' -- mixing, synth params, CV sequences, etc. So I like to use setups that combine both: Launchpad + iPad or Launchpad + RemoteSL, etc..

Cheers,
Jim